Removing the akrapovic DB-killer

Donut

Please see attached picture of no damage to baffle.........excuse the slippers!

Years ago I had a VTR1000 Firestorm and on the list for that it was almost de-rigeur that any pic had to include slippers in it somewhere.

The bike has not yet been re-mapped or had a Power Commander fitted and the red line (on the dyno chart) was with the modified baffle which is an acceptable (to me) half-way house between needing ear plugs and thinking that I have a sewing machine with me.

I will get it re-mapped at some point but need to speak to Hilltop (Leicester) or Simon at S-Tec Newbury as I'd like to be able to switch between baffle in and out. Getting my 09 re-mapped at S-Tec in the morning (23rd April) so will speak to Simon then.

Also have a DNA filter and top to fit so will see how that goes when all fitted and mapped accordingly.

triple trouble

Years ago I had a VTR1000 Firestorm and on the list for that it was almost de-rigeur that any pic had to include slippers in it somewhere.

The bike has not yet been re-mapped or had a Power Commander fitted and the red line (on the dyno chart) was with the modified baffle which is an acceptable (to me) half-way house between needing ear plugs and thinking that I have a sewing machine with me.

I will get it re-mapped at some point but need to speak to Hilltop (Leicester) or Simon at S-Tec Newbury as I'd like to be able to switch between baffle in and out. Getting my 09 re-mapped at S-Tec in the morning (23rd April) so will speak to Simon then.

Also have a DNA filter and top to fit so will see how that goes when all fitted and mapped accordingly.
It's a shame I'm not about tomorrow or I would have meet you

starvinmrvn

Whew! I installed the Akrapovic last night. I severely underestimated how loud it was based on YT videos. Haha...this thing is L O U D. Love the sound though.

sash

I run the carbon fiber akra system, to remove the baffle iI simply used a broomstick. Stick it in the engine side end of the exhaust and just gently hit it on the ground....baffle pops out. no damage no drama... As i do get a lot of popping when I go off the gas the bike obviously runs very lean without the baffle in so I contacted akrapovich to ask if it might be too lean and actually cause damage to the bike over long term.....They said it should be fine...I decided to get a powercommander regardless, should be here next week... haha.

addy

I run the carbon fiber akra system, to remove the baffle iI simply used a broomstick. Stick it in the engine side end of the exhaust and just gently hit it on the ground....baffle pops out. no damage no drama... As i do get a lot of popping when I go off the gas the bike obviously runs very lean without the baffle in so I contacted akrapovich to ask if it might be too lean and actually cause damage to the bike over long term.....They said it should be fine...I decided to get a powercommander regardless, should be here next week... haha.
There's a guy on here that has been making a custom ecu flash for the bike, saying that with the standard ecu and carbon akra no baffle the bike loses quite a bit of power compared to baffle in.

http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-modifications/1635-mt07-amp-amp-amp-bike.html

JHTPPX

I am just about to pick up a 2017 model with a Acra euro 4 spot welded in baffle! Dose anybody know the exact location of this spot weld? Will be easy to drill with a spot weld drill once I find the spot and pull with a slide hammer internal bearing puller! Having used a EJK fuel controller on my crf250l with great success I intend to get one for the MT to sort any lean running problems! All help much appreciated!!!

JHTPPX

Now I have the bike I can see the location of this spot weld In the Acrapovic exhaust can! With a bit of carful measurement it should be not too difficult to remove the little bugger!!!!!

Lemmy

Bit late to this thread but ive just done the Akra mod and drilled 4 x 10mm holes into each of the inner baffle pipes just before the flange. The sound is definately louder/better than with the DB killer in but i still dont think its quite loud enough....? Can anyone tell me if theres a considerable difference between removing/cutting half the inner pipes out compared to the drilled holes method - i.e is it louder??

Affe

Seeing that a pic is worth a thousand words and all that here is what I've done:

Started with removing about 2 inches of internal pipe, then removed another half inch or so (no real difference between the 2 to be honest) to leave about 1 inch of internal pipe. As you can see from the pic I've mashed one of the external pipes a bit with grips to remove the db killer. The hole you can see is one I've drilled to re-secure the thing to make life easier.

View attachment 2236

Here's the db killer in place with a new hole on the outside of the exhaust:

View attachment 2237

And here it is with a bolt to secure it in place:

View attachment 2238

I now use a spring puller (easily and cheaply available from Ebay) to remove the db killer when I want to:

View attachment 2239

Like this, in case you're in any doubt:

View attachment 2240

As mentioned before though, unless you re-map to run without the db killer the engine will run very lean. Here's my dyno chart to show both the power / torque gain without the baffle (2 bhp / 1.4 Ft/lb) - and the air / fuel mix. With baffle about a perfect 13 to 1 but without a very lean 17 to 1 with a risk of damaging the engine.

View attachment 2241

I guess the MT-07 has more of a torque plateau than a torque curve.
Hello! A bit late to the discussion here. Hope someones still active ;)
Iam trying to see if the DBkiller mod can be done without a tune, it seems so on your dynorun. But why are both curves showong extremely high a/f ratios before 4k rpm? Is it that its ok as long as its in low rpms?