The differance between long and short exhausts

Yaminator

Guys i need your help on this subject..
So is the longer ones less noisey than the stubby exhausts...?
Thanks in advance....
ie: when the exhaust exit part is further away from the rider
because my one is very close to the ground and it must reflect all the noise to me.??

Last edited:

bbsteinnewyork

Short silencers are all designed for looks over function. The longer the silencer the greater effect it can have over the pulses This being said there are many ways to configure the silencer to mimic distance. As for sound absorbing properties volume around the silencer effects this as well as distance. There is much more to be said about this but I'm out of time. The best pipe for this bike is the Graves, it's all so the most expensive but you get what you pay for with this exhaust

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gregjet

Because people use the same word for different things I have to ask the following:
By exhaust do you mean the muffler, NOT the whole exhaust system. The muffler is actually an ADDITION to the exhaust system. The silencing and restriction issues are not directly length dependent, but can be. A longer muffler of the same design will be quieter UNLESS the extra volume creates a resonator of some sort, in which case, it may not be.
If you mean the actual exhaust system, the length ( and diameter internal) dictate the rpm at which the engine will work correctly with the exhaust gas pulses. Shorter higher rpm , longer lower rpm. The exhaust length should be matched to the cams for optimium output. The standard 07 exhaust is way to short for the peak power it's engine produces and is a styling exercise ( like the giant rear tyre) to make it look racey ( MotoGP bikes produce their power at MUCH higher rpm so the pipes are shorter. Haven't been able to check the cam angles, yet but be willing to bet the Akro "snail" pipe is the correct length. It's why a few of the proper aftermarket pipes are MUCH longer and sit furthur back on the 07 than the stock ones.

Yaminator

What i'm asking is that my scorpion can exit is directly under my right foot and looks like alot of the sound hits the floor..
If i was to change this exhaust system with something like a mivv GP exhaust will this be more pleasing to my ears because sound is getting directed more behind me.??
Bear in mind this is without the DB Killers....

sdrio

Taking the baffles out will have much more effect than the size of the pipe.

My R1 has a huge can on it, and sounds pretty unremarkable with the baffles in. Take them out and it's like all the Norse gods have got together for a farting contest.