2 questions - how does the code key work, and does the US FZ07 have this?

sdrio

I'm working on a problem here, and a bit of digging about has raised a few questions.

Problem - some scrote tried to steal my bike, and broke the ignition barrel casting. (they smacked the bars round to break the steering lock, but then discovered the disk lock and gave up).

Problem - Yamaha UK only sell the entire set, including immobilizer stuff, petrol cap and seat lock. This comes in at just under £1,000. Adding together my insurance excess and no claims, it's still not worth claiming for.

I only need the casting, everything else is OK. I have stripped it all down, but the barrel is beyond repair - the spindle that turns the ignition on has broken inside the barrel.

I have looked at the US parts site, and I can see there is an ignition barrel and wiring for about £60. The problem is that it is not exactly the same as the UK part, it is missing what I presume to be the gadgetry that 'reads' the key.

Now, I have all that, it just seems the US barrel doesn't have the lugs to fix the thing to. This doesn't look like much of a challenge to solve to me, so I'm planning to order on in the US, and ship it over.

So, to the questions;

1. Can one of our US buddys confirm that the FZ07 does not come with the radio key security system? This is for me to make sense of what I'm seeing in the parts catalog.

2. Does anyone know how the UK security system actually works - is it just a case of making sure the key is in proximity with the part of the system that is on the bike (fitted to the ignition barrel, in fact)? I will need to work out how to fix the thing to the barrel, in about the same position as it is on the UK model, but the US one doesn't have the tags. I can't see this will be too difficult though.

I'm thinking its worth the risk of spending £100 to buy and ship one over here. If it doesn't work, I haven't really lost much. If I have to spend a grand to fix it, it'll be off the road for a while.

Thoughts appreciated - clarifications gladly given.

PS - in case anyone is still interested, the respective part numbers are;

UK complete system - 1XB-W8250-00
US barrel/cable only - 2RC-82501-00-00

Last edited:

bypasser

Think about insurance impact? If it's not properly secured, to manufacturer spec, then could invalidate insurance if you haven't made this clear to them and they find out?

sdrio

Think about insurance impact? If it's not properly secured, to manufacturer spec, then could invalidate insurance if you haven't made this clear to them and they find out?
Probably, but I'm doing it so I can get it running and sell it.

I haven't been very lucky with this bike. I just want to be shot of it now.

If I do it this way, I will fully disclose the issue, and discount it to reflect that. I just don't have a grand sitting around to do the OEM job right now.

It's going to be impossible to sell as it is, as obviously it can't be started.

bypasser

I know exactly what you mean. Been in that place with dud products and you just want out. I'm just one opinion but I wouldn't buy the bike fixed that way exactly because of experience with dud products. Think you're in a tough position

sdrio

I know exactly what you mean. Been in that place with dud products and you just want out. I'm just one opinion but I wouldn't buy the bike fixed that way exactly because of experience with dud products. Think you're in a tough position
It feels like I've never been in any other position with this bloody bike.

OK, whine over, just have to put my big boy pants on and start saving up to do it properly.

nobull

Cant you buy one from a breaker, and swap over the relevant parts? Guess you've probably thought of this but that's what i'd try do, then no probs with insurance or resale (or resale value). Curious now, what other probs have you had? I'm off Yamahas from now on, but not because of bike so far, just dealers and Yamaha UK being crap with me.

sdrio

Cant you buy one from a breaker, and swap over the relevant parts? Guess you've probably thought of this but that's what i'd try do, then no probs with insurance or resale (or resale value). Curious now, what other probs have you had? I'm off Yamahas from now on, but not because of bike so far, just dealers and Yamaha UK being crap with me.
Thanks. I did have a look for 2nd hand, there was one being broken by a guy on Gumtree, but he had already used the ignition barrel. I am def keeping an eye out.

I hadn't seen the one on Ebay, Gaz2212, I'll drop him a line - seems to have everything but!

I'll keep looking, thanks a lot for the suggestions.

sdrio

The one on Ebay had already sold the lock set. I'm guessing this isn't an unusual event then, and that there are probably plenty of people looking for them 2nd hand.

sdrio

Update on this, although it's an old thread.

It works perfectly. Top (undamaged) part of my barrel fitted straight onto the new US spec one. Had to remove security bolts, but that's fairly simple to do.

US spec wiring has different connectors, but a quick test with a multimeter showed internal wiring us identical. Just had to solder the UK wiring/connectors to the end of the US spec unit and it plugs straight in.

All works exactly as it should, using my original key. Only sign anything has changed is the fact there is a joint in the wiring.

Yamaha UK price for fixing this was £850 plus fitting.

I paid £110 for the parts, including shipping from the US, and fitted myself in about 2 hours.

CVSensei

Glad you got it sorted mate, not sure you're after pity but I really do feel sorry for you. A bike should be a stress reliever not the cause!

sdrio

Glad you got it sorted mate, not sure you're after pity but I really do feel sorry for you. A bike should be a stress reliever not the cause!
Actually it was quite satisfying to win one for a change. It did quite a lot to restore my faith in the bike, if that makes sense.

I know I sometImes go on about it, but my real beef was never with the MT07 - the problems are small ones, and it is actually a great machine to ride. I have just been very disappointed by the support I got from the people who should have fixed it.

The support on this forum on the other hand has been terrific, so I thank you again for your kind words.