"Restricted"MT-07

Chillipom

The good news is the MT-07 has finally been released in Australia. Literally first bikes in showrooms today.
The bad news is, that due to some unique Australian licensing laws, it's been downsized to 655cc (2mm bore reduction) and power restricted for learner use to 35 KW @8000rpm.

There is no news on full power versions but it looks unlikely as there's a huge 650cc learner market here and next to none for experienced riders who tend to " go big"

So, I have a question. Does anyone have any details of the restrictor kit used in the UK (Europe) to meet A2 restrictions. I'm figuring the same approach is probably being taken here and, even though it's heavily frowned upon to "de-restrict" even if you have a full licence, would be very interested to know what's involved?

Australia has restricted ER-6, Gladius and Yam XJ6 too. They are usually a combination of mechanical throttle limiters and/or CDI rev limiters, often using external jump wires.

Everything I've read about the MT-07 sounds fantastic and it'd be great to think we could have the same fun down here.

Thanks in advance,

Chillipom

Alex_AC

Hi!

At least in Spain they limit the throttle through a small metallic card (sorry for the awful description). It's quite easy to remove it with an allen key and keep the seal attached to the bike using a cable tie.

Last edited:

Chillipom

Hi!

At least in Spain they limit the throttle through a small metallic card (sorry for the awful description). It's quite easy to remove it with an allen key and keep the seal attached to the bike using a cable tie.
Thanks Alex, that's a good start

Sudgolf

The good news is the MT-07 has finally been released in Australia. Literally first bikes in showrooms today.
The bad news is, that due to some unique Australian licensing laws, it's been downsized to 655cc (2mm bore reduction) and power restricted for learner use to 35 KW @8000rpm.

There is no news on full power versions but it looks unlikely as there's a huge 650cc learner market here and next to none for experienced riders who tend to " go big"

So, I have a question. Does anyone have any details of the restrictor kit used in the UK (Europe) to meet A2 restrictions. I'm figuring the same approach is probably being taken here and, even though it's heavily frowned upon to "de-restrict" even if you have a full licence, would be very interested to know what's involved?

Australia has restricted ER-6, Gladius and Yam XJ6 too. They are usually a combination of mechanical throttle limiters and/or CDI rev limiters, often using external jump wires.

Everything I've read about the MT-07 sounds fantastic and it'd be great to think we could have the same fun down here.

Thanks in advance,

Chillipom
My MT-07 is restricted. You would never really know the difference. As its a mechanical restriction, it just stops the throttle cable by a few centimetres. Being the engine it is, the power comes from the low end which the restriction doesn't affect in the slightest. The only time ive wanted more power is when ive been cruising on the motorway or a fast dual-carriage way and wanted to overtake a few cars. The overtake is perfectly fine as you have the power, it just takes a bit longer to get there.

Ive had a tonne out of it on a private road and it still had some to give.

The only downside is that you cant take it on a track-day as its restricted :(

Hope this helps.

Chillipom

Thanks Sudgolf. I test rode a restricted version and agree with your comments. I know that Yamaha use throttle restriction on Xj6's here in Australia but was wondering if the max power quoted at 8000 rpm rather than 9000rpm on the full power version indicated an electronic rev limit on the ignition system.

Be please to hear anyone else's thoughts!

goloso_b

I have an unrestricted MT07, but I tested a 35kW unit before buying mine. There is very little difference between them in real world use.

Chillipom

Thanks goloso. That seems to be the general opinion. Maybe I don't need to worry about de restriction for normal road use

Chillipom

Still keen to understand the whole restriction thing. Attached photos of Throttle range and throttle grip range. Can anyone give a comparison with full power version?
throttle closed.jpg throtle open.jpgthrotle grip closed.jpgthrottle grip open.jpg
Closed - Fully open - Closed - Fully open

Chillipom

Hey Guys, Can someone please post a photo of Full Powered and/or A2 restricted throttle for comparison with above.

Chillipom

Thanks goloso and Nuggets. You've confirmed what I thought, that my restricted throttle is limited to a 45 degree rotation. Very helpful.

Huckinnz

Hi Chillipom, reading this with interest as test rode the Aussie MT and found it lacking. Have you compared part numbers on the ecu etc just to see if Yamaha hasn't neutered the electronics as well? Might be time I paid Yamaha World down here in Adelaide a call for some part details. Pete

Chillipom

Had quick poke around underneath both the seats but haven't been able to locate the ecu yet. Maybe under tank cowling. Anyone any ideas?

tw586

I picked up my MT07 two weeks ago Im an older rider with 20yrs riding under my belt and find it has all the power it needs, Just a thought, the engine is restricted to 38kw at 8000 rpm yet in the first 4 gears it will run out to 10k easily, In europe it is speed limited to 200kph which is around 8150 in sixth. also torque is the same for Aust and the rest of the world. so by reducing the bore by 2mm brings the bike in under the 660cc limit. I think we are not missing out on much, I will be looking closely at my throttle linkage and also the butterfly angle as well,

adm

Hey chillipom and huckinnz keep us informed if you find any more info on how the bike is restricted. Im also interested to know if its a mechanical restriction or in the ECU.
Im guessing by the bore being reduced we won't be able to get the same power as the unrestricted bike but i think there is a lot more power to be had.

Huckinnz

Speculation and economics would suggest Yamaha will have done as little as possible to maintain their cost structure. This logically will mean they have reduced bore size to meet the Australian and New Zealand LAMS capacity limit and then use already developed mechanical restrictions from other markets i.e throttle as with XJ6/FZ6R to achieve power limits. Ask anyone who punches out the bore of any engine whether a 5% capacity increase does anything noticeable to power output and you will know that we have lost nothing by the capacity loss. I reckon the plan would be to identify throttle parts different to restricted and unrestricted and sus out price and availability to replace. I haven't definitely decided to purchase the 07 so this falls on our present victims I mean owners to be the Guinea pigs. Pete