Rust

spencer

Thought I would wash the bike today after a week of riding in this lovely British weather and found rust on the swing arm really pissed bikes only 2 weeks old :( has anyone having the same problem? will post pic when I get five.

Ralph

Only rust on mine is were there are two sharp edges on the side stand bracket just 2 very fine
lines of slight rust likely were I catch it when putting the stand down, I do agree though the swinging
arm looks naff, put together in a 3rd world sweat shop.

spencer

Going to have a moan about it next week when I take it back for it first service. You say low budget I would agree but it shouldn't be rusting after 2 weeks
20150222_144315.jpg

Ralph

No definite complain, a car driver would not put up with it so why should a motorcyclist.
there looks to be a bit of oxidisation on the chain adjuster and abs mounting bolt.

nobull

Looks like the slag from weld wasn't removed prior to painting, & now its been ridden vibrations prob loosened it taking the paint with it. Getting mine on Sunday, will be checking it carefully! Let us know what Yamaha say!

Tommeke

Mine doesn't have rust on the swing arm. But I'm pretty sure you're dealer will laugh it away. Like I said earlier it's a crappy bike, butt everyone will tell you, you get what you pay for. I know that that's bs butt you'll see ...

spencer

Ya your probably right about them laughing it off but I will have moan and you never know they might give me some freebies. looks like I am going to have to get the gsxr out again and wrap this one up in cotton wool until the dryer weather comes lolol

Ralph

Can you post pictures Ralph? I am curious.Thanks

If you mean the side stand on mine I put some oil on it and gave it a wipe now you cant see it,
If you mean the oxidisation I was on about I was talking about the ones in the pic of the swinging arm
above my post I should have worded it differently.

MrSquidbeak

I have the same issue. I have rust on both brake discs, exhaust, and chain!
I was hoping to get more use out of it before getting problems like this. Collected mine in January and going for the first service next week. I will be bringing this issue up with the dealer but dont think they will do much. As said above cheap parts on a cheap bike. But i do love the MT07 and the ride is super. Just a shame the the parts are cheap

sven11

I do not see any reason we should put up with rusting parts. Simply leave it for replacement and that is it. Dealer can only benefit because they can charge it to yamaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralph

For what it's worth it seems to be better than my last 2 Suzuki's and a Kawasaki.
modern bikes are not up to the UK winters

Torque

Looking at the various rust issues and responses posted in this thread it is looking as though the appearance of rust could be highly dependent on how the bike is cleaned. I might be making some contentious statements, but here goes:

The MT-07 requires much more thorough and frequent cleaning/protection than other bikes due to low quality finishes. For example I could get away with quite sporadic cleaning of my CBR600 throughout winter and it still came up shiny, fur-free and rust-free. Not so with the MT-07, at the moment I am cleaning it after every ride using a cold wash followed by a spraying of Scottoiler F365. This, at the moment, seems to be keeping the bike shiny and rust-free. I daren't even leave it overnight before a clean!

I'm not a believer in using ACF50. Not because I don't think it can protect against salt and corrosion, but because I think it is easy to spray it on and think your whole bike is going to be protected throughout winter. What if you didn't cover all areas adequately? At the end of winter when you clean all the muck off you may find corrosion in these areas hidden all winter by the muck you thought was sitting on top on the ACF50. Also what about the brake disc bobbins - these seem one of the worst targets for rust yet are not safe to spray with ACF50.

I thought SDoc100 would be a good treatment for cleaning the MT-07, but I've found that the quality of finish of some parts of the MT-07 is so poor that even this eats into the finish after only 5 minutes of application. Notably the 2 water pipes on the RHS of the bike (see http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-modifications/532-chroming-front-water-pipes.html#post10332 which I thought was salt but I've now proved it was actually the SDoc100 eating into the paint).

So it may be a lot of work and associated paranoia, but at the moment I'm spending an hour after every ride cleaning my MT-07 in an attempt to keep it looking good all year round. Personally I would have paid another £500-£1000ish for Yamaha to improve the durability of this bike.