hello from new member, and thinking of taking the plunge.

sussex pirate

Hello to Everyone and I'm so pleased that this forum exists. I stumbled across it this afternoon, and have been reading and enjoying the wealth of information that is on here.

Firstly, a little bit about myself. I have fallen in love with the idea of owning a MT- 07, the only problem is that my motorbike riding experience is nil! I am doing my CBT this week, and hopefully if I do ok, I am going to continue along the DAS route to get my full bike licence.

So, that is the first thing going against me, the other is that I'm 56 years old. I'm expecting alot of experienced riders to tell me to forget it, and that I've left it too late, but the desire has really got to me. I can't remember being this excited since I first passed my driving test.

On the plus side, I do have experience in handling bikes, as I'm a Club, BSB, and MotoGP Race Marshal, but ofcourse don't actually get to ride them. Maybe also on another plus is that I own a Caterham R300, which I know is completely different to a bike, but I do have to be mindful of how I drive it to keep my licence, and also the attitude of other car drivers who don't expect to see a little car at junctions etc, so I have learnt a certain amount of self preservation when out on the road.

I would welcome any thoughts and advice, (please don't be too harsh) that any other members are happy to share with me. I don't think I am going to change my mind, but maybe I should consider another route/first bike, before I embark on this very exciting journey.

Thank you for reading this, and I apologize if it was a bit long!

banjo

Is 56 too young for an mt07

Hi and welcome to the forum,
My opinion is that your definitely not too old to enjoy the MT as a first bike, it is very easy to ride very light to move around and agile to ride.
So long as you smooth with the throttle and open it progressivly it feels more like a 125 to ride its only when you open it up it starts to really pull.
you also have a lot of road experience which will help ( just remember every car driver has''nt seen you or if he has is still tying to knock you off)
I'm12 yrs older than you and I still really enjoy my MT I've had bigger bikes but I have more fun at lower speeds now If you go for a smaller (slower
bike you may out grow it quite quickly.The main thing is to always ride at the speed you feel comfortable at. Confidence comes with mileage.
Just as when you pass your car test that is the start of your learning.Have fun
Dave

sash

welcome mate!
You are never too old, just go out and have fun with the bike, and stop overthinking things. :)
njoy! sash

Eddieh93

Welcome sussex pirate!

Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of helpful stuff around here. Also dont forgot to add things of your own.

Less thinking more buying!!!!!

Ralph

Go for it, you have the right mind set and are going about it the right way
I doubt very much you will have any problems I too am about 12 years
older than you though I have always rode bikes, with your R300 you
will be used to things happening a little faster than a family car.

sdrio

It's certainly not a case of discouraging you from doing it - I'm 50 in a couple of weeks, and I'm not the oldest person posting here. I think it's a great age to be riding bikes.

Simple facts. The risks you face are the same ones that a 17 year old faces. You lack experience, and that is probably the biggest factor in accidents. You benefit though from a) not being 17, and b) already having plenty of experience on the road, albeit on 4 wheels. This gives you an advantage. The idea that you needs to assume that car drivers haven't seen you is utterly vital to safe biking, possibly rule number one, so that's another tick.

I think your plan is good, and I think the MT07 is an ideal bike to be shooting for. It's fun and nimble, but it's not the brain-off racer that new or reborn bikers tend to stuff into hedges.

When you've done your CBT, and test, think about carrying on. Look at bikesafe, which is a taster course for advanced riding, then maybe look at the IAM advanced test or ROSPA. Two and a half years from now, you could be calling yourself one of the best riders out there, and have a lot of fun in between.

Any experienced biker who discourages you has his head up his butt. It'll be people who don;t understand biking that do that. Any proper biker will be pleased to welcome you.

Another thought - about gear. I'd really strongly recommend you don't scrimp too much on it. Assuming you're not aiming for track days, look at a really good set of textile outers (Rukka Goretex is the Daddy, but there are others), decent gloves, proper biking boots, which have armour in the right places, and a decent helmet - Arai, Shoei, that kind of thing. It will cost you a grand or so, but staying dry and warm in shitty weather makes a vast difference to your enjoyment.

robodene

Firstly, please do not let anyone put you off. They always have negative stories for you. Ignore them. I am 20 years older than you, and grateful for good health. I returned to biking about 8 years ago after a 50 year break. It is the best thing I have done in years. My motto: 'Just do it'. (I have now started to learn the saxophone..). While riding I am on constant watch for the unexpected. And I never rush a decision because that's when I have made mistakes. The MT 07 is a fabulous, quality bike for new and older riders (and those in between for that matter). All the best.

sussex pirate

Thank you for the warm welcome, and all the very useful advice and encouragement, much appreciated.

I have now done my CBT, and have got to say how much I enjoyed the experience!

I am considering hiring a 125 bike to be able to get some more practice in. I have also booked my theory test for November, and will be looking to do my bike test shortly after. I am also going to do the extensive training to hopefully build up my confidence.

Right now, I have the daunting task of buying my helmet and protective gear, The choices seem endless!

sdrio

To be honest, you could buy a tatty 125 and probably insure it for less than you'd pay to hire one. If you get something Japanese, about 5 years old or so, you'll sell it for almost as much as you pay for it. YBR or CBF 125s are solid and reliable, if not very exciting. Definitely go for a geared bike if you're planning to buy something bigger - get used to it now.

Don't be tempted by the cute looking and cheap Chinese things though, they have a disastrous reputation for build quality, and depreciation is catastrophic, especially if you buy a new one.