Is this shift clunk normal? (video inside)

live2ride

Hi there

I find my brand new MT07 shift way too clunky, specially 1st gear. Judge for yourself

Clunky_gear_video

My former bike was a 1989 Suzuki GS500, a rusty iron comparing to the MT, but shift changes were smoother. The bike has just 2000km, first revision passed, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ralph

Hard to tell but mine goes into first with quit a clunk I think it's
the stacked gear box design the gears don't run in oil like
on older designs so there's not as much oil drag to brake
the clutch friction, try this it only works on a cold engine so
first start of the day, start bike pull in clutch keep it pulled
give engine a little sharp rev then put it in gear, the rev breaks
any friction and it goes in gear quieter, also check you dont
have to much free play in the clutch cable.

Last edited:

iskaron

Mine goes into first with very similar sound, but only when cold. After she warms up, it's better (but not totally smooth).
She has 15k kms and does it from first day. I asked about that a Yamaha mechanic back on 1000km service and he told me it's perfectly normal.

live2ride

First, thank for your replies.

As you can notice in the video, not only makes a big "clunk", but it also moves a bit, too...

Ralph

I honestly don't think yours is any different to mine and I am not
worried about mine though it is about the most clunky bike going
into gear I can remember owning.I think it's just how they are the
2 other 07's I have ridder are the same.

live2ride

First, thank for your replies.

As you can notice in the video, not only makes a big "clunk", but it also moves a bit, too...

P

Peter

It is normal. Powerful bikes does the same. You know what happens before you release the clutch.

live2ride

Thanks again, folks. I have been riding motorbikes over 25 years and I was (wrongly) guessing, the newer the bike, everything smoother, and I was a bit afraid of breaking something on the guts of my new bike. Thanks for your valuable comments.

Ralph

My 40 year old as a better gear box no clunks or clicks in any gear but a little harder to find neutral,
mine likes fast changes as in start the foot movement as soon as you start to pull the clutch don't give
the revs time to drop right off and you get a smoother change.

Simoncrp

I find that the more gentle you try and be when changing gears, conversely, the rougher and jerkier the gear change!

lcman

I took an MT07 Tracer out at the weekend and found the gear change to be far better than my MT07, I mentioned it to the guys in the workshop and they also agreed as have other customers who had been out on there demo Tracer.

All things considered I think I will be selling my current 07 for a 07 Tracer, it is taller, more comfortable (I have a Yam Comfy Seat fitted to my 07 and it far better than that), has a bigger tank, the screen works well and the bike appears to handle a lot better especial on the front end although Ohlins have just release a fork upgrade package with a lot more adjustments than standard at about £200.

Eddieh93

I thought most bikes have a clunk when going into first, maybe a cold bike as already suggested and in my opinion I dont think its anything to worry about.