Akrapovic post fitting question

Alex

WP_20150303_10_19_23_Pro.jpgWP_20150303_10_21_48_Pro.jpg

I've just had my Akra titanium installed. I'm not an expert but where the pipes go into the engine there is a small space seen by the difference in color on the pipes. Are the pipes fitted correctly or should they have been pushed a bit more in up to the small rim that goes around them?
The engine light only came on a couple of time when I first started running with them yesterday, but I had no issues with it after that.
The pic with the lambda sensor is to give an idea of the alignment.

Any input is appreciated :)

balki

thats about right, there isnt much of a recess and the gasket is quite thick anyway
IMG_20141224_123858.jpg
Ignore the thin squished one its the wrong type (the original is solid-will not squash)

Last edited:

Ralph

If they are a long way out I wonder if they have put a new gasket on without taking the old ones out.

gregjet

Those flange bolts are way overtightened as well and has bent the flange. Should be flat against the pipe counterflange. Too late now as straightening then on the pipe is almost impossible. But they should still seal if both sides are relatively even tension. The bolts only need to be done up to very firm ( can't remember the torque) they won't seal any better if you overtighten them. A spot of copper grease on the threads or hi temp loctite ( NOT TOO MUCH) will avoid them backing off.

jeppebm

Those flange bolts are way overtightened as well and has bent the flange. Should be flat against the pipe counterflange. Too late now as straightening then on the pipe is almost impossible. But they should still seal if both sides are relatively even tension. The bolts only need to be done up to very firm ( can't remember the torque) they won't seal any better if you overtighten them. A spot of copper grease on the threads or hi temp loctite ( NOT TOO MUCH) will avoid them backing off.
Yeah the gap you are refereing to (the one who created the thread) is actually caused BECAUSE they overtightened it. Not good enough from a dealer.

Alex

Thanks guys. I'll take it to the dealer to see what they have to say about it. The threads have been treated since the tips are red. I'll ask them about the gaskets as well.
I felt the engine today acting a bit, especially when pulling away from stop lights, but I think the cold outside (between 3 and 5 Celsius) had more to do with it than the actual exhaust. For those still in doubt the Akra sounds phenomenal. Running without db killer it's like a different animal :).