Not even 13l tank capacity

jimm

There are no more than 9lt I fill up the supposed 14lt tank capacity whenever last bar indicator starts to lit!!
So,
I reffered to my authorised mechanics to solve this problem.
At first he told me that there was a problem with data stored at control unit, so he deleted all data but problem remained: No more than 9lt to fill up!

So,
I run a fuel tank capacity control (which I payed 40€ as it's not in guarantee!!) which showed that full fuel tank capacity of MT-07 is not more than 13lt:
2ae5c69b_o.jpg
Share.Pho.to | This photo set was shared via Share.Pho.to
What was made was to empty fuel tank and start fill it, marking what was shown at the fuel indicator. (Not to mention that was made with constantlu open battery circuit , so next day I chanched exhausted battery by paying 90€!)
Results:

1. When last bar indicator starts to flash --> there are 2,5lt in the tank.
2. As far as all 6 bars are lit --> there are something between 9-11 (??12??13?? WHAT EXACTLY?) lt in the tank.

As this is my 1st motorbike, I want to ask if this YAMAHA inaccuracy (14lt instead of no more 13lt fuel tank capacity) [which I believe to be less] is normal. Is this happening to all motorbkes?
What can I (we) make for this?, as on that factor depend autonomy of MT-07.

balki

Dont waste your money worrying about it, as it is what it is.
If you calculate the tank dimensions it will probably be close to 14lt (if its 13.5 they will round up to a whole figure) Its called creative advertising, everybody does it (They will not say, a tank that you can put 14lt of petrol In )
Rough gauge
First bar 50m
All the rest 25m
Reducing slightly as it deminishes and your throttle application

Noggie

The only thing that is important is how much is left when the last starts blinking. If it shows full on 9 or 13 liters don't matter much to me. It's full when I fill it up, and when it starts blinking I need to fill again.

I have also noticed that it stays full for a long time though, but not something I worry about.

xt660isgood2

Digi fuel gauges on cars aren’t much better (you seem to stay on full bars for ages, then they drop like a stone)

If it’s that critical between stops, just run it till it’s dry and stick a few litres in your rucksack, and make a note of the odo for the next time.

I think in this digi age we assume everything is going to mega accurate.

It doesn’t seem that long ago since we actually “looked” in the tank to see how much was left. And that good old “fuel tap” that you had to grab while going round a roundabout one handed on only half your cylinders!

Today it’s like speedo calibration, The manufactures will always air on the side of caution. How many people actually run out of fuel these days?

In the 60’s to at least the 80’s it was common to see some poor sole walking up the road with his thumb out and a plastic container in hand looking rather embarrassed lol

da1kini

When the last bar is blinking are you running on reserve tank? .i think it says in the manual that the last bar blinks before the reserve kicks in. After that you have x litres left?

Also think i read some where that the 14l tank is with reserve included?

Ralph

On mine full 6 blocks
5 blocks 60 miles
4 blocks 86 miles
3 blocks 107 miles
2 blocks 139 miles
1 block 155 miles
Flashing 180 miles
Engine starts to miss on acceleration 228 miles
13.39 lt to refill
that's riding in the 50/60 mph range.

sdrio

On mine full 6 blocks
5 blocks 60 miles
4 blocks 86 miles
3 blocks 107 miles
2 blocks 139 miles
1 block 155 miles
Flashing 180 miles
Engine starts to miss on acceleration 228 miles
13.39 lt to refill
that's riding in the 50/60 mph range.
Wow, I never even get close to that. Mine starts blinking at about 125 miles, I've never done more than about 30 miles after that, and it takes about 13l to fill from that point. I'd guess on reserve the bike has got about 50 miles.

You're getting about 75mpg. Impressive.

Ralph

A lot depends on how and were you ride, I rarely ride in towns and tend to use the higher gears.
I do the round Britain rally and it's handy to know how far it's likely to go on fuel as some places I
visit are miles from a open fuel station especially at night.

Last edited:

sdrio

A lot depends on how and were you ride, I rarely ride in towns and tend to use the higher gears.
I do the round Britain rally and it's handy to know how far it's likely to go on fuel as some places I
visit are miles from a open fuel station especially at night.
Yes, that'd make the difference. All of my riding is in London rush hour. I get something like 50-55/gallon. Still not bad, but it does mean I have to fill up every 4 days.

jimm

The answer of the official dealer /techical requirements was:

· The greatest enemy of the battery is the stillness, not only when it is turned on but even if never used. If you plan to leave the MT 07 your property for periods of over one month (perfectly normal especially in winter) is good to have connected the battery with one of the chargers / maintainers on the market for this use. Corresponding exists in range of accessories Yamaha.

· The fuel level indication of both the MT07 and most Yamaha motorcycles are not as accurate as I understand that you wish, but it is accurate enough to calculate safely how many miles you can travel on the remaining fuel is in the fuel tank. It is true that the indication changes when the bike is inclined like that every bar indicator does not correspond to absolutely same amount as the next but eventually the fuel level gauge serves its purpose.

· Regarding the total capacity of the fuel tank'm sure it's very close to 14 liters announced by Yamaha, maybe exactly. You know, the measurement method and the measurement conditions usually affect the final price which is naturally very close to the value reported.

The same issue (of not even 13lt fuel tank capacity of MT-07) is mentioned here by Peter:
http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-technical-forum/65-fuel-consumption-5.html#post1158

"From total empty to total full I could fill 12.5 Litres of petrol. Total distance covered was 330 km. Trip F showed 58 km. (3.8 L/100km)

It seems the tank capacity is less than 14 Litres.
Based on my experience never ever drive more than 50 km (30 miles) after the fuel warning."

Alex

A few weeks back I ran completely dry...I came to a complete stop 1 km away from a Shell. I filled up (with the bike straight) 13L exactly. Talk to the dealership...he didn't knew what to say.

Ralph

When I fill it I dribble fuel in till it's sitting about half way up the internal neck that's likely why I get
just over 13 litre in.

DJP

Mine generally starts flashing after about 130 - 140 miles and I've never got more than about 10.5 litres in.

If it holds 13 litres then I've got about 25 miles left when it starts to flash.

That's good to know.

Noggie

Just bringing this back to life.
I found that when I have 1 full bar left I put in between 9 and 10 liters in the tank.

Also it stays on 6 bars for a long time, between 2-5 bars the individual bars don't last very long.
I have also seen 3 bars when Instart up, and once I start driving I have 4 for a while.

I tend to chicken out once I get to 1 bar so I usually fill up 9+ liters every time.

Ralph

I got 13.4 ltr in a wile back but it was missing when I accelerated it did about 50 miles with the light flashing
but don't think it would go much further.

Kiwi

First of all, don't worry about something you cannot change. More accurate readings will not allow you to travel further on a tank, or fit more fuel in the tank. This is probably just the difference between tank capacity (14L) and the usable tank capacity (around 13L). The fuel warning will come on before you run out of fuel (after about 10L), giving you a 2.5-3L reserve capacity. After you exhaust the reserve fuel, you will run out of gas (even though there is probably 0.5-1L of fuel at the bottom you cant use).

If your tank was completely empty, with not a drop inside, you could put 14L into it. This is not possible without depuddling (yes that's a real term!) because the usable capacity is only about 13L. This is because the pickup for the fuel feed is normally slightly above the bottom of the tank. This unusable fuel allows sediment and contaminants to fall to the bottom of the tank, and not be sucked into the engines fuel system.

Note: most of this is generic info, but is almost certainly applicable to the MT-07.

Noggie

This is because the pickup for the fuel feed is normally slightly above the bottom of the tank. This unusable fuel allows sediment and contaminants to fall to the bottom of the tank, and not be sucked into the engines fuel system.

Note: most of this is generic info, but is almost certainly applicable to the MT-07.
This is true.
I used to work as an aircraft Tech, and the intake was above the bottom of the tank.
Today fuel in our part of the world is clean so no problem with sediments, water was the main reason on the planes, a passenger airliner has a scavenge pump that will mix this bottom end fuel with the other fuel to get some of the water mixed in with the fuel, small drops dont matter.
every 48 hours a portion, i.e 30l is drained from each tank get the water out if the tank.
Many aircraft techs drive old diesel cars that are filled up with jet fuel for free.

Since our fuel is very clean I would not worry about having to completely empty it from time to time.

My concern is the the gauge reached "low level" very early, one bar when there is 6l left.
Yesterday I drove with a blinking last bar for 22km, and put in 11l, so I still had 2-3 liters to go, or 50-70km range to go.
This should indicate that I have 70-100km range once the indicator starts flashing.