Seton Tuning

Scim77

My MT-07 has Akro exhaust with shortened baffle plus DNA air filter and top plate (Yamaha snorkel filter top discarded). Like many other forum members, I have followed the reasoning and progress of ECU re-mapping, in the search for smoother on/off throttle response, less severe over-run engine braking plus more power. I, too, hoped that better fuelling would eliminate the intermittent tendency for the 07 to cut out whilst idling. I have just had my MT-07 re-flashed at Seton Tuning, near Colchester, UK.

Phil Seton is a hugely experienced tuner and rider of race bikes and completely understands how to correctly interpret dynamometer readings. He did a base run first, then studied the graphs. He then removed the ECU and re-flashed it from his software on his desk-top computer. He then did another dyno run with the re-flashed ECU, studied the graphs and air/fuel ratios, removed the ECU again, modified the mapping slightly on his desktop and then repeated the whole process. He did this five times, finally achieving really sensible level A/F ratios and significantly improved torque and power curves throughout the entire rev range. He also advanced the ignition timing by nearly 8 degrees without pinging, which also improved performance. The new software removes the fuel over-run cut-off feature and allows a minimal idle mixture to remain each time the throttle is closed.

In the vital 4000rpm to 8500rpm range, the torque has increased by up to 8% , the power by about 6%. At idle, my old air/fuel ratios were running far too lean, increasing the tendency to stall. This has been corrected. Before the re-map, my fuelling got progressively richer above 8000rpm dipping to 10.5:1 @ 10,000rpm. Now it stays at around 12.7 right up to the rev limit and the power and torque improvements are obvious from the graphs. If I was racing and keeping the throttle pinned open against it's stop, then maybe Phil would have erred slightly richer. For my style of riding he has optimised the fuelling perfectly. He is a clever guy.

I rode the bike and immediately noticed how smoothly it took up the throttle - no snatching or sudden transitions. It is silky smooth in slow traffic and so much more pleasurable to ride. Opening the throttle @ 4000rpm in 4th gear for a quick overtake unleashed massively more thrust than before. Crikey! This thing really goes now! The mid-range hit is stunning. "Can't stop smiling" doesn't even come close!

So I have gained all round. It doesn't stall, it creeps along in traffic without snatching, it has a more civilised deceleration when closing throttle from speed and it goes like stink when I open the throttle. Brilliant! Totally brilliant.

I unreservedly recommend the skills of Phil Seton. It you are UK-based then you are in safe hands with Phil. He has invested a lot into the Flash Tune technology package and he knows how to make it work for you. He has re-mapped a few MT-07's now and they have all worked like mine. It transforms the bike and releases its full performance potential. Granted it would invalidate warranty if you have any but it lets the bike perform how Yamaha made it capable of doing, before ever-impossible emission regulations suffocated it.

Image 13-07-2016 at 09.42.jpg

Scim77

Phil Seton charges £300 for this re-flash and all his dyno time. He does not clock-watch either - just keeps focussed until he optimises the curves.

e4xit

I can only second this -- had the same job done and am completely impressed; couldn't have gone better. Glad you have also seen such an improvement, I can hardly remember the bike before now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk