Mud and Muck everywhere. Rear Wheel Hugger?

Welsh Wizard

Hi Simoncrp,

Yes, it will.

My recommendation is that you purchase and fit a Pyramid Plastics ( UK company ) combined tyre hugger and chain guard. They are are from being the cheapest out there, but they are very good quality, and the fit is absolutely spot-on.

Other tyre hugger manufacturers you could also try are Puig ( Spanish ) and Ermax ( French ).

I can take a photograph of the Pyramid Plastics that I fitted to my MT-07 if you wish. Let me know.

Regards,

Alan ( aka WelshWizard )

Simoncrp

Hi Simoncrp,

Yes, it will.

My recommendation is that you purchase and fit a Pyramid Plastics ( UK company ) combined tyre hugger and chain guard. They are are from being the cheapest out there, but they are very good quality, and the fit is absolutely spot-on.

Other tyre hugger manufacturers you could also try are Puig ( Spanish ) and Ermax ( French ).

I can take a photograph of the Pyramid Plastics that I fitted to my MT-07 if you wish. Let me know.

Regards,

Alan ( aka WelshWizard )

Yes please. A photo would be great.

Welsh Wizard

Rear Wheel Hugger - Pyramid Plastics

Hi Simoncrp,

Festive greetings to both yourself and all Forum members.

As requested, here are a few photographs of my MT-07 with the Pyramid Plastics combined tyre hugger and chain guard that I recently fitted.

P1080316.jpgP1080317.jpgP1080313.jpgP1080312.jpgP1080311.jpgP1080308.jpgP1080307.jpg

Also worthy of note, I've also just bought and fitted a Puig engine spoiler/belly pan, and Puig Radiator covers. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a Puig windscreen as well and a Wilbers (German) rear shock. I'm told that the Wilbers rear shock is based on an Ohlins rear shock design.

P1080315.jpgP1080307.jpgP1080309.jpgP1080310.jpg

Regards,

Alan ( aka Welsh Wizard )

Attachments

Welsh Wizard

Hi Simoncrp,

Merry Christmas.

I just love it here in Australia, or more specifically Brisbane in Queensland. Brisbane has a sub-tropical climate and the Brisbane winters are similar to the UK summers, i.e. blue cloudless skies, 25 degree C and almost no rain.

To be honest I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, and from my perspective it is motorcycling heaven.

Regards,

Alan (aka Welsh Wizard

sharky

Really small....
I was made mine handmade for liscene plate before 2 months
View attachment 2651

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 2 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
very nice outcome! It really shows the bike's rear end.

Can you send some close up's? Is it efficient with the mud?
I think we had the same thought on the indicators :cool: aren't those led strips just under the drivers seat?

buster

Here you go mate image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
My bike was used to produce the hugger and I'm just in the process of testing the new splash guard this was after a few miles of back roads with lots of tractor mud everywhere !
The signs are good I rode through stuff you wouldn't dream of doing normally and the back of the fleece jacket that I wear over my leathers while on the bike looked like this image.jpg
Dryer than usual and much less mud splatter.!

Last edited:

Scim77

I have also recently fitted a Pyramid Plastics rear hugger. I changed my order twice but Pyramid were totally unfazed and really helpful. I opted for the Carbon-effect hugger, like Welsh Wizard's. It is very well made, strong, attractive and light-weight. It uses existing Yamaha location points and is dead easy to fit. My main reason for this particular hugger is that it fully shields the rear suspension, rather than leaving gaps where gritty road spray can bombard the rear shock and linkages. I have enclosed photos of the hugger before I fitted it, to show the long front tongue which curves right from the top of the mudguard to well below the rear swing arm lateral. With my bike unloaded, this hugger front tongue sits a few thou above the Akro exhaust, this clearance increasing when I am on the bike. Perfect!
I have done 100 miles in the last two days (the sun shines in Sussex) and the muck around the rear suspension is dramatically reduced. Once Buster's prototype is approved, I will probably add a Pyramid rear splash guard too. Well done, Pyramid Plastics!

IMG_0632.jpgIMG_0633.jpg

Last edited:

kosia

very nice outcome! It really shows the bike's rear end.

Can you send some close up's? Is it efficient with the mud?
I think we had the same thought on the indicators :cool: aren't those led strips just under the drivers seat?
Isn't so effective to mud but if you want your rear more beauty You have to accept the consequences....[emoji12] [emoji12]
Yes there are indicators under drivers sest

And one more closer

Sorry to be late to answer you

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 2 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

sdrio

Revisiting the ACF50 posts, just leaving a little tip here, having cleaned and reapplied it to mine this weekend.

Those little pump-up bottles you use for it, most of the time they just squirt a thin jet of the stuff which has to then be spread with a cloth or paintbrush. Quite a bit of work, and doesn't guarantee good coverage.

The solution is to hold the bottle at a sharp angle, or even upside down. This lets air in from the bottom of the feeder pipe, and you get a nice fine mist coming out, which covers much better.

Just keep it well pumped/pressurised, as when the pressure gets low, it goes back to the thin jet.

(Edit - you have to tip it back upright now and then to refill the pipe)

Last edited:

addy

You could give this a try.

[video=youtube;UOXnsrxOCyc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOXnsrxOCyc[/video]

sdrio

Hmm. Nice. 25 quid to re-uglify the back end.

The lid off an ice cream tub is much cheaper, and looks about as good. :D

Noggie

My first thought was that if this thing could slide up and down behind the plate it would be great.
The bend just below the plate normally, a wing nut on the back and it slides down and tighten with the same nut for those rainy days....... Could work.

addy

That's just it there isn't a way of keeping yourself clean and having it look as good, it's nowhere as bad as the original lump of plastic the bike comes with but its something you can fit for the winter months and easily remove come spring.

The ducati style mudguards that have been posted also just look out of place on this bike, probably down to the materials used but they look cheap.

Last edited:

Scim77

Since fitting a Pyramid hugger, I have ridden for several days in wet and mucky conditions. The hugger has reduced the amount of horrible filth from bombarding the rear spring and suspension linkages. Here are some photos. (I will clean it soon Gaz, honest!)

IMG_0644.jpgIMG_0645.jpgIMG_0647.jpg

I have also made a polished aluminium plate that slots behind the number plate, to reduce spray onto my jacket during Winter riding. It looks prettier than the Touratech Universal Splash-guard and I will post pics and report after my next outing. I can easily remove it when nicer weather arrives.

1a2a3a

I do tend to agree the pyramid plastic works very well (I owned one myself too)

Apart from there, I had installed the ECN splashguard, works wonder too.

And to be super protective, I added a top box, Krauser Hepco and Becker (not too sure if I spelt it correctly).

Rider and pillion all good, no mud or dirt or anything :D

Rockardbiker

Hi All nube to the forum, not read much yet but looks good from what I have seen.
My MT07 still has the original pooper scooper on the back, and I must say it is completely useless. I am gett so much crap up my back that I have started to wear a cheap waterproof jacket to protect my decent riding gear.
My Blade has a tail tidy, but is fitted with a large hugger as standard and I do not get anything like the amount of crud on my gear.
Can someone who has fitted a large hugger let me know if this helps reduce the muck spearding?
Many thanks
Tel

bhd

I have the Pyramid Plastics hugger, there's no doubt that it's an improvement on the standard fitment, but whether it's 145 quids worth better is another matter. The shock is clean, the linkage is not, and a fair amount of crap still lands on the pillion seat. Fine spray still decorates my rucksack with a good layer of filth.

bobh

Maybe my memory is failing, but I don't remember another winter like this one for the sheer quantity of sticky carp on the roads that gets all over the bike, the back end in particular.

Because it's so sticky, it's not enough to just hose it off, you have to brush as well, and that takes off whatever anti-corrosion stuff you've got on there (ACF50 in my case). Also, there hasn't been a lot of wind, so it's difficult to get the bike properly dried off to re-apply ACF and/or chain lube.

I'm told that the stickiness is due to the local councils mixing molasses in with the salt, so it doesn't wash off the roads so quickly. Well, I'm sure it works for that purpose, but it certainly makes it much harder to keep the bike clean!

Roll on spring!