Difficulty finding gear

dfl05

I have noticed lately that I am finding it quite difficult to find the next gear without doing a very deliberate movement. It is not like that every time. Most times it is between 2nd to 3rd. At the same time I am starting to notice that I cannot change down gears. I press down but nothing happens until the bike has stopped. Whilst this is happening the gear indicator just shows the hyphen.
My bike is brand new (LAMs) and has about 350km's on it.
Is it just me or has anybody else had this problem?

spencer

try adjusting you clutch cable so you have around a 2mm play on the leaver and checked the chain for slackness.

sdrio

This is a commonly reported problem on new MT07's, had it myself in the first few hundred miles and have seen the same reported by at least 3 others.

Mine was OK after the first few weeks, and I haven't ever seen anyone reporting it as a long term issue.

It's either something bedding in on the bike, or maybe it just has a slightly longer throw than most other bikes, and we just take a while to get completely used to it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it's still a problem by first service, maybe they can adjust the linkage, make it a bit shorter.

gregjet

First thing to do is adjust the vertical position of the gear lever so it is in the best place for your boot. It is amazing how many people haven't adjusted their gear and brake lever position...I have found the lever length may be a problem though as well. Haven't had a play with this properly yet as I have been chasing the real cause of the lack of power on the LAMS model. Now I have found it I will start refining the peg and lever positions.

dfl05

Took it to the shop and asked them to check the chain. Said it was a bit loose. After tightening the gear drop issue seems to have gone.
So for me it seems that the cause was a loose chain.

Eddieh93

Check the foot lever sometimes if your boot is slightly resting on the lever before you go to change up it wont have it. The lever needs to be completely in rest position or else it wont find the gear. Its quite annoying but like the other said an adjustment of the silver rod should do the trick.