Removing the akrapovic DB-killer

loneranger

ive got a replacement dbkiller now from akra. Just cut the inner pipes by half length to get rid of the wider section of pipe. Two benefits.

1. Makes the sound perfect level
2. You can easily remove the dbkiller then when you want as it now will slide out easy, as the wider ends have been cut off and these are the bits that get stuck.

Believe me I have tried all options and being my second db killer, I have settled for this option. DO not cut the outer pipes, as this makes no difference!!!!!

Sivvo73

How much did the replacement cost loneranger ?
Cutting the external pipes for me was purely cosmetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loneranger

£45 quid from Yamaha dealer. I took out the dbkiller a few days ago and it slid out pretty easy after removing the bolt. I use a small mirror to view the position of the thread when replacing the dbkiller to line up the bolt. PHEW I am glad I got this sorted, caused nothing but hassle when I first got the bike fitted with akra. Surely akra should have designed this with riders like us in mind. The ones that want to play all the time. LOL

BrianSPC

Can you post a picture of the new optimal DB killer ? and how long is the inner pipes now ? in centimeters if possible.

dazzor

ive got a replacement dbkiller now from akra. Just cut the inner pipes by half length to get rid of the wider section of pipe. Two benefits.

1. Makes the sound perfect level
2. You can easily remove the dbkiller then when you want as it now will slide out easy, as the wider ends have been cut off and these are the bits that get stuck.

Believe me I have tried all options and being my second db killer, I have settled for this option. DO not cut the outer pipes, as this makes no difference!!!!!
Can you post a picture of the new optimal DB killer ? and how long is the inner pipes now ? in centimeters if possible.
Not sure which system I'll end up with but this DB-killer mod sounds like the best option.....so, Loneranger......Just reduce inner pipe-length by 50%, correct?

Thanks

D

loneranger

yes just cut half off the inner pipes. I can slide in and out now when i want to switch to loud mode for a country ride. my mates at Yamaha also have done the same. They know as they are all dealers at Yamaha.

def

dont know if its true but i spoke to the company where i bought my MT about acra and mapping. and accoring to them u have to program the bike for more fuel if u go without the dbkiller since it will be able to spit out more exaust and due to that suck in more air. and ofc u should get some HP increase. but if u do not change the mapping and only remove the dbkiller u might damage ur engine due to lean mixture.
and if u do the mapping stuff the yamaha warranty is no longer approved, and i guess the same goes if u only remove the bdkiller and also guess they can tell if u have been running without ut.

da1kini

dont know if its true but i spoke to the company where i bought my MT about acra and mapping. and accoring to them u have to program the bike for more fuel if u go without the dbkiller since it will be able to spit out more exaust and due to that suck in more air. and ofc u should get some HP increase. but if u do not change the mapping and only remove the dbkiller u might damage ur engine due to lean mixture.
and if u do the mapping stuff the yamaha warranty is no longer approved, and i guess the same goes if u only remove the bdkiller and also guess they can tell if u have been running without ut.
Is the warranty even affected if you change to lets say Arrow-, IXIL system?

dazzor

Is the warranty even affected if you change to lets say Arrow-, IXIL system?
Spoke to my dealer about the warranty remaining intact regarding alternative exhaust systems......

Not sure but I think the upshot boils down to the attitude of individual dealers....to a certain degree. Mine said all is well as long as they order the parts and fit them.

I'm sure my dealer will just be happy to enjoy a margin on the labour and supply the exhaust at cost.

This is how I'm playing it; South East England, UK.

Hope this helps

Darren

BrianSPC

Ok, but I have cut my db killer to much, and now I am going to put som new inner pipes on, but I dont know how long I should make them, can you meassure yours ? mine is right now 4.5 cm, and its too loud and dont like the way it sounds, its not deep anymore.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95766845/IMG_0867.JPG

yes just cut half off the inner pipes. I can slide in and out now when i want to switch to loud mode for a country ride. my mates at Yamaha also have done the same. They know as they are all dealers at Yamaha.

Last edited:

Larskiainen

When removing the db-killer does it require to take off the silencer? I've tried pulling it the best I can but it just doesn't come off.

The best motorcyclist is the living one.

BrianSPC

Only remove the 1 bolt that hold the dB killer, and then you can pull it out. The bolt is on the side between the exhaus pipe and the reartyre, I think its a 5mm umbraco head. Its not easy because of the lack of space.

Larskiainen

Only remove the 1 bolt that hold the dB killer, and then you can pull it out. The bolt is on the side between the exhaus pipe and the reartyre, I think its a 5mm umbraco head. Its not easy because of the lack of space.

Yeah.. I forget to mention that bolt has been removed weeks ago. I have been busy but now i got time to my bike again. And yes I have driven without that screw because the db-killer simply just doesn't come off. Even at the first service we tried to take it off.

The best motorcyclist is the living one.

KennyNorge

After riding 5100km with Akrapovic and Db-killer installed I decided to get some more sound.
The Akrapovic without db-killer is way to loud for my taste after 5min.
And this year sound pollution is HIGH priority for the police and the puplic roads administration, so got to keep the sound reasonable ;-)

Thank you all for sharing your methods :)
Looket at all your tips and went for the hole drilling. Starting with four 6,5mm holes and maybe adding more after giving it a good test :)

Had a quick spinn, sounds deeper on idle and more agressive with blips of the throttle. Don't notice big difference while riding, but got to give it some more time :) My wife have kept here Akrapovic orginal, so will test the bikes side by side tomorrow :)

Hammerian

Hi

Shouldn't it be the other end of the 2x pipes you should be drilling? (angled end).

Others i have seen have drilled that end for it to make a difference.

Ian

KennyNorge

Hi

Shouldn't it be the other end of the 2x pipes you should be drilling? (angled end).

Others i have seen have drilled that end for it to make a difference.

Ian
I started where you mean, but looked twice on a photo of someone else that had done it and changed it the same way as he had done. But still, I got good results :) but if I add more holes I can put them where you suggest :) then I will have both places :)

Sorry, my mistake.. do you mean on the outside pipes? The one you can see looking at the bike?
In that case I think it would be better on the innside like I have done now.

Last edited:

KennyNorge

I started where you mean, but looked twice on a photo of someone else that had done it and changed it the same way as he had done. But still, I got good results :) but if I add more holes I can put them where you suggest :) then I will have both places :)
Sorry, my mistake.. do you mean on the outside pipes? The one you can see looking at the bike?
In that case I think it would be better on the innside like I have done now.

Donut

When my db killer was first removed it was easier to do by removing the exhaust and pushing it out rather than pulling it out.

I have now cut most of the inner tubes away (in stages - with no discernable difference between removing the fat parts and now just leaving about 1cm) and have drilled a hole in both the pipe and db killer roughly opposite the original to make removal and replacement an easy 2 minute job and have re-secured using an allen bolt/nut with a spring washer to secure in place.

Noggie

so how much difference does this make.
I find the Akra to be ok, perhaps a little on the quiet side, but pretty good for those longer trips.

Any videos that show the difference between modded and non modded DB killer?

I guess I could make a compare with KennyNorge, after all he lives about 5 minutes away from me :)