Anyone got any recommendations for waterproofs?

sdrio

OK, well all the talk of rain prompts me to post an update here.

Have been using the Rukka Goretex jacket/trousers/gloves, and Daytona Goretex boots for about 3 months now, and have had several journeys in some serious rain. This morning was chucking it down the whole 17 mile/50 minute journey.

So far I haven't had so much as a drop get through anywhere, so although this gear is relatively expensive, I have to give it a solid recommendation. Only unknown is the gloves, as I have mufflers so not much rain gets onto them.

Maybe not justifiable for those that don't ride every day, but for commuters I reckon it's worth the money. I'm really glad I took the plunge.

Also, bear in mind quite a lot of dealers will do this stuff on interest free credit. When I bought mine, I saw that Infinity (based in and around London) do a 6 - 12 month plan, depending on how much you spend, and I'm guessing some other dealers probably do the same.

[edit] One other thing - the Rukka gear has internal and external pockets, i.e. the outside pockets are outside the Goretex layer. This makes a big difference - in the rain the outside jacket pockets get soaked, so you have to remember not to put phone etc in there. There are two good sized inside pockets.

Last edited:

Noggie

I dont normally ride in the rain, so I just got a cover to put on top of my leather from IXS called Orca, looks like they are £40

pack size ixs orca | Motorcycle Waterproof Suit UK

So far I have only used it a few times (10 maybe), while getting my license I could not control the weather, and I had to take the MT to service in a heavy downpour (25km) and this held up very well, not a single drop got through.

Might not be for those who regularly ride in the rain, but for the occasional ride, or to bring along just in case it surely does the job well.

As for cloves, I just put some disposable nitrile cloves on top of my normal cloves, that kept my hands dry (though I looked a bit funny with green gloves).
My boots are fairly water tight but would probably get some better ones if I was regularly riding in rain.

wirld

Maybe not justifiable for those that don't ride every day, but for commuters I reckon it's worth the money. I'm really glad I took the plunge.
My issue with Goretex (I have a Revit Goretex jacket and trousers) is getting the damn thing dry in the office once I arrive...any suggestions?
Once the outer layer is soaked it seems to take forever to dry out and ends up smelling like a wet dog.

As a result I'm experimenting with a cheapish Alpinestars two piece suit over my leathers with good results so far, and reserving the Goretex gear for touring
Only trouble with that is it's completely non-breathable...so the choice is rain-wet or sweat-soaked in summer.

addy

My issue with Goretex (I have a Revit Goretex jacket and trousers) is getting the damn thing dry in the office once I arrive...any suggestions?
Once the outer layer is soaked it seems to take forever to dry out and ends up smelling like a wet dog.

As a result I'm experimenting with a cheapish Alpinestars two piece suit over my leathers with good results so far, and reserving the Goretex gear for touring
Only trouble with that is it's completely non-breathable...so the choice is rain-wet or sweat-soaked in summer.
Only thing I can suggest is a higher quality over jacket, either some generic gore tex rain jacket from an outdoors/hiking shop or you could check out the Rev'it Guardian jacket. Its expensive but its the hydratex liner which is breathable like gore.

Rev'it Guardian H2O Waterproof Jacket - Light Grey / Black - FREE UK DELIVERY

PanosGR

There are Gore-tex and similar membranes jackets and pants; and there are Gore-tex pro and others membranes which are laminated to the outer shell to keep them from getting soaking wet after a lot of rain.

Eddieh93

I ride everyday into work for the last 6 years, not very far but when it rains I use just some cheap waterproof trousers and I have a cheap waterproof jacket. I seem to always have a wet groin upon entry into work, so thinking of upgrading my waterproofs, so upon Sdrio's recommendation I am going to look for some Rukka gear.

I hate getting wet! But love riding!

sdrio

I think the trick to drying stuff out is airflow.

We have a cloakroom area where I can put mine on hangers and hang it from a hook where the air can circulate around it, rather than it being stuffed in a cupboard. The radiator is the other side of the room, so there isn't much heat, but it seems an 8 hour day is enough to get things dry. Of course that's when only the outside is wet - it doesn't work if the gear is soaked through.

A radiator will do the trick of course, but I'm always a bit wary of doing that, I'm not sure it will do the gear much good, so have never done it with the Rukkas. I'd imagine it would wreck leather gear fairly quickly too.

sdrio

I have just had a look at the Rukka stuff, but for £900 I'll just keep getting wet!
That's the problem, you won't get away with much less than that.

Have to say though, riding in the rain and getting to work totally dry is truly a revelation!

I will admit that it's an expensive revelation, but I'm going to be 50 this year and spending the day with soggy knackers is something I am now happy to leave to you youngsters.