Battery charging

Hustler

So, according to my owner's manual the battery is a Valve Regulated Lead Acid type and a special, constant voltage, battery charger is required.

So does this mean I can no longer use my trusty Optimate for charging ?

And if so, where does one get one of these new fangled chargers from and what are they called and what do they cost ?

Thank you.

Will145

I'm sorry buddy but I'm not too sure. My charger is specifically designed for motorcycle battery's - it goes onto a trickle charge when the battery is fully charged. In my eyes a battery is a battery and as long as it's fully charged it should work! I guess the damage is done in over charging but I'm not an expert

Last edited:

Hustler

I'm sorry buddy but I'm not too sure. My charger is specifically designed for motorcycle battery's - it goes onto a trickle charge when the battery is fully charged. In my eyes a battery is a battery and as long as it's fully charged it should work! I guess the damage is done in over charging but I'm not an expert
The Optimate is a trickle charger for motorcycle batteries so probably OK but I'm going to the dealer next Tuesday for my 600 mile service so I'll ask when I'm there.

Will145

I'd be interested to hear what they have to say so let us know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralph

There's nothing out of the ordinary about the MT battery,
what I have done with the last 4 of my bikes is to connect
a Optimate type "I cant be bothered going out to the garage
and look" but it's one of the well know ones, but I connect it
then plug it in via one of those cheap 24 hour timers set to
come on for a hour a day, I have done this for about 3 or 4
years on each bike and never had a battery problem.

Will145

That's what I was thinking . A battery is a battery. Should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hustler

I expect the Optimate will be fine but I will check with the dealer next week and report back.

Thanks for the replies.

Jon

Just a caution guys.....I remember reading that one of the ways Yamaha have saved weight and cost on the -07 is by fitting an automatic decompressor, making it easier to turn the the engine at starting, in turn allowing a smaller starter motor AND battery.

So it may not be a "typical" battery, certainly fewer A/Hours capacity, so may need to take more care not to overcharge.

I have a CTek charger with a motorcycle setting so am OK, but worth being certain.

Hustler

I took the bike in for the first service today and asked the mechanic this question.

And yes, the Valve Regulated Lead Acid battery fitted to the MT-07 can be charged by a bog standard, common or garden Optimate battery charger.

sarandis10

How often do you have to charge the battery? how is possible the battery not to get charged while the engine is running?

D

Deleted member 20

I charge when needed, that is between 0 and 2 times a year. Then it's a 24 hour charge, not longer.

AJ Nin

This is a good question and it seems to come up all the time. How often and how long do you have to ride a bike to keep the battery healthy? The only thing I've seen printed on the subject comes with my Vespa. For that bike, if you run the bike a minimum of 10 min, slightly above idle, once a month, the seals will stay properly lubricated and the battery remain charged. Different bike, different battery, etc. The good thing about a motorcycle is, if it gets a weak battery and won't start, you can put it in N, run along side it, hop on and pop the clutch in 2nd usually and do a compression start. I've done that on occasion, but my driveway slants down a little so it is even easier. Can't do that with a scooter though. I have a Battery Tender Junior, but have never taken it out of the box since I ride every day it isn't raining. Plenty of people just keep their bikes hooked up to a tender though and the consensus is that it makes the battery life longer provided you only ride occasionally plus it can't hurt provided it does go into trickle mode.

Last edited:

Feliz

How do you get the fuel pump working if the battery is dead? I've never been able to bump start a FI bike. I have a FI bike with a kick starter and starter but it won't fire with a dead battery. Now in the old days.................