Fuel pump noise on startup

bhd

Hi,

when I started my 2015 MT07 this morning, I turned the key, and instead of the usual whine of the fuel pump, got... nothing. The display lit up as usual, but the old familiar chorus was missing. Hit the starter, and it started without hesitation. I tried this twice more, and only the third attempt did the fuel pump noise occur.

I will be calling my local dealer tomorrow, but has anyone else experienced this? Does it herald the imminent demise of the pump?

bobh

I'd guess if the bike started fine, then the fuel pump must be working OK.

Out of interest, do you habitually stop the engine with the ignition key or the kill switch (or even the sidestand with the bike in gear)? And had you done anything different the last time? It's just possible the shutdown sequence is different in each case.

bhd

Good questions. Startup-wise it's on the sidestand, turn key, hear whine, and hit the switch. Shutdown is into neutral, sidestand down, and turn off with the key. However, my partner had put the bike away the night before the second occasion, so you may have a point, as it's possible he used the kill switch (and I can blame him!).

I'll run the theory past the dealer today and see what they say, thanks for the input.

bhd

Nailed it! I tried both sequences this morning, and you're quite right, so panic over.
Thanks Bobh.

bobh

I too normally stop the engine with the key.

But sometimes when I'm parking on a hill I'll leave it in 1st and put the sidestand down - that way I can keep both hands on the bars (and use the front brake), and I don't have to re-find 1st afterwards to stop the bike rolling away. Next time I do this I'll listen out on restart to see if I hear the fuel pump!

Ralph

If the stop switch is off the pump doesn't prime, but when you switch it to run
nothing happens still no priming noise but the bike fires up so the pump must
prime wile the starter is spinning and you cant hear it, on every other bike I
have had switch ing the stop to rum would prime the fuel rail but not on this one
not that it matters as long as it starts.