New rider alert.....[emoji599]

mattox0904

Hello all. I'm a bit lost [emoji23]. I've decided it's time to get a bike. For a lot of reasons - I can now afford it, my daily commute will be quicker and cheaper, but mostly because I think I've wanted to for a long time and I think I'll love it.

After flicking through the Internet, looking for a first bike with the guidance of a couple of biker mates, I stumbled on the MT-07 and I think I'm sold. I take it it's a good choice? I'm 37, 6 foot 4, and am about average build. I looked at the BMW G310R on the rookie to rider scheme but have been told I'd be too big for that bike (the MT-07 looks infinitely better anyway).

My first conundrum is where to do my test. I shamefully admit I've never even sat on a bike before. Are there good and bad centres? I'm in Oxfordshire and would like to find somewhere reasonably priced and decent. Does anyone know where I can look? I'd like to find somewhere that uses MT-07's if possible as well...

I'm going to need a lot of help along the way I think and am a bit nervous (but also really excited) about getting on a bike. I might use this forum as a bit of a blog for the journey from ultimate novice to a confident, safe and responsible rider (I hope!)

Thanks in advance for any tips and pointers [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralph

Hi Mattox and welcome,
Cant help with the training as I am up North but round here they tend to be associated with a dealer
so after your training/test you are known by them and can usually get test rides on bikes so find
something you like, the MT is a good choice as a commuter it's light goes and stops well and very
good on fuel, seats a bit hard but that can be changed or there are different bikes with the same
engine that may be worth a look and thinking of your height a trial version is on the way,
Many people thing of these bikes as low powered starter bikes but don't be misled first time you
get on one after a 125 it will be a shock to the system, I am not sure of the rules these days re
getting a licence and age but before jumping in I would go talk to the training center and work out
the best way for you.
Stay safe no matter who is in the right a bike will come off worst against most other road users
treat everyone else as a homicidal maniac but above all enjoy yourself.

mattox0904

Hi Mattox and welcome,
Cant help with the training as I am up North but round here they tend to be associated with a dealer
so after your training/test you are known by them and can usually get test rides on bikes so find
something you like, the MT is a good choice as a commuter it's light goes and stops well and very
good on fuel, seats a bit hard but that can be changed or there are different bikes with the same
engine that may be worth a look and thinking of your height a trial version is on the way,
Many people thing of these bikes as low powered starter bikes but don't be misled first time you
get on one after a 125 it will be a shock to the system, I am not sure of the rules these days re
getting a licence and age but before jumping in I would go talk to the training center and work out
the best way for you.
Stay safe no matter who is in the right a bike will come off worst against most other road users
treat everyone else as a homicidal maniac but above all enjoy yourself.
Thanks Ralph. All good info. Is there a website to check training centres and find the best one in my area do you know?

Also, I'm going to need all the gear at some point. Is there a decent and cheap store or website where I might be able to get some good stuff at a good price or a deal for everything?

Ralph

With your helmet especially you need to try it on find one that feels comfy but a little tight it will slacken with use,
put it on and shake your head if it moves it's likely to slack, these people have plenty of choice go browse,

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/stores/oxford

Aldi is worth a look, I like the boots and bike jeans they sell not tried their other stuff but they don't have stuff
all the time so check out their special buys.our local Aldi as lots of stuff in just now, it all depends on how much
you want to spend it's quite difficult to find truly waterproof clothing.
J&S do some cheap as in £20 claw gloves they have two fingers so you have two fingers in each they are
good in cold weather but you will need something else for summer as they are a bit to warm for that.

Last edited:

mattox0904

Thanks again Ralph. Didn't even realise that place was just down the road from me! I think I'm going to do my 'taster' session first and use borrowed gear. Then if I decide I'm all good to carry on, I'll get kitted out with the basics ready for my CBT [emoji108]

Stella

Hello
Having failed my direct access I then spent the summer on a 125 and then did a one to one refresher day with these guys before my test http://www.lightningmctraining.co.uk/ They are in Oxford and Reading and I was very impressed :) although it was over ten years ago!
I now have a MT07 which suits me just fine, although I suspect you're too tall. My OH has the 09 and he is six foot - he found the 07 too cramped.