Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

sdrio

Yea I think I have read through every mt/fz 07 forum post and fb group there is regarding this issue, I've also been saving any youtube video I come across. So far slocombes have been really good and it does look like they are trying to figure it out but I'm the first person to have mentioned this issue to them.

What might be useful is if your not too far from slocombes then you could take your bike in as well, with another person bringing up the exact same issue it might kick yamaha into doing something. Tell them that your dealer has just ignored the issue, they wouldn't take your bike in like mine until they get told what to do by yamaha.
I'm not that far from them, I'm in Twickenham, About 20 mins.

Maybe you could ask them if they want to take a look. Mine is probably exactly 2 years old now, so not sure if it's still in warranty, but considering the problem started as soon as I bought it, and was never actually resolved, if a solution exists Yamaha must be obliged to provide it to me as well.

I have all the commnications from the time, including my telling the dealer I was rejecting the bike, and several emails asking them to respond to me, which they never did.

If I can help you bug Yamaha, it would be a pleasure.

addy

I'm not that far from them, I'm in Twickenham, About 20 mins.

Maybe you could ask them if they want to take a look. Mine is probably exactly 2 years old now, so not sure if it's still in warranty, but considering the problem started as soon as I bought it, and was never actually resolved, if a solution exists Yamaha must be obliged to provide it to me as well.

I have all the commnications from the time, including my telling the dealer I was rejecting the bike, and several emails asking them to respond to me, which they never did.

If I can help you bug Yamaha, it would be a pleasure.
Yea as long as you reported the problem before your warranty expired they are obligated to fix it. I'm hoping to get a call back from slocombes this week and i'll mention it and see if you contacting them also will help Yamaha put a bit more effort into figuring out the problem.

addy

A week later and Yamaha are still dragging their feet, dealer has said they haven't come back with anything new. Said he would talk to them again next week and I might have to contact them directly.

addy

So Yamaha have replied to the dealer saying that as they can't replicate the issue there is nothing they can do. I am going to have to contact them directly and fight it out.

sdrio

So Yamaha have replied to the dealer saying that as they can't replicate the issue there is nothing they can do. I am going to have to contact them directly and fight it out.
This is just so stupid.

It's absurd that they still say this. Lots of people coming to them with the *exact* same problem, but they still say it doesn't exist?

Are they actually starting the bikes up, or does someone sit on it and go 'broom broom' for a few minutes, then go back to their colouring in book?

Sheesh. If it wasn't such an infuriating and dangerous fault, this would be funny.

addy

This is just so stupid.

It's absurd that they still say this. Lots of people coming to them with the *exact* same problem, but they still say it doesn't exist?

Are they actually starting the bikes up, or does someone sit on it and go 'broom broom' for a few minutes, then go back to their colouring in book?

Sheesh. If it wasn't such an infuriating and dangerous fault, this would be funny.
I can understand them not being able to replicate it as they would probably need to ride my bike for hours around town and even then it's not guaranteed to happen, could cut out twice in one ride or not at all for a few days.

Yea it is dangerous and not a nice feeling when you don't know if the bike is going to cut out and someone goes into the back of you. Worse is when you are filtering and you pull the clutch in and the bike dies, you have to try and start it really quick so you don't lose balance.

I'm going to email them today with all the videos, all the links to forums and regardless of whether they can replicate it or not instruct the dealer to try something.

sdrio

I can understand them not being able to replicate it as they would probably need to ride my bike for hours around town and even then it's not guaranteed to happen, could cut out twice in one ride or not at all for a few days.

Yea it is dangerous and not a nice feeling when you don't know if the bike is going to cut out and someone goes into the back of you. Worse is when you are filtering and you pull the clutch in and the bike dies, you have to try and start it really quick so you don't lose balance.

I'm going to email them today with all the videos, all the links to forums and regardless of whether they can replicate it or not instruct the dealer to try something.
When they had mine, I offered to have some kind of monitoring kit on the bike, so they could actually see what was happening when it happened. I also asked them to try a power commander, see if it made any difference.

They didn't respond to either of those. It can't be beyond their wit to actually do something like that, so that's what led me to wonder whether they know exactly what the problem is, but can't sort it without either spending money, or making the bike illegal. Just speculation of course, but why else put so little effort into it?

Ralph

I think what is likely is that they cant fix the problem without busting the emissions limits
the limits are set not by someone that knows what is possible but by someone that as a bee in there bonnet
about pollution or needs to keep a job going so as the tighten the limits every year to be seen to be doing
something, this is impacting on the drive ability and even safety on vehicles they cant instruct dealers to
adjust them as that would brake the limits and then they may end up with a emissions scandal like VW have.

sdrio

I think what is likely is that they cant fix the problem without busting the emissions limits
the limits are set not by someone that knows what is possible but by someone that as a bee in there bonnet
about pollution or needs to keep a job going so as the tighten the limits every year to be seen to be doing
something, this is impacting on the drive ability and even safety on vehicles they cant instruct dealers to
adjust them as that would brake the limits and then they may end up with a emissions scandal like VW have.
That's something I've certainly thought about - and the end result is that the fuelling is on such a knife edge that some bikes do this, and others don't. It's a crap shoot, it seems.

This is also born out by the fact it's inconsistent - the bikes that do it don't do it all the time, they do it in phases. Whatever is causing it is some 'mode' kicking in under a certain set of circumstances, maybe temperature, maybe (AKA VW programming) when the bike thinks it's being tested for emissions.

addy

That's something I've certainly thought about - and the end result is that the fuelling is on such a knife edge that some bikes do this, and others don't. It's a crap shoot, it seems.

This is also born out by the fact it's inconsistent - the bikes that do it don't do it all the time, they do it in phases. Whatever is causing it is some 'mode' kicking in under a certain set of circumstances, maybe temperature, maybe (AKA VW programming) when the bike thinks it's being tested for emissions.
Well whatever set of circumstances you need to have it happen I managed to hit jackpot today when riding home. Was coming up from just south of London to north west'ish london and when I hit central the bike cut out 4 times, 3 of them the bike wouldn't start again and I had to roll it off the road and turn it off and on a couple times.

Going to get the videos off my camera and add them to the collection, the bike it going back to the dealer again next week and he has agreed to ride it as his bike for a bit to see if he can replicate the problem. But if something doesn't happen this time I am really going to have to get some legal advice as its getting really stupid and I'm not putting my life in the hands of a shit bike.

Last edited:

addy

So yea my bike will no longer start in gear, checked the connector underneath and its all fine.

Wonder if all these problems could be down to a clutch issue, dodgy batch of components. I'd like to hope so as it would be an easy fix lol but life aint that easy.

sdrio

So yea my bike will no longer start in gear, checked the connector underneath and its all fine.

Wonder if all these problems could be down to a clutch issue, dodgy batch of components. I'd like to hope so as it would be an easy fix lol but life aint that easy.
Could be a different, or additional problem. Mine has never not restarted immediately after the stall. Have never had any problems starting it at all, whether warm or not.

Yaminator

Could be a different, or additional problem. Mine has never not restarted immediately after the stall. Have never had any problems starting it at all, whether warm or not.
Mate if you got time check my posts out with this issue as I pretty sure I sorted my problem out..

Yaminator

Mate if you got time check my posts out with this issue as I pretty sure I sorted my problem out..

sdrio

I've read most posts about it - mine has had everything done that was suggested, up to and including replacing the cam chain tensioner (no idea why, but Yamaha did it anyway). Throttle bodies have been synced.

Unless it's tips on clutch control, have I missed something?

addy

I called the dealer when I got home and the bike is going in next Tuesday so I will let them look at it, if is is the case that is the problem with the clutch switch I would rather they find it and fix it. If I some how manage to semi fix it myself and then take it in i'm just going to be told that there is nothing they can do unless they see it for themselves.

addy

So Yamaha replied to my long and unhappy email asking for the details of the dealer I'm taking the bike to and will call them tomorrow when it's in, hopefully they have a solution.

sdrio

Adding a footnote to this beast of a thread.

I got a letter on Friday from Yamaha, telling me the sad news that those monkeys that sold me my bike had gone out of business.

Farewell Motorcycle store, you will be missed in the same way as my Grandad missed his piles after the operation to remove them.