CHANGING SPARK PLUGS

2018MT07

I really need to change out my spark plugs. However, when I try to use my 14mm 1/2" deep socket it doesn't fit. Does anyone think if I use a 1/4" drive 14mm deep socket that will work? I'm so frustrated

bobh

I have a 3/8" drive spark plug socket that has always worked for me, though I must admit I've never done the plugs on an MT-07. But you might find a tube spanner, rather than a socket, works fine as that will be completely open and also thin walled. Earlier Yamahas used to have one in the original toolkit, but I'm not sure if there's one in the MT-07 toolkit (I no longer have the bike), but if not there are plenty on eBay. The recommended torque is only about 10 Nm so you don't need anythng particularly fancy.

Deanos

Those plugs are VERY deep in there! I cannot remember the socket I used, but I do know that I really struggled getting them out!

I eventually ended up getting the plugs loose, then using a magnet on a wire to pull them out.

If I had to change plugs again, I probably wouldn't.
For the effort, I would just take the bike to a dealer and get them to do it.

emmett

You have to use a thin wall deep socket. Plenty of youtube videos. Check out Jake the Garden Snake. He's a certified mechanic and breaks it all down in good quality tutorials on youtube. Not hard, but kind of a pain in the ass. Too bad they don't make irridium plugs for the FZ07, then you'd only have to do it every 100K miles, instead of every 8K miles.

emmett

Those plugs are VERY deep in there! I cannot remember the socket I used, but I do know that I really struggled getting them out!

I eventually ended up getting the plugs loose, then using a magnet on a wire to pull them out.

If I had to change plugs again, I probably wouldn't.
For the effort, I would just take the bike to a dealer and get them to do it.
I don't know about your dealer, but mine gets $25 per plug (I pay $7 per plug) and dealers usually get $100+ per hour. It's not that hard, just time consuming. Again, just check out you tube