Fitting a Shad SH40 to the MT-07

wirld

Hi All,

For those who are interested...
I wasn't wild about fitting the large MT-07 racks available from Yamaha, Ventura, SW-motech etc...I didn't really like the look of the bike with the top case fitted so far back...nor did I like the look of it when the top case was removed.
But I wanted a topcase for commuting.

Then I saw the SW Motech seat rack - which replaces the pillion seat, and given I never have a pillion when I'm commuting, figured I could modify the seat rack to fit a top case baseplate.
It arrived this morning, and I found that the Shad SH40 baseplate was a good fit - I could mount it far enough back that it didn't worry me when I'm riding. Only trouble is it's a bitch getting a leg over the bike with the bloody case in position (short leg syndrome!) :rolleyes:
It's also pretty difficult to mount the seat rack - I suspect that's just because the rubber stoppers are new...it'll probably get easier over time.

Anyway some images to show what I did, and what the bike looks like with the case in place etc. The image with the pink circles show the position of the bolts from the base plate.
I love that I can just take it off and replace the pillion seat for week-end riding.
Final thought is that I suspect the seat rack will render my GPS tracker useless - will need a find a new place for it probably.

Cheers
Grant

Attachments

CVSensei

Hi Grant,

Did you order different color tank panels? The black frame with deep armour is beautiful, I'm getting deep armour but the silver frame isn't ideal.

Charlie

Gaulois

Good choice on the case. I find mine extremely practical. So much can be carried in the 40 lt case, its amazing, even so its mounted so far behind the bike, I don't find it to kill too much the look of the MT, but you know what they say about tastes and colors, each his own :)

wirld

Frame

Hi Grant,

Did you order different color tank panels? The black frame with deep armour is beautiful, I'm getting deep armour but the silver frame isn't ideal.

Charlie
Hey Charlie,

No I didn't order anything special - that was how I got the bike...

Cheers
Grant

wirld

Good choice on the case. I find mine extremely practical. So much can be carried in the 40 lt case, its amazing, even so its mounted so far behind the bike, I don't find it to kill too much the look of the MT, but you know what they say about tastes and colors, each his own :)

Absolutely right on the subjective nature - really didn't mean to knock anyone else's choices!
I'm really happy with the case - just thinking I should have ordered the 'cargo' option - it would be handy for mounting a tripod etc on top for photo trips!

CVSensei

Hey Charlie,

No I didn't order anything special - that was how I got the bike...

Cheers
Grant
Oh really?! Did you buy it new? To my knowledge, all deep armour models come with a silver frame, it was only the red and grey ones that had a black frame! As per Yamaha website as well.. This is very strange, did the dealer mention anything about changes?

Charlie

wirld

Oh really?! Did you buy it new? To my knowledge, all deep armour models come with a silver frame, it was only the red and grey ones that had a black frame! As per Yamaha website as well.. This is very strange, did the dealer mention anything about changes?

Charlie
Nope - nothing mentioned by the dealer, new when I got it...
Keep in mind I'm in New Zealand - maybe we have different colorways?
But it is strange, now you mention it - even the Yamaha NZ site has the Deep armour model with a silver frame.
I'll ask the dealers when I go in for next service...they're good blokes.
Possibly it started life with different colored panels and got scratched or something?

Last edited:

CVSensei

Nope - nothing mentioned by the dealer, new when I got it...
Keep in mind I'm in New Zealand - maybe we have different colorways?
But it is strange, now you mention it - even the Yamaha NZ site has the Deep armour model with a silver frame.
I'll ask the dealers when I go in for next service...they're good blokes.
Possibly it started life with different colored panels and got scratched or something?
How bizzare! I wouldn't be complaining but it definitely begs a question.

My guess would be someone asked for the coloured panels of your bike and switched them with another or vice versa. Happens a lot.

But you'd expect that to be included in the sales pitch.. Look forward to your reply!

wirld

I don't find it to kill too much the look of the MT, but you know what they say about tastes and colors, each his own :)
You're absolutely right about subjective tastes - didn't mean to insult anybody! :)
The 40L is the perfect amount of space for me, though I'm thinking I should have maybe have gotten the 'cargo' version of the case - might have been handy for longer trips when I want to take along a bedroll/tent etc.

abcdefc21

how did you fit yamaha rack and shad SH40 together, did you have detail pics?