"Restricted"MT-07

tw586

Im currently looking at TPS and throttle angles and if the ECU recognizes a higher TPS voltage, as i understand with the FZ6R if u de-restrict the throttle the engine ecu runs lean at wide open throttle. This will burn out valves and blue your exhaust (first sign of high combustion temps) Kawasaki have throttle limiters as well as a ECU restriction link that must be removed, I would suspect the ECU has a limited program. after my first service I am going to remove the airbox and measure angles and voltages as well as look at the fuel maps. if I can gain assess through the Diag link. has any one a pin out for the Diag link as I have a universal CAN BUS reader to look at programmes.

Huckinnz

Excellent. I have found US market part numbers for throttle and ecu components. Hope to get Aussie numbers Thursday. Pete

Huckinnz

I think you mean tw586 for his TPS/CAN bus approach. Hey tw586, first I have heard about the FZ stuff, do you have a link to that info? On another note bike shop doesn't have parts listing for Aussie market yet, hopes to have it by next week. Anyone out there have a UK EU market part list I can have? Pete

Chillipom

You're right Pete, tw586 is the smart one. I have discovered that after market restrictor kit available in UK is a throttle restrictor plate that happen to limit power to 35KW so I'm still anticipating that its not a complex mod but only time will tell.

tw586

Most of the info is from my personal experience with bikes and My job, when I have a full and correct set of data that I can use I will modify, dyno and publish it here. I dont want to give anyone the wrong info and do damage to there bike. I am also looking at modifying the standard exhaust to maintain std look but raise performance and improve sound levels. I will keep you all posted.
PS I am developing a template for the throttle cable retainer, I also am toying with the idea of a small bikini type faring to re position the cluster above and in front of the ignition.

tw586

Great work Pete. Your understanding of these things obviously surpasses mine. Keep us informed
I have aussie ecu part number refer to my other post RE ecu part numbers I think ours is different as it has a 30 suffix after the generic ecu number.
Im at the dealer all day tomorrow and hope to suck as much info from then while I have My first service, mostly looking at the diag tools and control language used
i will update as soon a practical

EyalKadosh

Im currently looking at TPS and throttle angles and if the ECU recognizes a higher TPS voltage, as i understand with the FZ6R if u de-restrict the throttle the engine ecu runs lean at wide open throttle. This will burn out valves and blue your exhaust (first sign of high combustion temps) Kawasaki have throttle limiters as well as a ECU restriction link that must be removed, I would suspect the ECU has a limited program. after my first service I am going to remove the airbox and measure angles and voltages as well as look at the fuel maps. if I can gain assess through the Diag link. has any one a pin out for the Diag link as I have a universal CAN BUS reader to look at programmes.
Hi tw,

Can you please elaborate on the above?
I absolutely don't have any technical background, but from what I understood from the above, is that if one will remove the physical throttle restriction (that metal plate) without replacing the ECU of the bike, it will cause permanent damage to the valves and the exhaust?

Since there are no aftermarket ECU's for this bike as it's new, from where it's possible to buy such ECU that is not restricted? do you know what would be the price for such ECU?

tw586

so far my research has come up with zip re de-restricting the 07, My ecu is programmed to 50 HP so the only option it to replace with a new ecu and remove the throttle restriction. My dealer has mentioned I can have my ecu reprogrammed but the cost is about the sames as a new ecu, having said that, the bike is great at 50hp so for now Im leaving it stock. Just going to replace the exhaust and open up the air box intake, I will post pics and instruction when i do so

Huckinnz

So to recap, throttle quadrant (pulley) is different to prevent wide open throttle. Did the output voltage of the TPS differ from a stock full power bike at WOT? How did you come to the conclusion that the ECU was "programmed" to 50hp and what is your ECU part number?

tw586

looking at tps voltage with and without throttle limiting stop. if the ecu see,s a tps voltage above programmed it will go into limp mode and severely limit performance, This information was obtained from a yamaha mech. Australian ecu has a different part number 1WS - 8591A - 30. Europe is 1WS - 8591A - 00, My dealer can provide a reflash to the full spec or i can by a new ecu.

Parsons5000

Hey tw596 do u just get the ecu remapped to the full version mt07 or did the tech say the throttle also has to be modified ?

EyalKadosh

Someone here could give even a rough estimation on how much an unrestricted ECU might cost?
Can I just go to the Yamaha dealer directly, and ask for an ECU of the full power MT-07 model?

tw586

still waiting on firm prices, for both, only two dealers in australia can do the reflash, one in WA and on two wheels in campbelltown sydney, as to getting a de restricted ECU it will have to come from europe or the states, might be better waiting untill some one like powercomanders starts selling ecus for MT07's

Huckinnz

Tw586, can you tell me whether the tps voltage you measured was above specifications after you opened throttle past the restricted stop point ie was the restricted stop point a lower voltage than wide open throttle WOT of an unrestricted mt07? Thanks Pete

Chillipom

I'm probably in denial, but despite all tw586's research regarding ecu's, etc I can't understand why Yamaha would go to the trouble (& expense) of fitting mechanical & electrical restriction. Particularly considering
- same restriction is achieved for A2 European licence by fitting of same throttle restriction fitted to OZ, and
- other restricted Oz Yams have had throttle restriction only (XJ6 L, I was "told" by dealer)

Could there be another explanation for the different ecu part number from and30ers?

Perhaps I'm holding on to a glimmer of hope that it's not that complicated! Comments?

tw586

XJ6L and FZ6R also have different ecu's which is why i didnot like them. The MT has so much more torque than the 4's i dont really miss the extra power.
for info the MT07 was re engineered for aust with a 2mm bore reduction and (unconfirmed) different cams. this was to maintain its torque characteristics while still getting in under the 130kw/tonne. It seems that this new engine / frame configuration is and will be the basis for a whole new range of LAMs approved bikes in aust with the first being a replacement for the ageing FZ6R.