Eurotrip Luggage Set-up

Crypto

Hey everyone!

I'm going on a motorcycle camping trip through Europe next summer and need to figure out what would be the best way to secure all the gear on to my bike. My tent bag is 60 cm wide and I'll have to strap it down to the bike somehow, along with a few drybags. That, combined with soft panniers should be sufficient but as the bike is so narrow, I'm not sure how I would even go about strapping down stuff that wide onto the pillion seat.

Also, since the OEM panniers are so pricey I've been looking at Oxford soft panniers, specifically these ones called "1st time", but I have no idea if they would even work/fit on the MT-07. Has anyone here tried them on, or any other Oxford soft panniers for that matter. They don’t come with pannier rails and as far as I can tell, rails aren’t needed, so how are they supposed to stay in place and not get under the pillion seat or somewhere worse and bring about the apocalypse?

Another thing I’d like to know is whether the volume listed for panniers is usually the total volume of both or for each. For example the Oxford panniers I’m thinking about buying are 48 litres. Does that mean 48 total or 48 per pannier?

Out of all the stuff I've been wanting to add to the bike, by far the hardest thing to figure out has been suitable luggage options. Unless you go for expensive stuff that's been custom-fitted for the MT. I think the nicest setup I’ve seen on here so far is and30ers’ but it’s simply too expensive for me. If it turns out those “Oxford 1st time” panniers fit well and that there’s a secure and cheap way to carry a few drybags I should be fine. I have a Kriega R25 backpack and might bring it on my trip. Many people advise against wearing backpacks on long trips but the Kriega is extremely comfortable and very little weight on my shoulders.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Noggie

Not much help on your issue but I was a bit curious where you were going?

I must say the thought of a long road trip on the MT is not very tempting for me.
I have done 300km in a day, and that was close to my comfort limit for a day even with a mix of short and long stops, Most my trips are 50-150km which I find quite OK.

D

Deleted member 20

I wouldn't hesitate taking the MT07 anywhere, up to 600 km per day on non-motorway roads. Advantages with hard panniers are waterproof, lockable, easy on-off, stable, roomy storage that also aid as excellent platform for adding large wp soft bags strapped on the pillion seat. Hard top box is excellent for secure helmet storage and easy-access to whatever you want/need to use during your day out riding.

Expensive or not, I think prices are reasonable and well worth it. Prices below for complete Givi for MT07 racks and luggage.

Hard pannier pair 70 L. 322 EUR.
Hard pannier pair 70 L + top box 37 L. 490 EUR.
Hard pannier pair 70 L + top box 47 L. 524 EUR.

Crypto

Not much help on your issue but I was a bit curious where you were going?
It's not set in stone yet but probably Poland->Czech->Austria->Switzerland->Italy->France->Barcelona->London->Belgium->Netherlands->Germany->Denmark. It's around 7600 kilometres.
I think the MT's upright position is very comfortable and I don't doubt it would work great on a long trip. Just to make sure, I will probably go on a week long camping trip within Sweden first to make sure everything's okay and that I have the gear that I need (and find out what I should have left at home). If it turns out the seat really is too uncomfortable for me then I'll just buy an AirHawk. I've heard alot of great things about them.

I wouldn't hesitate taking the MT07 anywhere, up to 600 km per day on non-motorway roads. Advantages with hard panniers are waterproof, lockable, easy on-off, stable, roomy storage that also aid as excellent platform for adding large wp soft bags strapped on the pillion seat. Hard top box is excellent for secure helmet storage and easy-access to whatever you want/need to use during your day out riding.

Expensive or not, I think prices are reasonable and well worth it.
Sure, I don't doubt that they're quality products at a great price BUT since I can get those Oxford panniers (that have great reviews by the way) + Drybags for a total of €120 that would be preferable for me even if they're not nearly as practical. Living on a student budget, I do feel spoiled as I have a new bike and am planning a long-ass trip through Europe. If I can save money and put it towards fuel instead and still have a functional luggage set-up that's great. Not that an added cost of ~€300 would be a deal-breaker for me but I almost certainly wouldn't be using the panniers the rest of the year anyway. If it turns out touring isn't as great as I imagine it to be, I'd rather it be the cheaper option collecting dust and not those nice Givis.

That being said, I'm looking at the Givis now and perhaps, just perhaps, I should pull the trigger :cool: They do seem great, and if I never wanna go on long trips again, I could just sell them I suppose.

and30ers, didn't you have to drill into the plastics of the bike or something like that? I feel like I've heard that the Givis require a bit of cutting and drilling etc. I'd rather not do any of that to a bike which will only have the panniers on for 2-3 weeks of the year.

bobh

I'd go for a big Givi topbox, tank bag plus a rollbag for the rest of the stuff. Here's a pic of my old Fz6 a few years ago on a campsite in France:

The rollbag was strapped on the pillion seat, and took all the camping gear. Made it a bit difficult to get my leg over, mind you, as I'm not as flexible as I was! The arms for the Givi rack make strapping down a lot easier. You can see the base for the magnetic tank bag - unfortunately a magnetic one's not an option for the MT-07, but there are plenty of strap-on options available - Bagster being the obvious one, but there are cheaper possibilities.

Add soft panniers if you like, and the Oxford 1st Time ones are fine - I have a pair, though I haven't used them in a while. They are probably as big as you could reasonably fit on this bike. The Givi frames would keep the panniers away from the bodywork, but probably aren't strictly necessary - just a bit of gaffer tape and sensible strapping to make absolutely sure nothing can get near the back wheel (a mate had a strap wrap itself in the back wheel on the M4, with the inevitable catastrophic results).

On the whole, though, I'd try to go for the minimalist approach, and take as little as possible.

I'm sure you can pick up decent luggage bargains on ebay, particularly at this time of year.

Crypto

Only permanent damage is one cut-out each side of the rear panels for Givi brackets. Link to pics below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36673370/MT07/Givi_1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36673370/MT07/Givi_2.jpg
Ouch! :p The end result looks great though.

I'd go for a big Givi topbox, tank bag plus a rollbag for the rest of the stuff.
Yeah a topbox would be great but as and30ers points out, the Givi topbox installation requires cutting holes. I'll have to check other brands. Have you tried putting the Oxfords on the MT or just on your Fazer? Just making sure they would actually work before I decide to order them.

How would you strap down a 60 cm tent bag on an MT that doesn't have any bags, racks etc. installed? For example if I decided to just hop on my bike with just a tent and wearing my backpack for a weekend getaway.
Say I did have a topbox, since the pillion seat is so narrow, how would I prevent the tentbag from sagging?

Thanks guys.

Noggie

I'm sure those plastic covers don't cost that much, just get a spare set.
So unless you plan on having the box on all the time changing those covers should take less than 15 minutes.

bobh

....the Givi topbox installation requires cutting holes.
The holes are quiite small, and are on the underside of the covers. So if you did take the brackets for the arms off (and it's not a trivial operation, so you would probably only do it when you sell the bike) they aren't really visible. Could even be a selling point!

Have you tried putting the Oxfords on the MT or just on your Fazer?
No, not yet.

How would you strap down a 60 cm tent bag on an MT that doesn't have any bags, racks etc. installed? For example if I decided to just hop on my bike with just a tent and wearing my backpack for a weekend getaway.
Depending on how rigid your tent poles are, you might need to put some lightweight reinforcement in there. There was an article in the March edition of Bike magazine by a guy who took an MT-07 to Morocco. He had some sort of carrier that looked as if it fitted in place of, or underneath, the pillion seat, and allowed him to carry a roll bag lengthwise. I haven't been able to find out what it was, but I've scanned a pic from the mag, if it's any help:

Say I did have a topbox, since the pillion seat is so narrow, how would I prevent the tentbag from sagging?

It should be possible to strap some reinforcement across the front of the topbox mounting plate and use that to support the bag.

But I should emphasise that I haven't actually tried any of these things on my MT!

D

Deleted member 20

Rack on pic look like Yam oem. Mounting that one requires even larger and uglier holes in the plastic than what the Givi PLX requires.

Hi and30ers

How did you cut these holes? I have to do it also to mount givi top box but don't want to destroy plastics?

@Crypto are you from Poland?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 20

Hi and30ers
How did you cut these holes? I have to do it also to mount givi top box but don't want to destroy plastics?
Included with the Givi rack / manual is a cutting template for the two holes required.
I used a 3 mm drill bit and drilled the 4 corners for each hole.
Then used a knife (flooring / utility) to work my way though the rather soft plastic, between my drilled holes.
View attachment 2738

bobh

Like Anders, I drilled holes in the corners. I tried a knife, but it seemed to be making slow progress, so I used a router drill instead, to get the approximate shape of the cutouts. Then I finished it off with square and flat files.

The Givi template is only approximate, though, so you may need to do a bit more filing after the first attempt.

prepa

Hi. I have just installed Yamaha top case carrier. Now I'm in dilemma will top case 39 litres affect driving abilities of bike?? I'm going from on trip to Italy from BiH Sarajevo and I will have some distance to travel on highway.