Buy 2016 MT07, wait till next year to see if update on MT 07 or buy 2017 MT09?

Bill

Hi, I'm in a quandary, a dealer is selling the 2016 MT 09 for about the same price as the MT 07 (£6234 OTR) and I am not sure which way to go? They are doing this because a new 2017 MT 09 is going on sale in December.

I was unsure if I wanted an MT 07 or an MT 09 in the first place, now I don't know whether to buy the 2017 MT 09, the 2016 09 or wait till next year and see If they upgrade the mt 07 for 2018?

What puts me off the current MT's is the reported poor suspension, I would have to spend about £1000 upgrading the suspension on either bike if the reports are to be believed.

I could hold off till the reports on the new MT 09 emerge but the present one at the above price is unlikely to be around.
I'm an old guy 69 years of age and my last two bikes were an R1 and a GSXR 1000, the GSXR was too powerful for me at the top end but that was 10 years ago. This would be my last bike and I would like to get it right first time, I would hate to get the 07 then wish I had the 09 but the low weight, insurance and MPG of the 07 appeal to me, torque is more important than top speed. Does the 09 have better brakes and suspension than the 07? I would be riding mostly in country lanes.

I am sorry for rambling on but I have no one to bounce my ideas off, I am greatfull I still have my health and have the wherewithal to buy a new bike.
Thanks for your replies.

Donut

I have both an MT-07 and an MT-09. The standard suspension on both is acceptable but if you want to make progress then you would need to spend money on either bike (i've had the MT-07 modded so far at a cost of around £1000 and it has transformed the bike - still waiting to do the MT-09).

The MT-09 does suffer from a fueling issue (at least my 15 plate did) in that it surges/hunts on a constant throttle (caused by open/closed loop fueling) which makes 30's/40's unpleasant. Don't know if they've cured this on the 16 plate model but if not then you'd need to either get one of Kev's O2 controllers or get the ecu re-flashed (about £100 for the first and £300 for the second).

The extra power of the 09 over the 07 is great but if you found the GSXR too powerful then you may well find the same with the 09.

The MT-07 is a cracking little bike and easier to hustle around than the 09. It feels slower than it is but that is partly down to the feel of a twin rather than a triple or four. The 09 is faster to accelerate and on top speed but due to the 07's light weight I find that I often carry a higher corner speed on the 7 than the 9 (also because I may have over braked on the 9).

The 2 bikes also have quite a different riding position and one may suit you better than the other so if possible you need to get a test ride on the current 7 and 9 to see what you think.

Neither bike has a particularly comfortable seat so you may also wish to look into new seats and/or re-upholstery.

If I had to chose between the 2 bikes it would be incredibly close but I think I'd keep the 7- especially on country lanes. Both bikes sound awesome with the factory Akrapovic once the baffles have been cut down or removed.

Hope this helps and feel free to come back with any other questions.

D

Deleted member 20

Go ride them both and decide which is for you, the MT07 or the MT09.

If MT07, I would get any model year ABS-version.
To my knowledge the 2017 MT07 is exactly the same as introduced in 2014.

If MT09, I would get from 2016 model with TC and ABS. TC is a welcome safety-feature!
Personally I don't fancy the looks of the 2017 MT09 with it's stupid swing-arm mounted plate/lights holder and bug-eye front lights, but it adds some nice features over the 2016 model: slipper clutch, quick shifter, LED headlights, and forks with added compression damping adjustment (before adjustable for preload and rebound only).

Alternatively you have the XSR900 if you like that look better, longer tank and rider seat position some 5-10 cm further back. I prefer the XSR tank/seat ergo.

Don't know what's in store for 2018 for any model.

Darren

Nice review Donut, your lucky to have both! I too have a MT07 and would contemplate getting the MT09 at a good price but then I think that the MT07 is just a great all round bike as you suggest. I have had many bigger and more powerful bikes in the past but the MT07 just ticks all the boxes. More power doesn't necessarily mean a better bike. I have the akro fitted with baffle cut down and you can't beat it!

Bill

Thanks. For your input. Everyone, Could anyone tell me if the 09's full throttle acceleration in 3rd gear is as great as the GSXR 1000 up to100mph ,if so I would be leaning towards the MT. 07.the top end power of the GSXR was a waste of time for me on the road and too scary but I loved surfing the torque.Mid range torque with few gear changes for quick overtaking would be my wish.

At one time I had the original Yamaha Fazer 600, I found it too peaky, too many gear changes for overtaking,,, not. Enough torque, if that helps.

robodene

I understand that the MT-07 for 2017 just has new additional colours. There has been a patent filed for LED front lights so if that really is coming it would be in 2018, I guess (09-type maybe?). I have not tried the 09 but the 07 suits this old geezer well - plenty of immediate torque and lightness as your own frame becomes less willing and able. There is no substitute for a decent test ride which may make up your mind. The 09 on offer may suit you well, or the current 07 may do so.

lcman

Cannot comment on the 09 as I have never ridden one, I have just sold my 07 2014 model. The only issues I had with the 07 was the seat that was SO uncomfortable even with the Yamaha Comfy seat fitted and the tank range. Long story short I took a 07 Tracer out what a difference loads more comfortable and it's got a bigger tank.

I really don't think you will miss out on the performance because you will get so much more enjoyment riding the 07, as said it handles reasonably well, the brakes are pretty good but most of all it's just so enjoyable to ride.

I have ordered my 07 Tracer it arrives Feb\Mar next year ;);)

D

Deleted member 20

I had a 1998 Fazer 600 with 98 something horses but nothing at lower revs, no fun to live with. Had a 2011 XJ6N-A with mostly the same engine but tweaked to more low end and less top end. A nice but not so fun bike. Got a 2013 MT09A when it first came out, just had it for a while. Great engine but riding it felt like sitting on the tank with bars in my lap. Got a 2014 MT07A when it first came out, still have it. I also have 2007 TDM900A which is more like a Tracer 700 with a bigger engine. I really love the 270 degree twins in both bikes.

Brakes on all bikes above are good and about the same. Stick a set of red BREMBO SA and SP compound pads in any of them and you get excellent stopping power, modulation and wear. Costs close to nothing and takes 30 min to replace all 3 pairs.

Donut

The 09's full throttle acceleration (even in 3rd) won't be as quick as the gixxer 1000 but won't be far off I'd guess.

However, the other idiosyncrasy with the 09 (or at least mine) is that the throttle is very sensitive to even minor inputs. Even bumps in the road may cause changes to input and have you either slowing down or speeding up. The slowing isn't too bad but if you take your hand off the throttle, to wipe your visor for example, and suddenly open it up the sudden burst of speed (especially in the low gears) may lead to some "interesting" moments. This may be relieved with a throttle tamer of some sorts though I believe and you should be able to either search this forum or google it for more in.

The throttle on the 07 is much more forgiving and feels just like an old style cable and carbs.

I was just as quick, if not quicker, on my 07 than my 09 over the mountain section at the Isle of Man TT. If you go on Youtube and search for "donut king isle of man" it should bring up some onboard videos that I took this year (09) and last (07) on the 2 bikes. And just for info both bikes were on standard suspension at the time.

Without knowing how you ride (and not wishing to be condescending) I would have thought that at age 69 and by your own statement of finding the gixxer 1000 too powerful at the top end that the 07 may well be a better bet.

Last edited:

Donut

One point made on the 09 forum:

-----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Davy - View Post

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the MT09 has throttle modes that you can change on the fly. I've never ridden the 07 but the consensus seems to be that B Mode on the 09 is very much like the normal throttle of the 07. Maybe Donut can clarify this.

-------------------------------------------------

While B mode does indeed soften the throttle response on the 09 it's not one that I have a great deal of experience with having only tried it briefly out of curiousity. From this vague memory though I'd say that it was inferior to the 07's - though you would of course have the other 2 modes to play with on the 09. Definately something worth thinking about however.

The twistier the road the more I'd be inclined to go for the 07 and conversely the more open, smoother and faster the roads the more I'd possibly go for the 09.

Bill

Sorry to put a damper on this thread but I just had the first accident of my life on car or bike this evening, t-boned another car on a roundabout in the dark, never saw it, suspect they forgot to switch on their lights as they were coming out of a supermarket, this has given me reason to reconsider buying a bike.Quite shaken and I think my car will be a write off. Maybe I am too ambitious about getting a motor bike, an Mt 07 is definitely my limit, my family think I should take this as a warning and forget motorcycles and stick to my cycling which I am also an enthusiast and ex racer.
Billy

Last edited:

Bill

Sorry to put a damper on this thread but I just had the first accident of my life on car or bike, t-boned another car on a roundabout in the dark, never saw it, suspect they forgot to switch on their lights as they were coming out of a supermarket, this has given me reason to reconsider buying a bike.Quite shaken and I think my car will be a write off.Maybe I'am getting too old for a bike, my family thinks so.they think I should stick to cycling where I was an enthusiast and ex racer. Feeling quite rattled.
Sorry for repost not myself.

Donut

Sorry to put a damper on this thread but I just had the first accident of my life on car or bike, t-boned another car on a roundabout in the dark, never saw it, suspect they forgot to switch on their lights as they were coming out of a supermarket, this has given me reason to reconsider buying a bike.Quite shaken and I think my car will be a write off.Maybe I'am getting too old for a bike, my family thinks so.they think I should stick to cycling where I was an enthusiast and ex racer. Feeling quite rattled.
Sorry for repost not myself.
Sorry to hear this and hope everyone ok. Give it a few days/weeks and see how you feel.

Bill

Everyone ok,only damage to both cars, cannot believe I never saw the other car although the area is very dark without street lights,,still find it difficult to explain why I did not see other car,

robodene

Very sorry you had a knock. At least no injury. Hope you wont give up on thinking about having a bike. I have had so much fun and I returned to biking after a 50 year break nearly 10 years ago.