"Restricted"MT-07

wirld

THROTTLE RESTRICTION ISSUE SOLVED!!!

OK everyone listen up. I just removed my throttle restrictor, and have had a large increase in horsepower. Today I asked the dealer about the viablity of modifying the restrictor plate (e.g. cutting of the arm which limits throttle range). The important information is below.

*My bike was bought new in New Zealand (I believe it is the exact same model as the Australian version). This is the 655cc LAMS edition.
*I have not touched my ECU in any way. I am still restricted to about 8000rpm in 5th gear, but I haven't tested 6th (presumably the same).
*Importing an ECU from an overseas version of the bike is not an option, because of the different diplacement. I would advise against trying this one.
*I can refit the original restrictor prior to returning the bike, in the event I need to claim anything under warranty (dealers recommendation - what a champ!).
*The bike is otherwise stock - for now.

The dealer offered me a modified throttle stop, after I asked him about the possibility to cut the original stop back down to normal size. He told me that the ECU will not go into "limp mode" when it sees WOT (as opposed to its previous approx. 70% throttle). I have since proved this by fitting and testing the unrestricted throttle stop. This means that you don't have to re-flash your ECU, as the fuel maps are already programmed.

The power increase is substantial. Although I have no plans to put the bike on a dyno, it's plausible that I've moved from 50hp to 62-65hp. Peak fuel consumption previously(at WOT) was 11.7L/100km, but now its 14.7L/100k. That's a 25% increase in fuel consumption, which is loosely indicative of horsepower power made. For those that aren't too knowledgeable in this area (I'm no expert either), fuel economy is unaffected by this modification. The change is only apparent when you open the throttle past 70%, where the engine can get more air/fuel. If you spend a lot of time at WOT your fuel economy will suffer drastically. If not, it's just for a few seconds you'll use lots more fuel, and make lots more power.

I'll post some pictures soon. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help...
Hi Mate,
I'm in Aucks - also keen to find out where you got the modified throttle stop from?
The guys at Red Baron (where I bought the bike) mentioned something about it - maybe this is what they were referring to?
Cheers
Grant

Eddieh93

SO English version is just a L shaped bracket that is held in by 2 allen key screws.

Once removed a couple of washers are required to secure the base bracket back in place.

May I say its a completely different bike! I have reinstalled the bracket this was just a test to see what its like.

Last edited:

sdrio

OK, obligatory post here - I'm assuming Eddie you've reached the point you don't have to be restricted any more, so this isn't aimed at you.

Goes without saying, in the UK if your licence requires a restricted bike, removing those restrictions, (and getting caught) would certainly risk being done for driving otherwise than in accordance with your licence, That's 3 - 6 points, plus a walk home and a fine.

It would also invalidate your insurance, so although the bike will be faster, it's probably best not to go too mad as an accident will be very expensive indeed. You'd of course get another handful of points for that, so the bike being busted wouldn't be too much of a problem, you'd be on a ban for a while anyway.

I'm guessing this applies in other countries.

Eddieh93

It was a test and have put it back in like you said I don't want to risk my license.

Was just a test really.

y2grogory

Hi

I have a 2017 UK spec MT07 Moto cage, it's currently restricted. Is there a definitive answer to what I need to do to get my particular bike upto full power?

I've read all the forums I can but just don't know which combination of restrictions are on my bike, be it hand throttle, the "L" bracket, air flow or ecu?

Any help will be great. Also I'm 33 and have a full licence.