Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

addy

Forgot to reply to this earlier, Had my clutch switch replaced and the fueling increased by a couple points and so far after riding for three weeks not a single cut out. Don't know which one of these fixed it or it could have been both.

Ralph

Forgot to reply to this earlier, Had my clutch switch replaced and the fueling increased by a couple points and so far after riding for three weeks not a single cut out. Don't know which one of these fixed it or it could have been both.
If the switch was faulty both will have helped, the switch acts as a anti stall switch by waking up the
fueling on over run and it retards the timing a little at the same time so it's not just there to save you
riding off with the stand down or starting in gear,
I too had the fuling turned up it's only stalled once in over 3000 miles since and is smother at low revs,
so you likely fixed it.

Ralph

Adding a footnote to this beast of a thread.

I got a letter on Friday from Yamaha, telling me the sad news that those monkeys that sold me my bike had gone out of business.

Farewell Motorcycle store, you will be missed in the same way as my Grandad missed his piles after the operation to remove them.
Love it ;)

sdrio

Presumably this is done with a laptop?

Mine did it twice yesterday, I suppose the warmer temperature has some effect.

addy

Presumably this is done with a laptop?

Mine did it twice yesterday, I suppose the warmer temperature has some effect.
Yea I assume so, I asked them to do it many times when I took it in and was told it couldn't be done, had to give them details of another dealer that's done it before. Said it's an easy job only takes a couple mins.

Had all this done at slocombes so take your bike there and talk to Steve, he will sort it out for you. The only reason my clutch switch was replaced was because the bike no longer started in gear.

Ralph

Yep mine was done with a lap top took about 20 min but I
think they were just checking a few things out as they had
a few complaints and wanted to see how mine went before
doing others.

itsme

Change your plugs and don't use anything less than 97 octane fuel, or super unleaded in UK, sorted mine out straight away, and before all the dissers start moaning ,"but that's 2p more a litre not paying that,," it's your bike if you want to treat it like shit then it's up to you, by the way I change the oil every 1000 miles and filter every 2000, ?

addy

Change your plugs and don't use anything less than 97 octane fuel, or super unleaded in UK, sorted mine out straight away, and before all the dissers start moaning ,"but that's 2p more a litre not paying that,," it's your bike if you want to treat it like shit then it's up to you, by the way I change the oil every 1000 miles and filter every 2000, ��
Fuel made no difference at all to my bike, it cut out regardless. Once he gets the fueling upped a little it should be fine.

sdrio

Change your plugs and don't use anything less than 97 octane fuel, or super unleaded in UK, sorted mine out straight away, and before all the dissers start moaning ,"but that's 2p more a litre not paying that,," it's your bike if you want to treat it like shit then it's up to you, by the way I change the oil every 1000 miles and filter every 2000, ��
Er, OK. Thanks for that. I'll change my plugs and oil, like they do at every service. I'm sure this time it will make a difference.

Ralph

Problem is those that have not had it happen cant understand what a pain in the neck it is
when it does, it's a wounder no one as been rear ended at the lights, and there is no way
to save it I've been riding and working on bike for over 40 years I cant save it. the good
news is that if you can get the dealer to up the fueling at the bottom end it does fix it,
Emission controls are now so strict that engines are running right on the edge of what is
possible and still retain driveability.
But like I say if it does it getting the dealer to turn up the fueling fitting a fuel controler
or likely one of the devices that alters the fuel temp sensor reading will fix it and what ever
else it is the MT-07 is a great bike best bang for your buck out there.

mike.za

I had this problem and for various reasons decided it was the switch on the clutch lever which allows starting while the bike is in gear if the clutch is disengaged. I removed the switch and cleaned the contacts which had corroded. The stalling hasn't happened again.

Ralph

The switch does need to be working and if not will likely cause stalling,
when the clutch is pulled in the switch not only arms the starter circuit
but if the engine is on the over run it wakens up the injection system
and retards the timing a small amount so acting as a anti stall switch.
My bikes was a pain in the arse when new for it but never does it now.

arabv

Have someone had this problem with stalling while riding? It happened to me when I was riding on my MT-03 about 60kmph and suddenly the engine cut off. It seems to me, that the ignition was switch off for a second, because I was holding rev on the same level. It isn't easy to test it because it happens unexpectedly, sometimes when I drove 300km and sometimes after 1500km.