to 'motocage' or not?

Vold

Hey folks, need a bit of an advice here. I'm on the market for my MT-07 as I pretty like the bike. Not sure if I really want to go with "Moto cage" as it seems a bit cheesy to me... Please let me know your thoughts

Also, got my full A couple of weeks ago - is it worth considering MT-09 instead? Not sure how MT-09 for the busy London roads though

Any feedback is welcome

Cheers

V

Igor

The motocage is purely a visual difference if you like the look go for it, if not go for base model.

There are parts of the motocage I like and some I don't but its purely a personal preference, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

As for the MT09, not tried one. I had the option when I got the 07. But preferred the 07s look and to be honest I didnt think I needed more power or better suspension and for the riding I do I dont need better.

I commute every day through heavy traffic and then do weekend back road blasts for fun. The 07 does all I need, it is the best for traffic and fun on the back roads.

Maybe if I was a faster rider I'd need better suspension but I'm not so I don't ?

KEVINJSTANLEY

Cheesy ...bloody charming lol

Hey folks, need a bit of an advice here. I'm on the market for my MT-07 as I pretty like the bike. Not sure if I really want to go with "Moto cage" as it seems a bit cheesy to me... Please let me know your thoughts

Also, got my full A couple of weeks ago - is it worth considering MT-09 instead? Not sure how MT-09 for the busy London roads though

Any feedback is welcome

Cheers

V
the Mt07 Cage is approx. a thousand quid dearer, with the little extras..it is different in looks and does stand out from other MT's. however the only other MT I would consider against the cage is the blue and then spend the extra cash you would save on Maxton or other front suspension...this improves handling no end.
That said you would still have a rather more common MT, I say this as a plus rather than negative as the MT seems to be getting quite a following.
has the super updated white one been sold that was on here ....not that would be worth buying

Vold

The motocage is purely a visual difference if you like the look go for it, if not go for base model.

There are parts of the motocage I like and some I don't but its purely a personal preference, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

As for the MT09, not tried one. I had the option when I got the 07. But preferred the 07s look and to be honest I didnt think I needed more power or better suspension and for the riding I do I dont need better.

I commute every day through heavy traffic and then do weekend back road blasts for fun. The 07 does all I need, it is the best for traffic and fun on the back roads.

Maybe if I was a faster rider I'd need better suspension but I'm not so I don't ?
Thanks Igor, appreciated.

Do you cary pillions on your MT-07, how is it?

Vold

test ride booked!

ok folks, i'm pretty much sold now :)

got my MT07 and MT09 test ride booked for this Saturday :)

Will keep you posted, but i can say - 99% im on board, now need to find a good second hand one (in case i skip the 'motocage')

sdrio

I saw a moto cage out and about the other day, it didn't look cheesy to me, I thought it was OK - and I'm not usually a fan of blinged up bikes.

The MT09 is a bit of a beast. I wouldn't say you shouldn't get one, but having tested one, and having owned an MT07 for a year, I can tell you it's not going to get you through London traffic any faster. You get a fair bit more power, but lose a bit of agility.

Vold

I saw a moto cage out and about the other day, it didn't look cheesy to me, I thought it was OK - and I'm not usually a fan of blinged up bikes.

The MT09 is a bit of a beast. I wouldn't say you shouldn't get one, but having tested one, and having owned an MT07 for a year, I can tell you it's not going to get you through London traffic any faster. You get a fair bit more power, but lose a bit of agility.
fair point, appreciated. that was my thought too... Cheers

Gaz2212

quick one guys don't want to hi-jack
yes kev my uprated white has sold, got the money I wanted and could have sold it for more by the amount of enquiries I got
good luck Vold whichever I'm sure you will enjoy

Vold

quick one guys don't want to hi-jack
yes kev my uprated white has sold, got the money I wanted and could have sold it for more by the amount of enquiries I got
good luck Vold whichever I'm sure you will enjoy
thanks mate

addy

Thing that ruins the moto cage for me is the front red wheel, also the hand guards I believe make the handlebars a fair bit wider which isn't great for London.

Igor

I haven't had a pillion on mine as Vold asked. My wife won't get on any bike....

Although she did get on my SV once (only because it was the quickest way into Oslo to hang around outside the grand hotel in the hope she would see Will Smith who was staying there....)

But sure someone around the forum will have had a pillion on board to tell you how it handled it.

Vold

Yeah, i hear a lot of 'comfy' seats talks, so wonder if that something i have to consider, as my missus is crazy riding with me (even on my CBR125R at the moment :) )

addy

Yeah, i hear a lot of 'comfy' seats talks, so wonder if that something i have to consider, as my missus is crazy riding with me (even on my CBR125R at the moment :) )
I don't have another bike to compare it to but I ride with my gf all the time and filter round London, the bike is definitely more than capable to handle it but the only issue is comfort. I have the comfort seat but even then the pillion seat is pretty small and my gf gets moody after about 1 1/2 hours.

Vold

I don't have another bike to compare it to but I ride with my gf all the time and filter round London, the bike is definitely more than capable to handle it but the only issue is comfort. I have the comfort seat but even then the pillion seat is pretty small and my gf gets moody after about 1 1/2 hours.
Ha! good to know mate, mine is 'quet' so far.... so i bet i'll get away with it... If no - then i probably upgrade to a comfy seats at some stage...

Thanks mate

addy

Ha! good to know mate, mine is 'quet' so far.... so i bet i'll get away with it... If no - then i probably upgrade to a comfy seats at some stage...

Thanks mate
A cheaper option would be to take the seats to someone and have them put better foam or put gels pads in, the stock seats I find pretty bad if your doing anything more than just riding around town.

Donut

Thanks mate
Wife been pillion a couple of times and although not perfect the bike is more than capable. With kit I'm about 14 1/2 stone and she's about 12 so combined weight around 26 or 27 stone (365 to 380 pounds - or 165 to 172 kg) so almost the same weight as the bike by itself !

Needs a little more throttle than my speed triple 1050 (but that's to be expected) which doesn't notice a pillion at all really but that's 135 bhp compared to 75bhp.

Need to increase preload a bit on the MT but that may change soon as I'm getting a Nitron R1 for the back end and an Andreani cartridge kit for the front for somewhere between £900 and £1000 (supplied, fitted and set up) - plus a service (couple of months overdue) / dyno (with and without db killer in Akrapovic to find out what it's putting out and how it's fuelling) / speedo healer (to adjust the approx 7% optimistic reading) and maybe some better front pads.

The MT09 is also a cracking bike, although I didn't like it on my first test ride funnily enough, and I may get one of those too when I sell my Triumph as it's a lot lighter and lower than the 1050.

Both bikes are cracking good value and once bought you can improve them very easily IF you find then lacking in any way (except the engines which are both great as standard.

Have fun on your test rides.

nobull

Personally I would go standard MT07, you only have to look how many more of these have been sold to know it will be easier come resale time. And cheaper. 07 may not be that fast but its fun and easygoing, light handling etc. I've never ridden the 09, but at standstill it felt so much heavier (and I'm 6 '4 so its no issue for me) that I didn't even want to test ride it. Personal choice though hope you enjoy whatever you get (I also don't like overthought "bling")

Vold

Personally I would go standard MT07, you only have to look how many more of these have been sold to know it will be easier come resale time. And cheaper. 07 may not be that fast but its fun and easygoing, light handling etc. I've never ridden the 09, but at standstill it felt so much heavier (and I'm 6 '4 so its no issue for me) that I didn't even want to test ride it. Personal choice though hope you enjoy whatever you get (I also don't like overthought "bling")
Yeah, that's where I think I end up - second hand usual mt07...
Pretty hard to find a good one second hand though ( need to go via trader I think as I need a px of mine )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk