Shifting from 2nd to 3rd troublesome

Kaff

So I've done about 1000 km's on my MT-07 and I've noticed the same problem with it as I did on the test-ride bike. Here's the deal:

When I accelerate medium hard (revving until about 7000rpm before shifting), I never get the 3rd gear to engage without giving some throttle-help while shifting, which makes the shift take longer than it should. All other gears engage fine, but for some reason the 3rd is giving me a hard time. Anyone else experiencing this?

Tricky

I had same problem and discovered I wasn`t putting my foot under the gear selector enough and was kinda pushing the gear selector forward instead of up.Worked for me, no more 3rd gear problems.

Phil_B

Have you checked your chain tension? Mine was getting a bit sticky between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th and was a bit slack. Bringing the chain to the right tension seems to sort it.

rappetor

Playing a little bit with the shifter position might also do the trick (adjusting it a bit to a somewhat lower position is my guess). Otherwise you can ask the dealer to have a look at it, who knows something might be wrong.

No problems shifting into any gears here btw. But.. I like my shifter to be low, so that could be the reason I never ran into a problem like this. (on my 690 Duke I used to get into a false neutral a lot between 5 and 6, and that really needed adjusting the shifter to a lower position. So I kinda like that now :)).

valvestem

Have you checked your chain tension? Mine was getting a bit sticky between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th and was a bit slack. Bringing the chain to the right tension seems to sort it.
Yes, loose chain tension can affect shifting smoothness.
Ride safe
valvestem