Tail tídy broken

P

Peter

It is a one year old original Yamaha accessories.

Today afternoon my tail tidy broke. The turn signal indicators scratched, the red reflector damaged, the nameplate destroyed. Wire insulation damaged.
Dealer already contacted but no answer yet. I'm really angry with Yamaha. It is a known issue and it is not fixed.

It is made of alloy so I can not weld.

IMAG0933_.jpg

IMAG0934_.jpg

IMAG0935_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Noggie

Thats not caused by corrosion, that is a fatigue break.
Looks like the bracket is not able to support the weight of the indicators and plate and broke due to vibrations.

Glad I changed to the LED indicators and not using a plate frame, that is a huge reduction in weight.
guess mods like mine will prevent this from happening, though its not very good of Yamaha to see a product that cant support standard equipment.

P

Peter

I agree with you. It is a fatigue break. The quality of the roads are very poor here (quite bumpy) but it is not an excuse.

Corrosion (galvanic corrosion?) can be observed too.

I'm going to switch to LED indicators, skip the plastic frame and try to apply some extra support.
My pain is that we are in the middle of the season and I have to wait weeks for the parts...

StoneBridge

Szia, látom te is itteni vagy.
Ez így megadta magát? Durva... ugyanez az extra van fent nekem is a gyári LED-es indexekkel. Jobb lesz ha figyelek rá. :confused:
Nem darálta be és cseszte szét a kerékjárati ívet? Sajnálom, hogy ez történt. Remélem gariban javítják neked.

Üdv.

Noggie

Just a detail, but since you brought it up earlier. no, this is not galvanic corrosion.
This is regular aluminium corrosion. Aluminium "rust" just like steel, but it gives off a white "rust". Many people say that aluminium don't "rust", that is wrong, its just not brown rust, and rust is just a form of corrosion, not something different.

Galvanic corrosion is a reaction between two different alloys mated together, and you get a flow of electrons between the metals where one is literally eating the other.
This is why you don't mix steel and aluminium. i.e put steel bolts into aluminium.
And this is why you get that white powder on you cars wheel bolts if you have aluminium wheels.

you should be able to make a quick fix out of the broken bracket by drilling some holes, a few bolts and a metal plate while you wait for a new one.

P

Peter

I think it could be galvanic. The other parts of the tidy made of steel (checked with magnet). Those parts put together with bolts.
The galvanic corrosion between aluminium and steel is not as strong as alu-copper, but exists.
This can be speed up if you apply high conductive material like road salt.

Unfortunately my dealer discouraged to fix it temporary. He told me that Yamaha change the broken part instead of giving an other one. They may investigate the broken part.
I have to install back the original one...

Nuggets

looks like mechanical failure to me? I can't see any signs of corrosion along the failure point, in fact looks like the plate holder has "torn" away in the close up when you look at the edges of the plate holder?

the tail tidy mounting bracket is certainty suffering the same white spot syndrome as mine, Yamaha being stingy with the PPC coating on their accessories meaning corrosion is showing through.

Ralph

One thing for sure it does not look good for the long life of that part, you may get lots of practice at fitting them.

P

Peter

Update: there is nothing to update :-(

This happened 2 weeks ago and still no answer from the dealer.
They say waiting for the answer from the Hungarian Yamaha.
It is suspicious that my claim will be refused.

I'm really disappointed now. I think Yamaha lost at least one customer now (me) and many potential customers who read my story.

I've fixed the broken parts with rivets. The indicators polished, new frame installed and the damaged registration plate remanufactured. The bike looks similar like before the crash.

Let me ask you guys: Can you imagine the same behaviour in your country? It is a typical East European approach?