speedo??

johnnakay

how is the speedo driven?? through gears? front drive sprocket???

when I get my Tracer 700 in march next year I intend to change the front sprocket by going up one tooth(if it needs it)
more for economy more or less to keep my speeds down.
I dont mind if it over read clock say 30 but 28 or 50-48 mph etc

msesma

My guess is that the speedo takes the RPM data from the ECU and the gear ratio from the gear sensor.

Ralph

If it's a ABS bike the speed pulse is from the ABS system don't know were on a non
abs but suspect it will be from a sensor reading off the gear box output shaft.

Donut

how is the speedo driven?? through gears? front drive sprocket???

when I get my Tracer 700 in march next year I intend to change the front sprocket by going up one tooth(if it needs it)
more for economy more or less to keep my speeds down.
I dont mind if it over read clock say 30 but 28 or 50-48 mph etc

Sorry to say that I don't know the answer to your question but seeing as a standard MT-07 speedometer over reads by about 7% you may find that by adding a tooth to the front that you increase this over reading.

The easy solution to sort out any gearing change is to fit a Speedohealer as this enables you to program/calibrate your speedometer pretty much as you wish (from -99.9% to +9999.9%).

I've got mine set to read as accurately as I can.

Speedo Healer V4

johnnakay

thanks for the relies. there may not be enough room for a bigger front sprocket.
just gathering info before I buy the bike.
nearly if not all bikes have ABS now due to EU laws etc.

sdrio

Sorry to say that I don't know the answer to your question but seeing as a standard MT-07 speedometer over reads by about 7% you may find that by adding a tooth to the front that you increase this over reading.

The easy solution to sort out any gearing change is to fit a Speedohealer as this enables you to program/calibrate your speedometer pretty much as you wish (from -99.9% to +9999.9%).

I've got mine set to read as accurately as I can.

Speedo Healer V4
Mines standard, and comparing with GPS it's pretty much spot on. Maybe 1-2 MPH depending on what speed I'm doing. Have you got standard tyres on yours?

Ralph

And the answer is, It's just to the rear of the starter motor
under all the pipes and cables.
So it must read off the output shaft so if you fit a bigger
front sprocket the bike will be going faster in relation to your
speedo reading but the speedo reads fast so it will likely
under read but not by much.
the link below may help but I don't know if the Tracer uses the
same gearing as the MT.

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

Last edited:

johnnakay

thanks I'll figure something out once I get the bike.
the tracer has the same engine as the mt-07 no difference in power etc as far I can see.
as for speedo accuracy most forum member have said that the speedo is either accurate or 1 mph out.
I'm looking for it to read 30 mph but doing 28 mph. the coppers are shit hot in some places we go and if you doing 32 they'll have have you.
the 10% plus is only a guild line.

Ralph

The gearing may differ as it's got the plastic up front
my MT shows about 2/4 mph fast depending on speed
if it is only 1 mph out a tooth on the gear box will make
the speedo read low, the gearing on the MT is spot on
and I would not change it but with the Tracer thing may
be different.

Donut

Mines standard, and comparing with GPS it's pretty much spot on. Maybe 1-2 MPH depending on what speed I'm doing. Have you got standard tyres on yours?
Bought it secondhand but it had only done 1500 or so miles so I'm guessing that the Bridgestone BT023 are original.

I like having the speedohealer though anyway as it enables me to review the top speed that I have hit at the press of a button - not particularly useful but a fun gimmick.

sdrio

Bought it secondhand but it had only done 1500 or so miles so I'm guessing that the Bridgestone BT023 are original.

I like having the speedohealer though anyway as it enables me to review the top speed that I have hit at the press of a button - not particularly useful but a fun gimmick.
Hah, should also help the Police with their enquiries . . .

Donut

thanks I'll figure something out once I get the bike.
the tracer has the same engine as the mt-07 no difference in power etc as far I can see.
as for speedo accuracy most forum member have said that the speedo is either accurate or 1 mph out.
I'm looking for it to read 30 mph but doing 28 mph. the coppers are shit hot in some places we go and if you doing 32 they'll have have you.
the 10% plus is only a guild line.
Fit a speedohealer in that case and then you can set it how you want - which in your case would be about about 7% over (which is about what mine was).

johnnakay

tracer thing oooh matron you cant say that..thing! lol
I'm only guessing regarding sprocket change due to high revving engine etc and I may not change it at all..
when I had my Fazer 600 foxeye I was always searching for that gear even though I was in 6th.
so by fitting 1 extra tooth it cured it and in the process it added another extra 20 odd miles or so to the gallon not to mention that 400 revs lower at 70mph.
this stop the engine from buzzing so much,felt a more relax ride..
not bothered about top speed with carry my wife on the back I much prefer to ride slower these days.
if I do ride a bit faster its no more than 80 mph as I find that more than fast enough for me.

Ralph

The Fazer 600 is a 4 cylinder rev box
The Tracer is a twin and feels much more relaxed they it first as it will
very likely be ok for you my MT is spot on form new very well geared.

johnnakay

not ridden the mt as yet,local bike shop doesn't have any demo or used bike that I could try out.
by all account the engine is sweet so more than likely I'll leave as it is.
I ride two up all the time me and the wife.
I do like the mt but I think the tracer will be better for us.
I currently ride a Honda NC700X DCT nice bike to ride and a useful compartment in the dummy tank.
not a pretty bike I know other wise I'd keep.
why Honda choose to have bland colours on these bikes is any body guess despite the fact folks have said boring colours.
I definitely dont like the new ones.
DSC03266.jpg

sdrio

not ridden the mt as yet,local bike shop doesn't have any demo or used bike that I could try out.
by all account the engine is sweet so more than likely I'll leave as it is.
I ride two up all the time me and the wife.
I do like the mt but I think the tracer will be better for us.
I currently ride a Honda NC700X DCT nice bike to ride and a useful compartment in the dummy tank.
not a pretty bike I know other wise I'd keep.
why Honda choose to have bland colours on these bikes is any body guess despite the fact folks have said boring colours.
I definitely dont like the new ones.
This is my major gripe with the MT09 tracer. To me it looks exactly the same as the NC700 / 750, whatever it is now. I'm sure they're good bikes, but as you say, they are pretty dull to look at.

Ralph

Well I rode the NC 700 manual and if that's anything to go off
you will be wondering how 2 700 bikes can be so different.

Simoncrp

This is my major gripe with the MT09 tracer. To me it looks exactly the same as the NC700 / 750, whatever it is now. I'm sure they're good bikes, but as you say, they are pretty dull to look at.

I don't agree, I think the MT09 Tracer looks a lot better than the NC750. It has more character and is not so bland.