New (old) member from Australia

Ratmick

Hi all,

My name is Mick, I hail from the Macedon Ranges around 90km NNE of Melbourne in Australia.

Started riding at the relatively advanced age of 36 on a Kawasaki GPX250R, graduated to a ZZR-600 and then a Honda CB900F6 Hornet.

Alas the Hornet was purchased just before my marriage imploded in 2007 and my Ex shot through leaving me with the three kids, unrenovated house and all the debt.

Sold the Hornet early 2014 with 9500km on the odometer and not having being ridden for two years.

Things have improved, kids are all adults now and my eldest is a father himself...which means some spare time to myself, especially so now my new partner works every weekend.

Picked the MT-07 up last Wednesday, this is the full-powered AUS version (the one everyone else gets as the 'normal' version), not the restricted learner-approved model.

Only have ridden about 250km so far, but it's an absolute joy to ride. Light and flickable and still enough power for a grumpy old grandfather who is short-of-leg.

Only started adding bits, since the pics were taken I've added a fly screen and led indicators, plus a charge lead under the pillion seat.

I have some SW-Motech frame sliders on order, may look at an exhaust and maybe a tail tidy.

Attachments

Last edited:

KEVINJSTANLEY

at least you have the weather more often to enjoy... I am envious , but yes being older as I think many bikers are now a days the mt is fun and light and wait to till you put a Akra or other aftermarket exhaust on then you really will smile

Noggie

welcome.

I just got into this myself and bought my MT, my first bike at 37.
Its a fun bike for sure.
adding bits is part of the fun.

Ratmick

at least you have the weather more often to enjoy... I am envious , but yes being older as I think many bikers are now a days the mt is fun and light and wait to till you put a Akra or other aftermarket exhaust on then you really will smile
Not sure how it's going in the UK but summer started early this year, looks like it'll be a pretty bad El Niño.

But yeah, the riding season has started early.

It normally gets pretty cold and wet up here in winter (by Aussie standards), so it's likely winter rides won't be that common. Temperatures down to -5C and black ice are bad enough in the car, and we get a dusting of snow once or twice a season.

I'll take the good weather until it gets too hot to go out...45C with protective gear and a helmet isn't much fun either!

The Dealer I bought mine off had a ex-demo LAMS (Learner Accredited Motorcycle Scheme) MT-07 with the 655cc engine and a carbon fibre Akro, never did hear it running and with the Akro was more expensive than my bike. I've seen a few clips on YouTube though...

Ratmick

welcome.

I just got into this myself and bought my MT, my first bike at 37.
Its a fun bike for sure.
adding bits is part of the fun.
Thanks Noggie, they're such an easy bike to ride they make an excellent first ride...

...much better than my GPX250R.

b00f

Welcome Mick..

You on facebook? You should come join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/788571187846368/

Ratmick

Done b00f (entry is pending approval), thanks...

I thought I was accepted by one of the admins earlier, but it looks like I was mistaken.

Last edited:

Ratmick

One more try b00f then I'll not bother.

No-one approving my request, as I said I had a message saying it was approved then I was kicked out before I posted anything.

I have put several requests in since, nothing. They do seem to be hitting something as my last request was not accepted but wasn't pending either.

No big deal.