Steady throttle makes bike jerky

Hi all,

First I'd like to salute you all - looks like an amazing community you have here.

Now to my problem. I've noticed that when I'm holding a steady throttle, the bike feels jerky/not smooth. Is this standard behaviour on this bike? When I do accelerate however, it pulls cleanly and without hesitation. I'm pretty sure it's not my hand since I've been riding motorcycles quite some time and haven't had this problem.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - the bike is '15 model year and has done about 1400km. The chain is properly adjusted and lubed since it was at the dealership 3-4 days ago for the first service at 1000km.

Thanks

Last edited:

sdrio

Never noticed it on mine. It seems pretty smooth all the way through the rev range, and I can certainly hold it steady in moving traffic.

Compared to the MT03 I had before, which as a big single needed a very steady hand to ride smoothly, the MT07 has far better manners.

Might be worth asking the dealer to have a look.

rappetor

Don't have that problem with mine either. All smooth, also at steady throttle.

Like sdrio I did come from a big one cylinder (KTM 690 Duke), which wasn't smooth at all (and that's an understatement :) ), so for me the MT 07 was such an improvement.

It's even still really smooth after I installed a R6 throttle tube, which makes the throttle a lot 'quicker'.

Ralph

Unless you drop mine to silly revs ie 30 in 6th then it is rock steady.
you sometimes get a slight jerk just as you open the throttle after being
on the overrun but nothing at steady speeds.

nobull

Hi all,

First I'd like to salute you all - looks like an amazing community you have here.

Now to my problem. I've noticed that when I'm holding a steady throttle, the bike feels jerky/not smooth. Is this standard behaviour on this bike? When I do accelerate however, it pulls cleanly and without hesitation. I'm pretty sure it's not my hand since I've been riding motorcycles quite some time and haven't had this problem.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - the bike is '15 model year and has done about 1400km. The chain is properly adjusted and lubed since it was at the dealership 3-4 days ago for the first service at 1000km.

Thanks
Does it hold constant revs at standstill in neutral? If not, and if you don't have anything aftermarket affecting the mix eg exhaust/filter, then mention it to dealer. If it does remain steady then personally I wouldn't worry

Thanks everyone for sharing the experiences!

nobull - in standstill and neutral gear, the display isn't showing a change in the RPM, however judging by the sound I can tell that the RPM is varying. I'm taking this to the dealer tomorrow and will update you once I know what's up...

Ralph

Because the MT as a uneven firing order it as a slightly lumpy feeling under some conditions like a V twin.

Took it to the dealership this morning, the service person there took it out for a drive to see what's up. He said it was normal and nothing could be done bout it. Not sure where to go with that really.

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Ralph

If you know someone that as a MT that you trust get them to ride yours see if they think it's right.

da1kini

Have they checked the throttle body sync? ;) should be done at first service.

Here someone explains what could be similiar to your problem?

"At low throttle inputs, the bike seems to slightly surge. At highway speeds, the issue seems to go away. I held the throttle slightly open at idle the other day and noticed that the RPM's would go up and down within a couple hundred RPM. This seems to explain exactly what I have been feeling at low speeds and coming off idle."

Last edited:

sdrio

Took it to the dealership this morning, the service person there took it out for a drive to see what's up. He said it was normal and nothing could be done bout it. Not sure where to go with that really.

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experiences.
I would say, the MT is quite capable of a somewhat snatchy feel as you roll the throttle on, at certain speeds. There does seem to be a thin line between no power and quite a lot of power, if that makes sense.

As said, it's not something that you get when you're just holding steady in traffic, but I do sometimes get a 'whoa, that was a bit sudden' feeling when for example I open it up from a relatively low speed in second gear.

This has caught a few people out, and has been commented on - unexpected wheelies aren't unheard of (self included), and one poor guy managed to flip his on the way home from the dealer, with 8 miles on the clock.

It's not exactly what I get from your description, but if it is that, then I wouldn't worry too much, as you will get used to it. In general terms, compared to a lot of other bikes, the MT07 does have a sharpish power delivery, and a bit of a hair trigger clutch. You'll notice it even more if you've come from a smaller bike.

I would say, the MT is quite capable of a somewhat snatchy feel as you roll the throttle on, at certain speeds. There does seem to be a thin line between no power and quite a lot of power, if that makes sense.

As said, it's not something that you get when you're just holding steady in traffic, but I do sometimes get a 'whoa, that was a bit sudden' feeling when for example I open it up from a relatively low speed in second gear.

This has caught a few people out, and has been commented on - unexpected wheelies aren't unheard of (self included), and one poor guy managed to flip his on the way home from the dealer, with 8 miles on the clock.

It's not exactly what I get from your description, but if it is that, then I wouldn't worry too much, as you will get used to it. In general terms, compared to a lot of other bikes, the MT07 does have a sharpish power delivery, and a bit of a hair trigger clutch. You'll notice it even more if you've come from a smaller bike.
True words - it is possible that it's just a design characteristic of the MT-07's engine.

Yesterday I was a experimenting a bit and noticed that it only happens in low speeds, up to 50-60kph. After that I cannot feel the problem.. I guess I'll probably just have to used to it, although city riding (20kph to 40kph) is very annoying due to the surging.

Eddieh93

Cant say I have ever experience it being jerky unless in in first at high revs and I back off and go back on the throttle again.

Dont buy an MT-09 if you think the 07 is jerky what ever you do haha