SC Project Exhaust fitted

BGL

Hi Torque,

Fitted mine last week, and without washers my clearance is very similar to yours (perhaps even a little less). I have been riding the bike for a couple of hundred km since then, without any kind of problems. So even if it seems that the exhaust is very close to the swing arm, it haven´t caused any problems at all.

PS: VERY nice sound indeed :)

Torque

DeadHead, it looks like your silencer is positioned in such a way that the swing arm could theoretically travel up and down any amount without restriction. Mine, however, is very slightly under the swing arm at its wide point where the carbon cap meets the silencer body. This is not a problem when the rear shock is under normal compression due to the weight of the bike, but I'd worry if I ever put the bike on a rear stand.

Could you confirm whether you have this slight overlap like me or whether yours is completely clear. Thanks for your time and also thank you BGL for replying.

D

Deleted member 20

Me guessing here:
I assume the position of the end cap can be altered by the way you position the downpipes and midpipe assembly. Since it's a 4-piece kit, the slightest variation up front will result in the same variation at the end cap. The rear mounting point is just in the middle of the downpipe joint and the end cap. Key might be to loosen and reposition the down pipes 1 degree.

DeadHead

DeadHead, it looks like your silencer is positioned in such a way that the swing arm could theoretically travel up and down any amount without restriction. Mine, however, is very slightly under the swing arm at its wide point where the carbon cap meets the silencer body. This is not a problem when the rear shock is under normal compression due to the weight of the bike, but I'd worry if I ever put the bike on a rear stand.

Could you confirm whether you have this slight overlap like me or whether yours is completely clear. Thanks for your time and also thank you BGL for replying.
I'll try and take another picture for you this time looking down over the the pipe to give you a better view.
If I hear from my dealers tomorrow I might not have the bike to take the picture for you as it's going in for part exchange.

and30ers might have a very valid point, one definitely worth looking at

DeadHead

It's pitch black outside but rather than forget I took the picture for you..just in case I get the call tomorrow.

I put the bike on a paddock stand to show you the gap.

The gap showing in your image, is that the maximum gap whatever angle to take it from?

Torque

Thanks DeadHead and and30ers, as per your suggestions I'm going to remove and re-assemble the system tomorrow. I'll be sure to post the results here.

rappetor

I had to make a little spacer to get more room at the mounting bracket. Otherwise mine would also hit the swingarm. So I had the same problem you have.

I think it has to do with where they weld the mounting bracket on the exhaust. If that is slightly off, the exhaust gets too close to the swingarm (because of the curve at the end). With me changing stuff at the front did almost nothing in gaining more room at the back (which seems logical, because when you torque everything up at the mounting bracket it's two flat surfaces pushed together, it can only rotate a bit in the other direction but that did nothing for me).

Something came loose in my exhaust btw, see:
MT-07_SC-Project_Object.jpg

Now they send me a new silencer. Great service if you ask me! Wonder if the new exhaust fits better than this one as well :)

Last edited:

Torque

Hi Rappetor,

Thanks for your reply. Well I've fiddled with the headers and 2-1 section all morning and it's only gained me about 2mm difference at the silencer/swing arm, not a lot really but better than nothing :)

As far as I'm concerned it's now physically impossible to gain any more 'gap'. I agree about the flat surfaces that mate when the silencer is torqued up, short of bending something it will not go any other way!

I have inserted 4 M8 washers between the silencer bracket and bike which moves the silencer out a further 5mm to give it adequate clearance, but yesterday I emailed photos to SC and they said they would send me a spacer so that's good news.

They make these exhausts to order so I too wonder if there is a variation in the weld position. The good news is that it's on and it works! The sound is crazy good (even with the baffle in) and I'm sure the bike feels lighter and handles better.

Rappetor, I'd be interested in your comparison of the position of the new silencer versus the old silencer.

BGL

Hi again Torque,

Please let me know if the spacer from SC does the job - in that case I will ask them to send one for me also :).

Thanks in advance,

Torque

I'm expecting it to be just a standard M8 spacer like you can get off eBay. But it's still good to get it for free from SC. I'll definitely let you know.

rappetor

Rappetor, I'd be interested in your comparison of the position of the new silencer versus the old silencer.
Will do! The new one should be on it's way, but no idea when it will arrive. SC-Project will also take care of the shipment of the old silencer back to them, so perhaps they combine the two. Wasn't that clear in the e-mail, but I'll just wait and see :)

Torque

Ok, so I'm also impressed with SC Project. I emailed them on Thursday about the clearance issue, and today I received the spacer as promised. Read the description above each photo for more information...

They actually sent me 2 spacers complete with individual bolt, cup, washer and nut assemblies. The 2 spacers have a width of 10mm and 15mm. I only needed to use the 10mm one.

IMG_0490.jpg

They even sent a revised drawing in case I got stuck, lol.

IMG_0486.jpg

Here's the spacer inserted into the mounting assembly.

IMG_0491.jpg

Finally here's the resulting clearance between the silencer and the swing arm, perfect :D and well done SC Project.

IMG_0492.jpg

BGL

I must say that I´m also very impressed with the service from SC-Project.
I sent them an email earlier today, explaining my problem with the clearance (or lack of clearance), and just an hour later they had already sent me an email asking for my shipping details so they could send me the spacers.
So in this case it is not only the main product (the exhaust) that is of excelent quality, but also the service provided from their support.
Bravo SC-Project.

rappetor

I received the replacement silencer quite fast from SC-Project. Unfortunately the Y piece (collector) and silencer does not fit (the end of the silencer is not perfectly round, so impossible to slide the two together).
Bit of a bummer.. now I have to send the two faulty silencers ánd the Y piece back to SC-Project and they are going to have a look at it (or fix it, whatever). At least they are paying for the return shipment, that's positive. Downside is that I cannot ride the bike for a while now..

So it started off really well, received the replacement silencer even before I had to return the other one. Now it's kinda crappy because I need the bike to commute, and we finally have some nice weather around here. Ofcourse I sold the original exhaust because I got myself another one.. argh!

to be continued,,

rappetor

I received the replacement silencer quite fast from SC-Project. Unfortunately the Y piece (collector) and silencer does not fit (the end of the silencer is not perfectly round, so impossible to slide the two together).
Bit of a bummer.. now I have to send the two faulty silencers ánd the Y piece back to SC-Project and they are going to have a look at it (or fix it, whatever). At least they are paying for the return shipment, that's positive. Downside is that I cannot ride the bike for a while now..

So it started off really well, received the replacement silencer even before I had to return the other one. Now it's kinda crappy because I need the bike to commute, and we finally have some nice weather around here. Ofcourse I sold the original exhaust because I got myself another one.. argh!

to be continued,,
Yay! Got everything back and it fits as it should! Including a nice spacer and heat resistant sticker (they forgot to add that with the other replacement silencer). Time to drive! :)

Simon

I found this when I fitted mine and quickly made a spacer from an M10 nut to kick the exhaust out 5mm or so. Just sent an email to SC as the spacer in the photos looks way nicer.

Quality exhaust, crazy noise, love it!

def

i accually like the sc-projekt exhaust the more i look at it, not sure anymore sc/akra titan/akra carbon :S anyone know how much the sc-project weight? atlest akra have the numbers.

rappetor

At a German forum someone compared the two:
Original ~ 7.2 kg
SC Project ~ 3.5 kg

So it saves 3.7 kg, not too shabby :p