Standard security

sdrio

Nothing on mine either. I don't even know what a data tag is.

Regarding YISS and the secure key, don't put too much faith in those. When my MT03 got nicked, I was told that you can buy some gadget for £20 on Ebay that will bypass all of that. I never bothered to check if it's true, but I guess whoever stole it wasn;t worried that they'd have to replace the whole ignition system.

Rouqui

no sticker on my MT07 here in France. Not having any tag on the major components increases my insurance excess in case of theft. Any standard theft-prevention will soon be cracked by professional thieves - if they can take Mercs and BMW cars then any bike system will be easy. My measures include putting the bike away when I get home, so it doesn't stand very long outside, not parking in the same place every time I go to town (opposite the police station is good!) and using a big cable lock I once bought from a Harley dealer, made by the Fort Lock Company Chicago. Criminals will practise at home on the most common U-locks, disc locks etc so I'm hoping that something unusual will put them off.

Last edited:

Will145

Yeah to be honest - if criminals want your bike then they'll get it. It's just about making it harder for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mushymi5

Called my dealer and he advised that it has YISS, but no datatag, I challenged him on the Datatag, he went away and came back to confirm it will have it. Cheers Guys for posting the webpage for it. :)

bones

So are we now thinking it's got it with no stickers ?
I'm waiting for Cmc to respond and answer that question

TJ63

That's doubtful - if it has it, there will be paperwork to register it with Datatag. It should have your name on it.

bones

Cmc just got back to me to say yamaha aren't doing free data tagging on the mt 07!
So mine hasn't got it ....

Mushymi5

Hi Bones, I would tell them it’s been free since 2013 on all new Yamaha's over 126cc, that’s advice from my dealer, but he did have to call his HQ, who handle all the Yamaha orders. Apparently it’s been poorly communicated from Yamaha, but I would push for it, it’s very good and costs £100.00 if you had to buy it.

sdrio

I called my dealer this morning, and he said 'Nah, we don't do that. Datatag is old fashioned anyway, nobody uses it. It's rubbish, get a good lock and chain it to a lamp post'.

All I can see on the net is reports that Yamaha were going to do it, but those are dated 2012.

So, all clear as mud. I'm quite dubious about the dealer I bought from. Might have to follow this up.

Will145

I called my dealer this morning, and he said 'Nah, we don't do that. Datatag is old fashioned anyway, nobody uses it. It's rubbish, get a good lock and chain it to a lamp post'.

All I can see on the net is reports that Yamaha were going to do it, but those are dated 2012.

So, all clear as mud. I'm quite dubious about the dealer I bought from. Might have to follow this up.
Hmmm sounds like your dealer is just trying to avoid sorting it all out. Any extra security is worth having, especially if its free.

sdrio

Hmmm sounds like your dealer is just trying to avoid sorting it all out. Any extra security is worth having, especially if its free.
I agree. I'm taking it in for it's first service on Friday, I'll ask them to clear up whether they are obliged to provide it or not. If I'm entitled to it, I'm having it!

Will145

Too right fella! Kick ass! I got mine at the beginning of May from the yamaha dealer motorcycle world in Northampton,so if you want to mention me as an example feel free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdrio

OK, update.

I mailed Yamaha customer service, who replied as follows;

----------------------------

We thank you for your enquiry regarding your recently purchased Yamaha MT-07.

All officially imported Yamaha Motorcycles over 125cc are supplied with the Master Security Scheme system, which is a Datatag product.

Please refer back to your Yamaha Dealer, who should have a Master Security Scheme kit for your machine.

Regards,

Customer Service
Service Department
After Sales Division

Y A M A H A M O T O R ( U K ) L T D

---------------------------

So, I'll forward that to the dealer and ask them to sort it out. I'll report back!

Cheers.

sdrio

I didn't get it from CMC Clay Cross...apparently its chargeable!
Doesn't seem so.

Only thing that isn't clear is that while the dealer appears to be obliged to supply the kit, they didn't actually say the dealer has to apply it. Wouldn;t bother me, I'm happy to do it myself, but I can understand a dealer would charge you for the time.

Googling around, it looks like a few people have done it themselves, but it doesn't sound difficult and takes them a couple of hours. Mainly consists of sticking things to the bike.

I'd chase it up if it was me.