Speedo Error

Ralph

Anyone checked the speedo and mileometer against a gps yet? just wondered how far out it is.

Ralph

Not far off then my last Suzuki was about 10% off which was ok at low speed
but by the time you got to 70 on the clock you were only doing 63, the mileometer
on the other hand was close to being right,
thanks for the reply.

D

Deleted member 20

My MT-07 km/h speedo is 10% more than GPS speed. My TDM 900 speedo is 5% more than GPS. MT-07 and TDM trip km readers show exact same distance, have not compared trip against GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralph

Thats more in line with my Suzy one you would think they would get them
a bit more accurate than that but par for the course.

allyw71

I think its EU regulation that speedo's read 10% fast, for the European market at least. I eliminated this on my Tiger by fitting a front sprocket 1 tooth bigger. Consequently it makes the odometer read slightly less than distance travelled, but that's not really a bad thing.

Lexington Stanway

I think its EU regulation that speedo's read 10% fast, for the European market at least. I eliminated this on my Tiger by fitting a front sprocket 1 tooth bigger. Consequently it makes the odometer read slightly less than distance travelled, but that's not really a bad thing.
I think UK law says the speedo must never read less than real speed and never more than 10% OTT. So if PPL find their MTs are about 10% over that close to the limit of being illegal. I'm pretty sure however there is no dyno in the MOT so no one would ever check.

I'd rather the law said 2% either way, I think that would make more seance than people trying to guess if they can do an indicated 33 or not past the GATSO. They put those things near junctions as it is, I'd much rather but concentrating on the traffic than wondering about the camera margin of error, the bike margin of error and if the idiot up my arse is going to hit me.

allyw71

Having looked at EU directive 2000/7/EC, which will supersede UK law, it appears that the speedo for 2 and 3 wheeled bikes over 50cc must read actual speed plus 8kph. Manufacturers will have to take into account tyre wear which would explain the differences people are finding between different bikes, I never saw any reference to an upper limit which must not be exceeded, maybe that comes under another directive :mad::rolleyes:

Rouqui

at an indicated 90kph our village speed warning sign says I'm doing 86kph. our Peugeot car is slightly more optimistic. Trouble is, now I try to aim at getting the sign to give me exactly 90, my speedo is about 95 and so on.