MT-07 Two Weeks On

DJP

I really liked my 1250 Bandit, having owned it for 6 years, but it wasn't the most reliable bike and I felt that I'd come to the end of the road with it. At least the experience forced me to re-evaluate what I actually need and want from two wheels.

My motorcycle needs have evolved and these days my main use is commuting. That said, fun's still on the agenda but I just don't need mega power – especially when it comes wrapped in a bike that's more complex than needs be. In any case, I've always had a minimalist streak when it comes to motorcycles and I was drawn to the raw simplicity of the MT07: Right Way Up forks, cable operated controls, no ABS, no electronic power settings, no fairing.

First impressions are of a light and compact bike but still with sufficient room for taller riders (I'm 6'1" with a 33" inside leg and found it fine). I actually found it more spacious than the apparently larger MT09, which seemed to tuck my legs further back.

Build quality is good, with the castings being particularly impressive. Cost cutting is evident in the digital instruments, which are clearly cheaper than traditional clocks, and an abundance of self colour black plastic in place of the usual painted items - good, sensible measures which in no way detract from the overall appearance.

Nice touches abound: From the minimalist frame, using the engine as a stressed member, to the elegant rear shock arrangement hinging off the back of the engine. Everything seems to have been designed for weight saving and simplicity. Even the pillion footrests are a minimalist work of art. The result is 179 Kg wet. That's light. It even comes shod with decent Bridgestone BT-023 tyres.
I test rode the MT-07 back-to-back with the Honda NC750X and the difference is night and day. Both bikes are 270 degree twins, both are designed with an eye to economy and both pull strongly from stupidly low revs. But the Yamaha is far smoother and 50% more powerful than the Honda. I liked it enough to buy one.

The engine is willing and very smooth for a twin, giving off a muted, but purposeful, burble. I imagine that it would sound very good, in a traditional way, with a more open pipe. Never mind all the talk of 270 degree crankshafts and V-Twin feel, it reminds me more than anything (in a good way) of a well sorted 1960s Brit bike.

The handling is fantastic on a smooth road although the firm suspension can be a little jiggly on the rougher, post winter, British roads. The overriding impression is of a very light bike which changes direction instantly. Coupled to the flexible engine, this makes for a formidable back roads weapon.

The first 5 gear ratios are fairly close with the sixth following the current fashion of being a definite overdrive. I'm gratified to find that over the first few tanks of fuel the bike has managed 62 mpg. I fully expect this to increase with normal use – at the moment, I’m still in the break-in period and varying the revs far more than I normally would.

Typical of unfaired bikes, ultimate speed is limited more by rider comfort than engine output: 80 mph is comfortable. 100 mph isn't. Although, of course, the bike is capable of a fair bit more than that. Suits me: The modern UK is festooned with speed cameras and I'm fast coming to the conclusion that bikes that make speeding easy are just asking for trouble.

What more can I say? It's no sports bike: It delivers fun at legal speeds, rewards it with decent economy and looks good doing it. Oh yeah, it's cheap too. What's not to like?

L

Lonerider

Thanks for your review. After a couple of years with dual purpose bike, the taste of street bike seemed to come back since last fall. The FZ-07 will be my 10th street bike, I don't need 100 hp. I tested the kawasaki er6n. The performance was very fun but the motor is way too vibey for my taste. And i don't want to buy again a SV650S because the clip-on are way too low. So the FZ-07 seems to be the ideal bike for me right now, And i was stunned by the price for our market (canada). Just 1000$ more than the Honda CB500F. Si i didn't resist. The FZ-07 will get here at the end of june.

Phil_B

Thanks for posting your review DJP. It was a very good read and its interesting to get the view of riders stepping down from bigger bikes.

I'm surprised on your experience with the bandit. A relative is on his second, puts about 20k year on them with no bother

Here's hoping the MT is more reliable.

DJP

...I'm surprised on your experience with the bandit. A relative is on his second, puts about 20k year on them with no bother...
To put it in perspective, I had no issues with the previous air cooled Bandits that I owned.

However, the water cooled ones seem to be a different kettle of fish: Far more complicated and with a number of "Known issues" which, slowly but surely, mine started to exhibit.

Without doubt, a sublime engine and gearbox but the rest of the bike was sub-standard compared to the previous generation.

WRT to “Stepping down” I'd begun to feel like a change and, after a 1250, it's not like you can really “step up”, well not without going to extremes of performance and/or price anyway.

Overall, I felt like something lighter and more nimble. Initially, I was thinking along the lines of a KTM 690 or similar but I found proper supermotos a little too full-on for everyday use.

Hence when the MT07 came out, with similar weight but with the advantage of a smoother, twin cylinder, lump I was interested right away.

Dede

..snip...
I test rode the MT-07 back-to-back with the Honda NC750X and the difference is night and day. Both bikes are 270 degree twins, both are designed with an eye to economy and both pull strongly from stupidly low revs. But the Yamaha is far smoother and 50% more powerful than the Honda. I liked it enough to buy one.

The engine is willing and very smooth for a twin, giving off a muted, but purposeful, burble. I imagine that it would sound very good, in a traditional way, with a more open pipe. Never mind all the talk of 270 degree crankshafts and V-Twin feel, it reminds me more than anything (in a good way) of a well sorted 1960s Brit bike.

The handling is fantastic on a smooth road although the firm suspension can be a little jiggly on the rougher, post winter, British roads. The overriding impression is of a very light bike which changes direction instantly. Coupled to the flexible engine, this makes for a formidable back roads weapon.

...snip...

What more can I say? It's no sports bike: It delivers fun at legal speeds, rewards it with decent economy and looks good doing it. Oh yeah, it's cheap too. What's not to like?
Thank you for your review - I was also considering that Honda, as well as the ER-6N. Somewhat disapointed the FZ-07 (our MT-07) can't be had with ABS in Canada, but that's probably the price NOT to pay for a really naked bike...

Rogerb

So just picked my red abs version after several weeks wait, and thankfully, sunny weather. First impressions are excellent, light, easy to ride and adequate power. Still taking it easy with the occasional blast, but I sense it is going to provide a lot of fun.

sdrio

Any problems with gear selection?

Mine sometimes can't find 3rd when changing up from 2nd. Takes several stabs to get it in.

Will145

I've not any problems with gears to speak of - owned two weeks and 300 miles done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Ditto, very smooth, never missed a cog yet, 500 miles. And a bit of a newbie...so I do tend to stand on the lever when coming down the box!

sdrio

I've not any problems with gears to speak of - owned two weeks and 300 miles done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll update this one - Haven't had it happen for the last week, so probably just a 'settling down' issue, which could be me or the bike.

Problem solved.

bones

I so had a gear shift problem
But discovered it was user error and when I adjusted the gear lever higher it was fine
Think sometimes I was still apying pressure when I shouldn't have been !!

The bike is awesome I love it have had it about 6 weeks and it keeps me smiling