Rear Hugger Extender

Donut

Found this on ebay as I begrudge to pay so much for an after-market one and this will do exactly the same job.

Yamaha MT07 All Models Rear Hugger Mudguard Fender Extension Black | eBay

Has anyone brought one of these? and if so what's the verdict?

Ed
I had one, with the emphasis being HAD. I glued mine on, let it set for 2 or 3 days indoors (as it was February time) and all well for a couple of months and then one day I noticed it was no longer there.

If you get one make sure that you glue AND rivet it in place otherwise it'll just be a temporary hugger extender.

nobull

Found this on ebay as I begrudge to pay so much for an after-market one and this will do exactly the same job.

Yamaha MT07 All Models Rear Hugger Mudguard Fender Extension Black | eBay

Has anyone brought one of these? and if so what's the verdict?

Ed
Pleased with mine, still attached using less than half a tube of the adhesive 400miles in, I also let mine dry indoors for several days, be sure to remove the hugger before fitting extender, don't try to do it in situ or you'll end up with a mess.

Eddieh93

Ye I got it covered nobull thanks though.

I'll be using some strong 2 part glue and I'll get some pop rivets just to make sure.

Nuggets

Ye I got it covered nobull thanks though.

I'll be using some strong 2 part glue and I'll get some pop rivets just to make sure.
As I ever I think success is in the preparation when using adhesives/sealants, very rarely will the adhesive fail, it will be the bonding surfaces or their lack of prep.

My tips would be to take it off the bike, prep the huggers gluing surfaces by lightly sanding, then use denaturised alcohol or meths to clean both mating faces before applying the adhesive around the perimeter with a zig zag pattern in the middle to get good coverage, then you just clamp the buggers, and most importantly LEAVE THEM alone for at least 24 hours. Any tidying up can be done with a razor blade after the adhesive has cured.

I used evostick "sticks like sh*t" adhesive Evo-Stik 'Sticks Like Sh*t' Clear 290ml | Solvent-Free Adhesives | Screwfix.com

I have had no problems the hugger and have no need for rivets or two part adhesives, the evostick stuff is bloody strong, weather proof and is not a "rigid" adhesive like some two pack adhesives such as araldite (which I personally wouldn't consider using for this application).

I've ridden through rain and even a ford and it's still as well bonded as day one.

Last edited:

Eddieh93

Cheer Nuggets.

Think it would be easiest to take it off the bike and fit it like that.

Have you got any photo's of it installed Nuggets?

Donut

My tips would be to take it off the bike - yep, did that

prep the huggers gluing surfaces by lightly sanding - will try that

then use denaturised alcohol or meths to clean both mating faces before applying the adhesive around the perimeter with a zig zag pattern in the middle to get good coverage - yep did that

then you just clamp the buggers, and most importantly LEAVE THEM alone for at least 24 hours - yep, left mine 48 to 72 hours.

I used evostick "sticks like sh*t" adhesive Evo-Stik 'Sticks Like Sh*t' Clear 290ml | Solvent-Free Adhesives | Screwfix.com - that's the stuff I used too

I have had no problems the hugger and have no need for rivets or two part adhesives, the evostick stuff is bloody strong, weather proof and is not a "rigid" adhesive like some two pack adhesives such as araldite (which I personally wouldn't consider using for this application).

I've ridden through rain and even a ford and it's still as well bonded as day one.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the roads around me are rougher/bumpier but I'll be using the supplied adhesive and rivets next time as I've bought another one as I think they look better than a whole new hugger.

Eddieh93

Cheers Nuggets doesn't look too bad though it was going to look out of place, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Nuggets

I got it from ebay as the first order placed with pyramid was refunded due to out of stock, from Pyramid direct it was £35 from ebay around £32 including postage.

I like the plastic is very slightly different in finish but not offensively so.

Donut - I live in the fens, I think our council visit Afghanistan on a regular basis to pick up tips on how to improve the state of the roads!

When I clamped the two parts together I used a large clamp and some blocks of wood to really give it some welly in the middle section of the hugger because it was springing away a bit. I also ran a bead around the outside as well as up and down the middle to get a good coverage before bonding. I've checked it a few times now and no sign of debonding - pot luck perhaps?