Mud and Muck everywhere. Rear Wheel Hugger?

Scim77

A similar arrangement seems to work well on the Ducati Scrambler. This also mounts the rear number plate.

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 14.53.21.jpg

Noggie

A similar arrangement seems to work well on the Ducati Scrambler. This also mounts the rear number plate.

View attachment 2652
Like I mentioned earlier, the Ducati Diavel and the MV Agusta Brutale has the same thing...... probably a few other bikes too.

It appears to have been on the market for years, so I would assume it works reasonably well.

sdrio

Is it normal to be getting 47 mpg on my first week riding? I've been going easy with the bike but just filled up the tank and did my calculations and worked out that it's done 47 mpg.
Probably about right. A new engine normally uses a bit more fuel than one with a couple of thousand miles on the clock, so it'll get a bit better.

I reckon you should be getting about 50 - 55 town riding, maybe 60+ on quicker roads. On a new engine take about 10% off of that.

I filled up this morning, I got 144 miles from about 12.10 litres, which works out to 54mpg, on an engine with about 10,000 miles on it. That's all done in London traffic.

robodene

Looks good. More wet might be caught if the bottom edge was curled outwards? How would it fit with my spindle crash bungs? I would be happy with it connecting all the way to the hugger to form a protective mudguard (but then maybe I am old fashioned).

Simoncrp

Probably about right. A new engine normally uses a bit more fuel than one with a couple of thousand miles on the clock, so it'll get a bit better.

I reckon you should be getting about 50 - 55 town riding, maybe 60+ on quicker roads. On a new engine take about 10% off of that.

I filled up this morning, I got 144 miles from about 12.10 litres, which works out to 54mpg, on an engine with about 10,000 miles on it. That's all done in London traffic.
I'm also commuting in London traffic. ( I'll have to look out for you!!)
Let's hope my consumption improves, although it was a pleasant surprise to see petrol at 99p per litre on Sunday.

sdrio

I'm also commuting in London traffic. ( I'll have to look out for you!!)
Let's hope my consumption improves, although it was a pleasant surprise to see petrol at 99p per litre on Sunday.
You'll never get much better than 55ish, unless you drive slowly enough to annoy yourself. That's my experience anyway. I'm not heavy handed, but I never worry about economy when I'm riding.

I'm the race red 2014 plate whizzing in and out of the city from West London every day.

You need to change your profile info. A vision 110 is probably an outstandingly sensible choice, but it's now ruining your street cred.

Simoncrp

You'll never get much better than 55ish, unless you drive slowly enough to annoy yourself. That's my experience anyway. I'm not heavy handed, but I never worry about economy when I'm riding.

I'm the race red 2014 plate whizzing in and out of the city from West London every day.

You need to change your profile info. A vision 110 is probably an outstandingly sensible choice, but it's now ruining your street cred.
Ha ha! The Vision 110 was the bike my insurance gave me as a courtesy bike after mine was written off. I had it for over 3 months and I got over 105 mpg from it!!

sdrio

Ha ha! The Vision 110 was the bike my insurance gave me as a courtesy bike after mine was written off. I had it for over 3 months and I got over 105 mpg from it!!
It's all right, I have an Aprillia 125 scooter as a spare. I ride that in a couple of times a month just to keep it healthy. I don't get anywhere near 105 from it though. Maybe 70 on a good day.

Noggie

I have seen 74mpg 3.8l/100km on my mt-07,on a really long trip coming down from the mountains., I typically get 64mpg 4.3l/100km on average.

Scim77

I stumbled across these photos of my first (all weather) bike. It is a 1960 AJS 250cc Model 14. I went to school in 1964 on this bike. Note the big wrap-around metal mudguards, fully enclosed chainguard and smooth unit-construction engine unit. It had no power, of course, but handled really well and was in daily use all year round.

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 13.46.35.jpgScreen Shot 2015-12-16 at 13.47.00.jpg

Last edited:

Ralph

Full chain guard as well but the old bikes were intended for every day use not as a
fashion statement for warm dry summer days and even then for no more than a hour
in the saddle, you can still buy bikes like that but they are not cool so only old doges
like me buy them even my Morini is better in the rain keeps much cleaner and you
can ride it all bay and still not walk like John Wayne.

Simoncrp

Back to the previous subject, when the low fuel gauge starts flashing, the odometer switches to the low fuel milometer. How many miles can the bike still do without me having to worry about running out of fuel?

Scim77

Back to the previous subject, when the low fuel gauge starts flashing, the odometer switches to the low fuel milometer. How many miles can the bike still do without me having to worry about running out of fuel?
Refer back to the thread titled "Fuel Tank Capacity". There are lots of useful contributions there.

Scim77

Is expensive but i think are the best rear hugger, refer to Pyramid plastics not Ermax, my next purchase.

https://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/accessories.html?catnum=101756&h=16_101755&d=MT-07 Huggers
I agree with uruluzz. The Ermax is stylish but does not offer much better protection than the original Yamaha guard. Pyramid Plastics is much more enveloping and has a long central rear tongue which sits between the tyre and the suspension, shielding the joints and spring better. My Carbon guard is on order and might just arrive before Christmas with any luck. I will report back with muck-splattered photos eventually.