Stolen - MT07 Race Blu London SW11

Irksome

Chaps - my beloved Race Blu MT07 has just been stolen from outside my office ... if any fellow London riders can keep an eye out - distinctive registration MT07ZZZ

GUTTED :mad:

addy

Chaps - my beloved Race Blu MT07 has just been stolen from outside my office ... if any fellow London riders can keep an eye out - distinctive registration MT07ZZZ

GUTTED :mad:
Sorry to hear that and I will keep an eye out, did it have any extra security on it or only steering lock?

Irksome

No physical security ... I know !!! .... but its just not practical for a work bike I need to jump on and move off quickly. I suppose I will invest in some, but I'm pretty convinced that it was started (there was a witness who heard a bike start in the 10 minute window that I know it went) and ridden off - without any alarm going off. So two immobilisers (Yamaha ignition immobiliser + Datatool on a separate system) and the Dataool alarm.

Looking at replacing her now - surprised how well the MT07 seems to hold value (or the price the stealers want for them!) ... plod were very good btw, showed up, took details, gave advice etc!

Irksome

Ahh pants ... just realised that if I replace like for like ... I'm gonna get pulled over for the rest of my life!

addy

Bikes with no extra security are so easy to just push away, just keep a decent disk lock under your seat, some abus disk locks you can get a mounting bracket that screw in between the frame and pillion foot pegs so it's always on the bike and quickly accessible.

sdrio

Shutting the stable door here, but the Abus Victory disk lock will actually fix through the hole on the upright part of the passenger footpeg. I sometimes do that with mine if I'm just hopping from one place to another.

Eddieh93

Most of the dick locks should fit in under the seat i never leave mine without it on after mine old bike was stolen from outside of my house.

Its not the best disk lock but its a deterrent as well as a lock.

Ralph

No physical security ... I know !!! .... but its just not practical for a work bike I need to jump on and move off quickly. I suppose I will invest in some, but I'm pretty convinced that it was started (there was a witness who heard a bike start in the 10 minute window that I know it went) and ridden off - without any alarm going off. So two immobilisers (Yamaha ignition immobiliser + Datatool on a separate system) and the Dataool alarm.

Looking at replacing her now - surprised how well the MT07 seems to hold value (or the price the stealers want for them!) ... plod were very good btw, showed up, took details, gave advice etc!
They did well to defeat all that electronic kit in 10 min to get it started
makes you wounder, how they got the info on how to start it, easier
to just lift it into a van.
No matter what you do if they really want it they will have it away.

Last edited:

sdrio

They did well to defeat all that electronic kit in 10 min to get it started
makes you wounder, how they got the info on how to start it, easier
to just lift it into a van.
No matter what you do if they really want it they will have it away.
Two possbilities.

1. They didn't defeat the security, they just whacked the steering lock and pushed it away. It would be a couple of scrotes on a scooter - one rides the scooter and pushes the nicked bike that the other one is on with their foot on the rear peg. Presumably they're local or have a van somewhere. It'll be in bits by now.

2. I have heard of but haven't actually seen a gadget that apparently you can get on ebay for almost nothing that will bypass YISS.

Seems to me that a disk lock is quite effective. Most bikes that get nicked seem to have had no security on them. Mine was saved by it's disk lock.

Mbstyt

Sorry to hear :(. Very gutting.

Not to be all holier than thou, but definitely get some decent security for whatever bike replaces it. Yes, if a bike thief really wants your bike, they will find a way, but make it as hard as you can for them!

Whenever I'm outside of home I always bring 2/3 locks with me.

At the minimum, always 2 disk locks. I use an ABUS RS1 on the front wheel which is an alarmed disc lock which is not sensitive to the point that a gust of wind would set if off, but sensitive enough that if someone sits in or nudges the bike, it goes off - and it is LOUD. You could argue that no one pays attentions to alarms, but you'd probably be able to hear it from your office and hopefully it would startle any potential thieves into scampering.

I use a Oxford Mini T disc lock for the rear disc. It's a mini disc lock which has a 5mm pin and it fits into the ventilation holes of the brake disk. I did used to have a ABUS RS3 alarmed disc lock (more basic version than the RS1) but due to the design of the 07,it didn't fit on. I don't see it lasting particularly long against a determined thief but again, it's a deterrent factor and about making the job harder for the thief.

If I feel it is needed, I also have an Abus Granit Shackle lock that I sometimes take out. This I just shackle around the spokes of the rear tyre. If they defeat the Oxford Mini T, then they have to go through he Abus shackle. Of course, if they just rock up in a van and shove it in the back then its all but moot, but again, deterrence is a form of security.

I also have a Road Angel Bike Trac tracker. Yes, it is definitely dear but worth it in my opinion. When I dropped my 07 off at the dealers for its first service, I forgot to turn the tracker into service mode so it wouldn't get triggered. I had walked away less than 10 metres and the mechanic hadn't even wheeled it all the way into the workshop yet when my phone rang and the Road Angel guys were telling me that there was movement detected and to check if everything was OK.

Hope you get a replacement sorted soon, will keep an eye out for the stolen one with that unique plate....

Irksome

Another cautionary note ... if your vehicle gets nicked with a private plate, you have to wait 12 months until you can reclaim that numberplate ... still at least I won't get stopped constantly for the next year!

Think I've sourced a replacement ... will post the details once I've secured the deal.

Irksome

I think they probably would have paid out if I'd done anything about it, but I've been on holiday and I've not yet sent them any of my documentation. The good news is they agreed to add my new bike to my existing policy and just charge me an admin fee - so the hike I'm probably about to get will get delayed until next March ... I'm actually astonished at this!

Ralph

Yes show us I for one am always interested in any bike.
Your insurance seems good may I ask who they are?

Irksome

Ralph - don't know whether my insurers are any good yet ... this has been an expensive experience so far!