radiator temperature

Livestrong

The temperature of my radiator (or engine temperature) goes pretty quick to 95°C, with quick I mean in about 3 minutes of riding gently.
Now, there is a fan behind the radiator that starts to turn when it reaches 105°C but isn't that to much?

I know in a car the fan starts turning on 95°C and stops at 85°C.

Is it possible to change that? And from which temperature could there be damage to the engine? I always panic when he reaches the 105°C.

thanks!

da1kini

The temperature of my radiator (or engine temperature) goes pretty quick to 95°C, with quick I mean in about 3 minutes of riding gently.
Now, there is a fan behind the radiator that starts to turn when it reaches 105°C but isn't that to much?

I know in a car the fan starts turning on 95°C and stops at 85°C.

Is it possible to change that? And from which temperature could there be damage to the engine? I always panic when he reaches the 105°C.

thanks!
Mine has reach 105 once and the fan kicked in but that was when idling in my garage for the heck of it. (sounds more cool to rev the trottle between 4 damped walls) I do not think you need to worry cause if the engine is getting to hot it is going to turn the engine lamp on I think?

P

Peter

The fan seems poor but it is effective.
It is 34 °C here. Good time to test it. Works fine, don't worry.

The cooling system is under pressure so the coolant won't boil at 100 °C.

Livestrong

Ok, so no panic :). I never paid attention to the temperature but I've demounted the radiator to paint in black with heat resistant paint and wanted to know if everything is still ok.

Ralph

If you have had the water out you often get a air lock under the thermostat so it gets
a little hotter than normal till it opens first time then the air is blown out and it settles down
recheck the level after it's cooled down.

AJ Nin

I wonder at what coolant temp the "HI" icon flashes? That might be good to know. I just never get enough info from manuals.

D

Deleted member 20

I guess at 117 or more since temp readout range is 40-116.

allyw71

I think you guys are getting yourselves worked up over nothing. Remember, this bike was developed and built in Japan, which doesn't have many native polar bears :eek:

cosmikdebriis

Painting the radiator may not be such a good idea. Sure matt black surfaces absorb and release heat better than silver(ish) surfaces, but if you have inadvertently clogged any of the airways by putting the paint on too thick then you will most certainly loose cooling.

AJ Nin

Some mechanic on an another forum pointed out that antifreeze does not cool as well as water, so one idea for summer riding is reduce the proportion of antifreeze to water. I am not recommending this of course, but if I had a bike that kept over-heating and I couldn't fix the problem, I would try that. I think you would want more antifreeze rather than water in cold weather...which probably wouldn't apply, cause who rides in -10 F weather?

Livestrong

This is my first motorcycle so maybe it's a mistake by spraying it black, I will see. I did it several times to my cars and never had problems but off course a motorcycle is not a car.
For now the basic temperature is ok, only when riding slowly, like getting him in the garage the temperature reaches above the 100°C

blueglue

Mines around 80-85 when riding and 100+ when in traffic. Dont worry those are normal.

I would have thought painting the radiator would make it less efficient?!?

D

Deleted member 20

Many bikes has black radiators, and many has unpainted, both work. Think Yamaha left it unpainted to save money. The engine is efficient, has few moving parts, low friction, consumes little fuel and isn't covered by plastic fairings. Can't see any reasons why the MT07 should have cooling issues regardless of radiator colour. Ride more, worry less.

Ralph

As Motorcycle riders we tend to be more involved with our bikes as opposed to car drivers
and likely worry more for no reason, I haven't got my 07 yet but going off my last 5 Japanese bikes
owned over 16 or so years and well over 100,000 miles the only non service items have been 1
chain and sprocket set that had done 22,000 miles a battery that had done 5 years that I
likely killed by leaving the lights on and tyres, they have been fault free, I don't see the 07 being
any different and I for one am just going to ride it, I just hope it arrives before the first week in Sept
as I have 2 trips to Scotland that should run it in nicely, if it does not show up then I will be going on
my 40 year old Moto Morini
I had one of the first SV's, Versys, and V-Strom's so a early 07 is'nt any worry.

Last edited:

Ralph

I've had more than my fare share of Brit Iron just
on with sorting a Vello out for someone now, fitted
one of those BTH electronic mags made it a very
good starter but I'm not happy with the carb, he's
off to the Manx on it soon so it needs sorting,