Derestricting the LAMS MT 07

andy

I followed this Forum's threads and did the following to my wife's LAMS MT 07

1 Removed the throttle limiter so the inlet butterflies open completely, not partially
2 Fitted a K&N free flow air filter
3 Reamed out the 30mm diameter inlet restrictors to the 41mm diameter of the inlets
4 Fitted an Akrapovic free flow, no Cat, carbon exhaust

It does not need an ECU remap. It runs really well without one and the exhaust just sounds FANTASTIC

I have not put it on a dyno, but given that the bike is down 15cc on the ádult' version and also down slightly on compression, yet that the air filter and exhaust will add an extra 3-4bhp and some additional torque, my guess is the bike is making close to the 74bhp of the ádult version. That's up from the 51bhp of the restricted version. It easily pulls wheelies off the throttle in 1st and 2nd gears and can exceed 200km/h (that's not top speed).

All up, a great bike. It still needs proper suspension as it pogos when it encounters rough surfaces in bends - that's my next job.

Other mods include a Givi rear rack, M5 plate and V47 topbox; Ermax 39cm screen; Barkbuster Storm handguards; Oxford heated grips; Infinity radiator guard; Pyramid rear hugger; and a front fender extender. Last mod (other than suspension) will be some crash protection.

b00f

I would get it on the dyno quick smart mate.
Just because it doesnt need a ECU flash or PCV to actually run, it doesn't mean you wouldnt benifit from the safety of knowing you are not leaning out up top.
You have opened the intake up, and given the engine a fair bit more air to use.
The bike is lean in places to begin with, and yes, it might be running well, but that could be due to a lean mixture.

Pull the plugs out, given em a clean and go for a ride.. the answer in the colour of the plugs

Scim77

Hi Andy. I agree with b00f, it would be very wise to get fuelling checked. It is highly likely that you are now running lean in places and in the long term could suffer valve damage, unless the ECU is remapped.

gregjet

Actually if you look at ALL the dyno charts both flashed and unflashed , the spot where damage can occur ( ie at high revs big airflows), ALL of the bikes actually run VERY rich from 9000 to 10500, so it isn't going to be dangerous. I have only just noticed this when checking out another post. That includes my reflashed ecu bike with Akro snail exhaust , DNA filter and shaped air inlet . Something somewhere is still restricting the airflow at the top on all models all bikes in all configurations.

mustiazar

I followed this Forum's threads and did the following to my wife's LAMS MT 07

1 Removed the throttle limiter so the inlet butterflies open completely, not partially
2 Fitted a K&N free flow air filter
3 Reamed out the 30mm diameter inlet restrictors to the 41mm diameter of the inlets
4 Fitted an Akrapovic free flow, no Cat, carbon exhaust

It does not need an ECU remap. It runs really well without one and the exhaust just sounds FANTASTIC

I have not put it on a dyno, but given that the bike is down 15cc on the ádult' version and also down slightly on compression, yet that the air filter and exhaust will add an extra 3-4bhp and some additional torque, my guess is the bike is making close to the 74bhp of the ádult version. That's up from the 51bhp of the restricted version. It easily pulls wheelies off the throttle in 1st and 2nd gears and can exceed 200km/h (that's not top speed).

All up, a great bike. It still needs proper suspension as it pogos when it encounters rough surfaces in bends - that's my next job.

Other mods include a Givi rear rack, M5 plate and V47 topbox; Ermax 39cm screen; Barkbuster Storm handguards; Oxford heated grips; Infinity radiator guard; Pyramid rear hugger; and a front fender extender. Last mod (other than suspension) will be some crash protection.

Hey Andy,
I'm wandering how you removed the limiter? I want to do the same to derestrict my mt07 but can't find the parts or how to's. Can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

Noggie

Actually if you look at ALL the dyno charts both flashed and unflashed , the spot where damage can occur ( ie at high revs big airflows), ALL of the bikes actually run VERY rich from 9000 to 10500, so it isn't going to be dangerous. I have only just noticed this when checking out another post. That includes my reflashed ecu bike with Akro snail exhaust , DNA filter and shaped air inlet . Something somewhere is still restricting the airflow at the top on all models all bikes in all configurations.
No they are not, they are made that way to run cooler at high revs not to damage the engine.
Every petrol engine do this.
Just google dynocharts and look at the AFR and you will see every single engine gets richer at the top end.

Running the same AFR at high rpm as low will cause the cylinders to overheat, pistons to get damaged, worst case melt, and you could shear your engine.
So as a built in safety every manufacturer and tuner will make the AFR rich on top.

gregjet

Running a motor at 11 or 10 to 1 isn't cooling. It's almost not fireable. Mine with a reflashed and DNA airfilter and I get AFR's of 10.5:1 at limit (10500). That's not cooling that's fuel wastage. I have never had a racing motor ( don't usually play with my road motors. The MT has been an exception) have been fueled to 13.something to high 12's , at and near max revs. Perhaps a tiny bit richer but NOT ridiculous. Now don't get me wrong . In this case the top end is reasonably useless as it drops off pretty quickly but running ridiculous rich AFR's is not useful for anything including "cooling"

Last edited:

Noggie

Not going to get into an argument over this but here is a Wiki article that explains this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air–fuel_ratio

And this sentence is just what I said.

Rich mixtures are less efficient, but may produce more power and burn cooler, which is kinder on the engine. AFR numbers higher than stoichiometric are considered "lean." Lean mixtures are more efficient but may cause engine damage or premature wear and produce higher levels of nitrogen oxides.

I have some experience with boosting car engines, and running an AFR around 11-11,5 is considered "playing it safe", if you get much above 12 on a boosted engine you are taking a risk, anything above 13 is a huge gamble.
As the RPM increase there is less time for the engine to cool down between the ignition strokes, an extra squirt of fuel gives you a cooler combustion up top and keeps the temperature down.

gregjet

By "boosted" I am assuming turbo or supercharged motors. When you get up to higher pressures it is possible to get to, or near, the critical pressure. ie the pressure where it will spontaneously ignite ( think diesel). At those higher cyl pressure extra fuel will in fact combust even with less oxygen ( and even use nitrogen as a reactant) and both extra fuel and water can be advantageous to decrease the cyl temperatures., And if you want to produce more nitrogen oxides than turbo and supercharging are perfect ways to do it at any AFR. If you want to make nitrogen and oxygen intimate, higher pressure is a fine way to do it.
The 13.x:1 AFRr ratio is for normally aspirated motors at STP ( standard temperature and pressure).
In an ignition discharge fired petrol ( gasoline) motor a rich mixture of less than 11:1 AFR will NOT produce more power it will produce less. For a whole host of reasons. A diesel or turbo/supercharged motor can go much richer. There is no "kinder to engine" effect except the lower likelyhood of detonation damage and also an increased risk of oil wash wear ring/bore damage from unburnt fuel ( I own a Subaru so I am aware of that last one).

Milo

Hi there, just picked up a stock 2016 LAMS model. Took it out for a spin and noticed that it seems to be limited to about 6250RPM at 165kmh in top gear. Revs OK in lower gears.
Looking at the numerous threads regarding deristricting the bike via the throttle inlet mods and/or throttle restrictor plate and they all make sense but I'm wondering why the revs are only limited in top gear.
Is this through the ECU or am I missing something? I'm looking at fitting an Akro and removing the throttle restrictor plate, see how it goes and then maybe open the throttle inlet restrictions, but am a bit confused by the top gear restriction. Thanks in advance.

gregjet

Sorry didn't see this one before. Unless they changed something since the 15 model the rev limit is Throttle plate. Power limit is inlet restrictors and other things ( 5th and 6th are rev/speed limited in all models)