Headlight Safety - Motorway

loneranger

So I rode my bike last night n the M23. I found the headlight vision very poor indeed when riding in stretches with no motorway lighting. Didn't reach very far out and certainly had no illumination for any motorway signs. I had to slow down a bit as the cats eyes were not illuminating very well. I had a look at adjustments this morning but found there isn't any as bottom end is a bracket and the top are secured by bolts?

Any one have the same issues. I am sure I could replace the bulb as per earlier threads but not sure this will improve too much.

Just concerned as not sure I will be riding at night in the near future because of this issue

D

Deleted member 20

1. Replace H4 with Philips/Osram +110% bulb, this is enough to read signs.
2. Replace W5W buld to LED, makes you more visible but doesn't light up the road.
3. Add some proper LED light to light up the road in front of you. My MT-07 mounted Acerbis Vision LED handguards does an excellent job here.

Just FYI, my TDM with dual H7 +110% bulbs, W5W LED and a 6x3 watt CREE LED ramp gives an incredible flood of light everywhere, driving 160 km/h on the motorway at night is a blast, is't almost brighter than daylight.
View attachment 1065

Ralph

I haven't looked but it will be adjusted by 2 adjusters likely on the back, you wont
adjust it by moving the light it's self likely shows the adjusters in the owners book.

GuyInTheCorner

LoneRanger, I'm with you on the headlight not being bright enough. I took a trip from Sheffield to Coventry down the M1 & it felt like i was riding in the dark. Especially as it was raining. Even on my ride home from work (usually at night) seeing the road ahead (and the million pot holes) is a nightmare.

Does anyone know if this is worth getting or just replace the original bulbs?
Bi-Xenon HID H4 H/L Headlamp Conversion Kit Yamaha MT-09 FZ8-N MT-07 | eBay

loneranger

So how does one adjust the headlight beam to point up a bit more. Any ideas. I have the whole front apart before but sure it only has a hinge at the lower end and those two bolts left an fright at top end. So how do you tilt it. I think mine is too low pointing also. I will fit the osram when i get the H4 bulb in a few days anyway

Phil_B

My replacement bulb is sufficient in my opinion Guyinthecorner (Bosch pure light). On main beam it's great. My dipped beam is now very well defined - although does fall a bit near by my opinion.

Concurring with Lone ranger. I'd also be interested to tweak an adjusting screw perhaps to make it point a bit higher up - although I think you'd need to be careful that the main beam doesn't point skywards, or dipped beam become blinding/MOT failure.

Will try to get a photo of the quality of main beam soonish.

Last edited:

Ralph

So how does one adjust the headlight beam to point up a bit more. Any ideas. I have the whole front apart before but sure it only has a hinge at the lower end and those two bolts left an fright at top end. So how do you tilt it. I think mine is too low pointing also. I will fit the osram when i get the H4 bulb in a few days anyway
On page 6/36 of the owners manual there are 2 line drawings of the light unit to the left of the main bulb
there are 2 circular bits one is only half shown I suspect those are were the adjusters are but have not looked
on my bike, one will aju7st the beam up/down the other side to side will look at mine first chance I get.
The lower one is just above the pilot light bulb holder marked 1 on the drawing.

loneranger

yes if you turn your steering full lock to the right then there is a bolt/scrw at lower left side of the headlight rear assembly that you can turn to either raise or lower headlight bulb range. On the other side if you lock your steering to the left is a bolt/screw which adjusts left to right bulb range.

craigieboy

Ye replaced with Osram aswell and there is a big diffrence. Will have to do that adjustment aswell though cheers

RichMT

Me too. Not just a brighter light but much whiter and so much better that the factory fit. I also changed the small bulb with a multi LED which gives a slight blue tint but is extremely visible to other road users. Safety first!

sharky

Me too. Not just a brighter light but much whiter and so much better that the factory fit. I also changed the small bulb with a multi LED which gives a slight blue tint but is extremely visible to other road users. Safety first!
any links for a good W5W LED replacement?

sharky

thank you and30ers! Does 4000k color temp match the X-tremeVision/Night Braker color better that a 6000k?

D

Deleted member 20

Yes, 4000 K LEDs are best. The H4's you mention are somewhere between 3500-4000 K with help of some blue tint on the glass. Standard bulbs 2800-3500 K. Xenon 4000-4500 K.

Don't even consider 6000 Kelvin LEDs. They are reserved exclusively for turbo/supercharged drifting cars from Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdrio

Not sure what the science is behind it, but these whiter lights seem way more visible than standard ones.

I suppose it could be something as simple as they're brighter, but I find there's something about the colour of the light that just grabs attention. It the fact they're different that catches my eye.

Just for that reason I think they're worth having. Anything that makes a bike more visible is a good thing.