mt07abs owners: comment the quality of the abs system

bhd

Resurrecting an old thread... had my MT07 for a week now and the ABS has cut in twice! One one occasion I was braking hard (but have braked harder on non-abs bikes), but the first time I felt it was just slowing normally for a turn in to a side road and felt it pulse once - wondered what the hell it was as this is the first ABS bike I've had. Is it meant to be this keen?

Ralph

I'v heard it's not the best ABS ever built but mine has not got it so it's only what I have been told,
I can brake very hard on my non ABS one so it's unlikely to be lack of grip.

rappetor

My 2 cents here, have the bike for a year now and don't think I ever had the front ABS kick in (if I was not provoking it e.g. testing how hard I can break on a gravel road). Don't slam on the brake, but ease in a bit and steadily build up pressure. I break quite hard on a regular basis, no ABS at all. Even in the wet is not all bad, slam on the brake and it will ABS but build up pressure nicely and it's almost 'impossible'. At least breaking so hard that it feels your eyes are going to pop out without ABS kicking in is very possible :)

So when you break normally and you feel the ABS working, it means it kinda saved you from a hairy situation there. Perhaps there was some oil or some other dirt, bit of a slippery patch on the ground. Or your 'normally' breaking is not really normal, and you need to ease up :p

Igor

I've had the ABS cut in once but it was my fault during an emergency braking when a car pulled out. I pulled too quickly. Other than that it's never cut in (the back has cut in once or twice but that was when i first got the bike)

Could it be you weren't progressive with the braking not loading the front before bringing in full braking force?

I almost daily practice my emergency braking on a quiet road on my commute home, trying to make it second nature.

Last edited:

Ady

Like others here I've set the back abs off but must likely a result of poor breaking technique!
The first time for a spilt second I thought my foot had hit the road as it's a weird feeling.
I like having abs but hope to never really need it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

spencer

You can turn the ABS off on the MT by pulling the fuse its away you can test how good or bad the breaks are without the ABS on. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. the only thing I hate about the ABS on the MT is the rear break clonk you get when breaking heavy it feels like the break pedal is being ripped off but apart from that their great. O and apart from the rear pedal travel which goes on forever lol but you get used to it.

bhd

You can turn the ABS off on the MT by pulling the fuse its away you can test how good or bad the breaks are without the ABS on. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. the only thing I hate about the ABS on the MT is the rear break clonk you get when breaking heavy it feels like the break pedal is being ripped off but apart from that their great. O and apart from the rear pedal travel which goes on forever lol but you get used to it.

I think I'd rather do the same tests with the ABS on, to see what sort of braking triggers it thanks! Agree about the rear pedal travel, have adjusted it now, but when I got the bike I never thought it was going to engage.

bhd

So when you break normally and you feel the ABS working, it means it kinda saved you from a hairy situation there. Perhaps there was some oil or some other dirt, bit of a slippery patch on the ground. Or your 'normally' breaking is not really normal, and you need to ease up :p
This is a good point, perhaps I should be pleased that it cut in, instead of thinking of it as being a slap on the wrist from the bike! As I said before, on one occasion I was braking hard (heading for a junction where I was hoping/assuming I wouldn't have to stop, but had to re-think suddenly), but on the other it was absolutely normal, gentle braking, straight line, less than 30mph, and honestly, I'm not that heavy-handed! I have tried loads of brake-tests since, but can't make it do it again, I guess because I can't make myself grab a handful of brake that hard.

Ralph

This is a good point, perhaps I should be pleased that it cut in, instead of thinking of it as being a slap on the wrist from the bike! As I said before, on one occasion I was braking hard (heading for a junction where I was hoping/assuming I wouldn't have to stop, but had to re-think suddenly), but on the other it was absolutely normal, gentle braking, straight line, less than 30mph, and honestly, I'm not that heavy-handed! I have tried loads of brake-tests since, but can't make it do it again, I guess because I can't make myself grab a handful of brake that hard.
It sounds like it's doing it's job, maybe the first time it save you from yourself and the second from a patch of slip'y,oily, or gravely road, the rear brake on both the
MT's I have ridden both non ABS have been the best rear disc brakes I have had on a bike.

1a2a3a

is it normal to feel pulses / vibration while applying the rear brake on the abs model?

I felt a strange pulses / vibration, not sure which it which, whenever I'm stepping on the rear brake. And it usually occurs when I'm travelling at 70-80 km/h. As the speed gradually slows down, the pulses becomes more minimal.

Not strange happening with the front though.

CVSensei

That is the ABS kicking in mate. Completely normal, I'd be worrying if you didn't feel pulses and vibrations :)

Ralph

A few have noticed the same thing, it should not pulse under normal braking, it should pulse if you brake
to hard and the tyre is on the point of braking traction to save you from a skid, bike abs does not quite work
the same as car abs on a car it compares the speed of the wheels and if one is going slower than the others
it activates, on an bike it is programmed to activate if the wheel decelerates to fast, question is are you braking to
hard or is it activating to early, that is why you should keep to the same tyres as fitted as if you fit something with
less grip it could still lock and skid or with more grip it will activate when you could have braked harder, I suspect
the 07 one is not the most sophisticated and is set a bit conservatively after all it's not intended as a track day weapon
more a greasy road commuter.

Crypto

I've never had the ABS kick in yet. Are you sure you're using the front brake as your main brake? For example at 70-80km/h, you should probably be using 90% front brake.

1a2a3a

Thanks Brah.

To be frank, I wouldn't have a single clue. First time getting an ABS bike.
On first glance, I thought It was dust particles on the brake disc and hence residing back to the caliper. Took it for a wash and cleaning but to no avail.

If I brake ridiculously hard at high speed, I could feel the vibration. As the speed starts to come down, while maintaining the same pressure of braking power, the vibration doesn't seems to be apparent.
Probably the vibration is to prevent self locking ?

Noggie

I had a very intrusive rear abs on my bike in the beginning, but I was still getting used to the brake on the bike, and I'm a new motorcycle rider, I did have a moped 20 years ago, but my technique was a bit rusty.

This it what I think is the problem.
I was braking too hard and quick on the front brake, nose dived, weight shifted forward, less grip on the rear wheel, and abs kicks in early.

Now I have vastly improved my brake technique, front brake is now a 1-2 finger action, smoother brake application, less nose dive and I hardly ever have the abs kicking in.
I sometimes use only the rear brake in city driving as it makes downshifts easier, no problems with abs at all.

I do think the forks are too soft, and a stiffer front end would reduce the dive, which should limit the shift in weight and improve the rear braking in an emergency situation.

Ralph

When you are braking correctly by far the most braking is done by the front, the rear is
used mostly to steady the bike, the 07 as quite a powerful rear brake more powerful
than any disc braked bike I have ridden and as due to weight transfer the rear goes light
when braking you are likely just over doing it a bit, there's a old saying that if your rear
wheel is on the ground your not braking hard enough, wile this is not quite true just
notice race bikes braking for a corner, the rear is often just skipping along the track,
doing this on the road would be to invite disaster but it gives a idea of how much of
the braking is done by the front.

Irksome

No one has commented about the rear ABS kicking in when downshifting ... I don't think the brake is actually getting applied, but if you downshift aggressively and presumably lock the rear for a moment, then you can hear the ABS pump kicking in.

I can only assume most of you don't ride in towns & cities with intent! I will get some sort of ABS activation on virtually every trip I make unless I'm pootling out to get some milk etc, I've got totally used to it now so it really doesn't bother me any more.

1a2a3a

Agree. Over here in Singapore, it always riding the city. We can never do a spirited riding...
The closest thing that can happened are freeway. which kinda sucks to be honest, given that traffic cam are all over the place.

And yes, I realized my ABS was actively 'on'. kept getting in a start stop situation.

I'm waiting for my hyperpro lowering spring. Heard someone from this forum mentioning that the spring would great reduce the dive as it is a progressive spring.

Ralph

If you are getting it when down shifting and not using the brakes then it's nothing to do with the abs
it's the engine braking you are down shifting a little to aggressively.