Removing the akrapovic DB-killer

Labrajo

Hello!

Anyone have any good tips on how to remove the Akrapovic DB-killer?? I've removed the screw that holds it in place, but it won't budge even when warmed up..

da1kini

Hello!

Anyone have any good tips on how to remove the Akrapovic DB-killer?? I've removed the screw that holds it in place, but it won't budge even when warmed up..
For what I have heard and watched on videos you need to take some sort of tool and grab it and drag real hard while you wiggle it. Which may result in damaging the DB-killer. Only cosmetic damage but still annoying. So try and live with it installed I think you will find the sound without it to much in the long run.

loneranger

exhaust needs to be cold as metal expands when warm. You have to get some pliers with a rag and pull and twist as best you can. Pretty crap and it will damage the pipes. I used a bit of wd40 sparyed also into edges, If you take it our the DB is way to heavy and loud. Ive put mine back in an dcut the pipes.[video=youtube;R9ydssH5qRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ydssH5qRk[/video]

Lex_Lee

exhaust needs to be cold as metal expands when warm. You have to get some pliers with a rag and pull and twist as best you can. Pretty crap and it will damage the pipes. I used a bit of wd40 sparyed also into edges, If you take it our the DB is way to heavy and loud. Ive put mine back in an dcut the pipes.[video=youtube;R9ydssH5qRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ydssH5qRk[/video]

Great video Loneranger, thanks for sharing!
I'm getting my MT07 delivered in a couple of weeks and will also go for the Akrapovic exhaust.
Love the sound of yours though... Without cutting the pipes is the sound a lot more quiet?

Haven't added any extras to my order at this point. Any that you would strongly recommend?

loneranger

with it out its crazy loud and shoots flames if you get the blip right. I ve order a new db killer and thers a thres on here somewhere. Best is to cut the inner pipes by 20 mm to remove the wider end pipe section. This is what sticks inside and prevents unit coming out. it will create amid sound also that way.

loneranger

alternative is to drill a hole in one of the back end pipes and use a steel rod with hook like bend to pull it out.

rappetor

If possible I'd use one of those 'spring pullers' (check link, that the correct english word?). Don't know if something like that is possible, but you can hook it in and try and tap it out a bit. Left side, right side, left side, right side. Just as long as it comes loose enough to pull out.
Did that with my previous two db-killers :) Those were a different shape though.. but worth a shot. So far it helped me out fine.

pgeldz

Ok, forgive me for asking such a rudimentary question, but after removing the screw that holds the DB Killer in place, what are you guys doing with it?

It's like a rubber end cap on the outside, with a nut on the inside right? Or is the DB Killer internally threaded so no nut is needed?

Either way, are people putting it back in, or are they just leaving the hole empty?

- Paulie

Last edited:

mellanslag

I was having tremendous trouble pulling the db-killer out when I installed my akra system. I pulled and pulled, I used pliers and rods and all kinds of stuff.

One thing did the trick where the other approaches just seemed to harm the unit though.

I took some groove-joint pliers (the important thing is that the pliers are at an angle, even 45 degrees should suffice). I then grabbed one of the small pipes of the db-killer with the pliers and hit the pliers with a rubber mallet in the outwards direction. It only took about 2-3 strikes to get it loose, and after a total of about 5 strikes it was totally off, with little to no damage to the db-killer.

I did this at first with some tissue paper between the pliers and the pipe, to reduce scratchingm, but that didnt work, it just slid out. Without the paper and a proper grip, it was super easy. Pulling simply does not work, this did.

mellanslag

Ok, forgive me for asking such a rudimentary question, but after removing the screw that holds the DB Killer in place, what are you guys doing with it?

It's like a rubber end cap on the outside, with a nut on the inside right? Or is the DB Killer internally threaded so no nut is needed?

Either way, are people putting it back in, or are they just leaving the hole empty?

- Paulie
I actually just keep the screw and the grommet with the db-killer, so I know where it is if I want to put it back.
The db-killer has a nut welded in place, so it has its own threads. The tailpipe is not threaded, so if you want to put the screw back in, you'd have to insert your own nut, and that just seems like extra work for no reason to me.

pgeldz

I actually just keep the screw and the grommet with the db-killer, so I know where it is if I want to put it back.
The db-killer has a nut welded in place, so it has its own threads. The tailpipe is not threaded, so if you want to put the screw back in, you'd have to insert your own nut, and that just seems like extra work for no reason to me.
Ok, perfect. So you just leave the little hole exposed. You think that messes with the sound at all? I was thinking of leaving the rubber grommet in place, but I figured the pressure from the exhaust gasses would pop it out and then if I ever wanted to use the DB Killer I'd have to order a new grommet.

Looks like I'll leave the hole exposed then...thanks for the info!

- Paulie

Sivvo73

And waaaay to loud once it's out, I ran the bike for a day , trying to convince myself it was ok, but arriving home at 9pm one night I almost felt like I should be turning the engine off and coasting in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sivvo73

I ended up modifying my dbk and refitting , have the perfect balance now , volume in between dbk in and out ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408428713.344111.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408428736.842045.jpg

mellanslag

I ended up modifying my dbk and refitting , have the perfect balance now , volume in between dbk in and out

Ya, it is LOUD. I've used my bike two times since I installed akra without db killer, and I think I might have lost a bit of hearing. Gonna try out your level of modification.

mellanslag

Ok, perfect. So you just leave the little hole exposed. You think that messes with the sound at all? I was thinking of leaving the rubber grommet in place, but I figured the pressure from the exhaust gasses would pop it out and then if I ever wanted to use the DB Killer I'd have to order a new grommet.

Looks like I'll leave the hole exposed then...thanks for the info!

- Paulie
That hole is so small compared to the outlet, it makes zero difference. And its on the inside of the unit, so it wont show either.

Sivvo73

The hole where the Allan bolt holds the dbk in place is on the outside of the dbk casing, the two external pipes will pass this point meaning rubber grommet or not that hole will have no effect on noise lvls / tones or notes. For ease I took the advice of an earlier post and re-drilled that hole in a more accessible area nearer the front , meaning if needed I can remove the dbk without having to remove the exhaust.

Sivvo73

Ya, it is LOUD. I've used my bike two times since I installed akra without db killer, and I think I might have lost a bit of hearing. Gonna try out your level of modification.
Mellanslag, the note changes slightly , by the number of holes you drill the position of the holes and the diameter of hole you make. My advice start with one small hole? Run the engine test the sound. Then repeat until you have the volume you like... I have to be honest I didn't notice a particular note change just a steady increase in volume with each hole.... You also inherit a nice BBBRRAappp deep rasp , similar to without the dbk but only noticeable 5-6k revs plus. Personally I love it, quiet when I need it to be but a nice growl on demand [emoji106]

Sivvo73

And let's be honest a small holes can be reversed should you not like it.. Cutting the internal pipes off completely scared me silly so avoided that option