Mud and Muck everywhere. Rear Wheel Hugger?

Simoncrp

I have been riding my new MT 07 for only 1 week and it already looks like I have been doing off-road cross country riding! It's filthy from where the rain has come off the back tyre. It's even sprayed up my back on to my helmet! Although, I admit that I did put on a tail tidy.
Will a rear wheel hugger help stop the dirt from going everywhere? If yes, can anyone recommend one that they have bought and installed on their bike?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph

A triumph of fashion over function I am afraid,
bikes are not deigned to be used on anything
else but warm dry days.

Scim77

I knew I should not have sold the old Matchless! Big metal wrap-around mudguards caught all the spray and enabled me to ride 365 days a year without getting filthy, even in the snow! Narrow tyres seemed to bite through to the tarmac regardless.

Does a rear hugger on the MT-07 help to keep any more muck off the rear spring/suspension area?

craigieboy

Just have to put up with it mate. You would need a complete wrap round over the back tyre to make any difference.

Ermax hugger does nothing
Extender fender does hardly anything aswell.

Simoncrp

But I have only been commuting around London streets, not muddy country lanes! Ah well, the joys of riding a motorbike.....

sdrio

But I have only been commuting around London streets, not muddy country lanes! Ah well, the joys of riding a motorbike.....
'fraid it's the tail tidy. Mine is bog standard, same as you I only use for London commuting, and as far as I can see I get no spray at all from the rear end.

[edit] just to clarify, I don't get any spray on me, but the rear end / swingarm / suspension etc is filthy. As per other thread, ACF50 will stop that doing any damage, but nothing will keep it clean. Remember to at least clean and lube the chain regularly, as that gritty crap your bike is covered in will eat your chain and sprockets.

Last edited:

Noggie

I guess one of those swing arm license plate holders with a small mudguard in, like the Ducati diavel and mv Agusta dragster has would stop the spray on your back, and some on the undertray.

buster

I'm still testing this at the moment before its production signs are it does deflect the spray to help keep your back dry !
What do all you guys ...and girls....think ?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I think all of those who use a tail tidy would benefit from using one through the bad weather and it's so easy to take on and off .

Last edited:

kosia

I'm still testing this at the moment before its production signs are it does deflect the spray to help keep your back dry !
View attachment 2646
View attachment 2647
View attachment 2648
View attachment 2649
View attachment 2650
I think all of those who use a tail tidy would benefit from using one through the bad weather and it's so easy to take on and off .
Really small....
I was made mine handmade for liscene plate before 2 months
uploadfromtaptalk1449822566174.jpg

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 2 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Noggie

I would love to swap my MT07 with your Agusta!!
I don't have one.

I'm currently torn between what my next bike will be.
Have looked at the Agusta, looks cool, but really tiny, and the Diavel, but that is more of a cruiser and probably heavy and not all that fun.
I was quite set on a BMW S1000r before the MT-10 came out.
And the Honda CB1000 is also a nice bike, but it's getting old and should be replaced soon.

Think one more season with the MT-07, and then we will see what is on the market in a year or so.

Last edited:

Noggie

Buster.

That is just what I thought of, and it looks pretty good.

Just my personal taste though, but I would like to put the plate on it, at least the option to do so.

KEVINJSTANLEY

eh up Buster, what clever bit of kit, I actually do like the look of it but as you say it is not in production yet. that said I would consider purchasing it but obviously how popular it will be depends on how much they charge for it.
great pics well done

Simoncrp

Is it normal to be getting 47 mpg on my first week riding? I've been going easy with the bike but just filled up the tank and did my calculations and worked out that it's done 47 mpg.

Scim77

Engine performance is dependant on how well the piston rings seal against the cylinder bores. I my experience, also voiced by Velocette in the 1940's, don't be too gentle! The motto then was, "Run them in fast and they stay fast".

You need to create sporadic high combustion pressures to press the rings tightly against the bores, otherwise the bores will glaze and you will never fully exploit the engine's potential. When I rebuilt the Norton, I started with ordinary mineral oil, rode like I stole the bike (using lots of heavy "throttle-on / throttle off" bursts) and changed the oil frequently. The engine never burned any significant amounts of oil, did not smoke at all and went like stink.

It is interesting to read how the Aircraft engine manufacturer 'Lycoming' insist that their engines are bedded in. Google that one - its good bedtime reading :)

The following link is well worth reading thoroughly:-

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Think about it. On the production line, the likes of Honda, Yamaha etc bench run all their engines at full throttle before even sending them out of the factory. But they then advise the new owner to pussy-foot along for 1000 miles or so. Many race bike and racing car engines are built a few nights before a race and then driven flat out. They don't drive them gently around the streets, keeping on light throttles below 50mph!

I just realised - this may need a separate Topic, since it deviates from the "Muck" thread.

Last edited:

PanosGR

View attachment 2646
View attachment 2647
View attachment 2648
View attachment 2649
View attachment 2650
I really like it.
I would definitely buy one for the winter time if the price is reasonable.

Yaminator

What i've done to help is cut a sorta flap from black anitinox plastic and when it rains i attach it to the bottom of the number plate with velcro on the rainy days. So its off when its dry and on when it rains..