Further riding Qualifications

bobh

I'd have said that, but they were very firm about there being no money to change hands.

Maybe when I am riding with my permanent observer I can broach the subject - I certainly have no problem with it.

Perhaps Bobh can guide?

If it turns out I should have given the observer I rode with something, I will sort it out.
TVAM policy, and it's accepted by all the observers, is not to charge for time or fuel. A bottle of something nice is very acceptable after a test pass though (you may have noticed that many of us have topboxes for such eventualities)!

The only thing you should have given the observer is a green (?) questionnaire form for him/her to hand in to the "marketing team" (ahem). Hopefully it said that you went along to TVAM on the recommendation of this guy on the forum called bobh (not that I'll get any kudos for it :eek:).

sdrio

TVAM policy, and it's accepted by all the observers, is not to charge for time or fuel. A bottle of something nice is very acceptable after a test pass though (you may have noticed that many of us have topboxes for such eventualities)!

The only thing you should have given the observer is a green (?) questionnaire form for him/her to hand in to the "marketing team" (ahem). Hopefully it said that you went along to TVAM on the recommendation of this guy on the forum called bobh (not that I'll get any kudos for it :eek:).
Ok, thanks. I'll make sure I get that right.

I said I'd had a recommendation on a forum, but they didn't ask who or where.

I'll join this week, hopefully we can cross paths at some point, and I'll splash out 25p on a cup of tea for you!

bobh

You're on! Be good to meet up.

By the way, was the observer Nick with a double-barrelled name, probably riding a FJR?

sdrio

By the way, was the observer Nick with a double-barrelled name, probably riding a FJR?
No, BMW 1200, can't remember the surname, I think it's on the report I'll have a look.

Tall guy, grey hair, must be mid / late 40s. Said he has a 17 year old son who is doing the course as well.

sdrio

Just an update on this creaky old thread - I passed my advanced test on Wednesday, managed to blag a first too.

Can thoroughly recommend doing it, I started it with 32 years of riding under my belt, but I still learned an awful lot. You get to meet a lot of other bikers too, which is good.

Stay upright y'all.

Scim77

I joined my local ROSPA group in March 2016. I have enjoyed many group ride-outs in the company of good but safe, fast riders and received top quality training from very smart guys. The ROSPA training, all based on the Police Rider's Handbook "Roadcraft", is very intelligent stuff and has helped me to polish and refine my riding. It has made me a better and safer rider and removed many areas of concern and uncertainty, giving me an assurance based on real understanding. It is the one of the best biking decisions that I have made, despite having ridden for 50 years. You are never too old to learn more and improve. I passed my ROSPA RoADAR test a month ago and achieved a ROSPA Gold.

We all need to be as savvy as possible and advanced rider training is enjoyable and priceless. Any bike training to an advanced level is thoroughly worthwhile and a true life-saver.

bobh

Congratulations Scim77, a RoSPA Gold is a superb result.

Not only does this training make you a better and safer rider, it also makes riding more enjoyable. As the saying goes "What's not to like?"