Minor drop, help with damage assessment!

Phil_B

I've had the inevitable boo boo today. After taking the bike out with a bit of a cold, I pulled up at home, switched it off and went to put it on the side stand. Except that I hadn't put it down!

I only realised this once I was past the point of no return but managed a gentle lay down.
Fortunately, it was ridiculously light to pick up, and it appears that the foot peg has taken all of the bikes relatively low weight (the hero blob had bent inwards). I'll get this replaced as the alloy moulding for the blob to screw into has broken.

Other than that, minor scuffing on the top of the side stand lever itself and very end of the gear lever (which hopefully isn't bent and shifts fine).

But I'm not sure if I've bent the foot of the side stand a bit? Can anyone take a look at yours and tell me if yours splits at the bottom like mine?

Damaged peg, blob bent back but you can see the blue thread lock:

Hopefully straight lever:

Sidestand, which I'm hoping was like this beforehand I.e. see the two edges at the front:

Miraculously no other scuffing on forks, axles, bars, levers, engine cases, frame etc. Phew!

Last edited:

Will145

Hi Phil, sorry to hear this fella. It happens to the best of us. Here's my side stand - looks like yours in a tad bent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rappetor

Aww, that's a shame! Mine is the same as Will, so indeed yours is a bit bent. Put some of that 'stop rust stuff' and perhaps metal epoxy in it and hammer it flat. That should do the trick. Or just hammer it flat without adding anything..

Phil_B

Thanks guys. I appreciate you taking the time. Whilst it's annoying and I'm kicking myself for a stupid moment... I'm also incredibly lucky that only these bolt on parts touched down and gave way to ensure a soft landing.

I'm sure I could do nothing and it would be fine. But I'll take it in for a new peg and a look at the side stand. The perfectionist in me will be happier then!

Anthony

I had a minor run in with the bad headlight, dark night and a slip-road that had a sudden turn.

With the damage you have on yours. I would not recommend replacing any parts yet. the side stand is going to see some wear, might as well wear it for a bit longer before replacing it.

Phil_B

Blimey, I hope you're alright?

I see your point that it's still fully rideable. I think I'd like to get a new peg just to keep it in good nick! They're only about 20 quid.

I think I've decided on the side stand foot to go on the bottom of mine also. That should help bulk it up and protect it.

i had a drop when walking the bike backwards on a incline at work. very red faced and thanks to all the crash protection only damage is to the bar end and paint off the right hand lever and foot peg.
thrashed it on the motorway after to see if all was ok. dash read sd-30 after the drop but soon went when engine restarted. it happens to the best of us

busey

Think I read in the manual something about it having a cut out to stop engine if bike drops past a set angle sd-30 is probably the code for this

Phil_B

Hi Anthony, if it's any use to you I don't mind sending what I have, but it won't be a full peg. I am literally only going to replace the footpeg body; no 18 here: https://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/genuineparts/20152/35/yamaha mt07/stand -footrest?uID=1051033634 because the threaded hole for the hero blob (no. 24) has broken.

Plus a new cotter pin to help me fit it. The rest should just bolt on or screw back in I'm hoping.

These cost £19, so pretty cheap to have it like new - and should save me the hassle of getting it done at dealer prices. I was going to order a few more bits but thought I would try out the supplier with a small order first.

Phil_B

All fixed with a new peg!

Anthony, this part is yours if you want it but a new replacement isn't dear.

ocdonny

I dis the same thing and lost the blob somewhere while riding. Just broke off putting kick down. For a part that is surely to hit ground at a lean through a corner it sure isn't tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommeke

@ Phil
If you want to straighten the sidestand heat it up and hammer it flat on a hard surface. A bit of paint afterwards and you're good to go

Tommeke

The 30° comes out of the manual. You're right the angle is 60 . When it gets smaller then 30 from the ground the engine cuts off .
Thinking about that Marquez would crash the bike cause to the cutoff in a turn [emoji50]

Ralph

It wont cut out if your moving due to centrifugal force but will cut if you lean it far enough when stopped,
if it does cut you will likely have to turn the ignition off and on to get it to reset,