Visordown ... interesting

cosmikdebriis

It is not uncommon for something new on the market, that everyone raves about as being the best thing since sliced bread, to then become "fashionably" knocked by the press. It's how they make a living after all.

Doesn't surprise or worry me one jot.

Raindog

The way he describes it though is when pulling away, not stopped with the clutch in. At least that's how it reads for me.

Darren

Ride both bikes through the first winter and see what one comes off the worse! I just sold a SV to get this bike after riding through not such a cold winter with hardly any salt chucked down and the finish already started to go. I have a 02 Yamaha XJR from new that has faired better in the 12 years I''ve owned it than an SV with only 1 winter to deal with. Also the SV front suspension bottomed out regularly, not a problem with the MT07. Yamaha wins on quality every time and that's what I am after........I am very happy with my bike. Does everything I wanted from a bike and more, it definitely re-lights the fire. Sure the clutch bite is slightly different than my other bike but you get used to it and it rides fine. To be honest the bike did stall on me once on my first week running it in but I think it was mainly me getting used to the controls and the newness of the bike.

You can't knock the MT07 based on one persons opinion!

Last edited:

xt660isgood2

Apart from the similar price and cc I don’t know how you can compare the 2.
I’d feel a bit peed off If I’d bought a hideous looking thing and then six months later
A beautiful thing like the mt was launched.
He says the sv hasn't changed for years. Well I rode one years ago and would have to say it was probably on par with the 600 bandit. A fine bike of its time.
But the mt as we know...just seems like a bike that's a bit different from the norm and smiley fun

Phil_B

I didn't think the points raised about the MT were that unfair. The difficulty I have is not much to compare against personally. I nearly bought an SV as my first bike last winter (like the writer) before finding out about the MT, and still quite like them.

The conclusion is a bit more questionable however; in terms or which is the best "buy" - I can't help but think whilst the RRP of the SV, especially pre reg'd ones is a bargain... depreciation is going to be a killer on such a well established (or dated) model.

So, on that basis... over the long term you're losing out perhaps.

In terms of which is the best "bike", I'm sure some of that's personal taste, but I'd still really like a go on one to compare the ride and handling/power for myself.

Last edited:

Eddieh93

Im sorry has he seen what the SV650 looks like my sisters 7 week old baby has done prettier poo's than that thing!

Eddieh93

No not at all its just the first time I have seen this thread.

Now if you were a good senior member and read my introduction,:p you would know I have only had the bike 5 months so not even been on this forum for 2!

I take it my humour is not for you then Sdrio?:confused:

sdrio

No not at all its just the first time I have seen this thread.

Now if you were a good senior member and read my introduction,:p you would know I have only had the bike 5 months so not even been on this forum for 2!

I take it my humour is not for you then Sdrio?:confused:
Nah, I wasn't really having a dig. Just amused that a year old thread got bumped with a post about baby poo.

I'm the resident moaner anyway. Don't ask me about stalling, you'll never hear the end of it.

Eddieh93

Fair enough, feel like a bit of a numpty now biting back haha

Lets be honest everyone love a good moan haha

William

Ride both bikes through the first winter and see what one comes off the worse! I just sold a SV to get this bike after riding through not such a cold winter with hardly any salt chucked down and the finish already started to go. I have a 02 Yamaha XJR from new that has faired better in the 12 years I''ve owned it than an SV with only 1 winter to deal with. Also the SV front suspension bottomed out regularly, not a problem with the MT07. Yamaha wins on quality every time and that's what I am after........I am very happy with my bike. Does everything I wanted from a bike and more, it definitely re-lights the fire. Sure the clutch bite is slightly different than my other bike but you get used to it and it rides fine. To be honest the bike did stall on me once on my first week running it in but I think it was mainly me getting used to the controls and the newness of the bike.

You can't knock the MT07 based on one persons opinion!
What were the things you liked better with the MT-07 than the SV650? Thanks.

Igor

I owned a K5 SV650s for 7 years and it is a fantastic bike, if someone picked that over the MT I wouldn't blame them. I never had any issues with build quality of the SV and I rode it all year round in the UK (North East Scotland, so plenty of salty roads in the winter) It never had a single problem in 7 years, great handling and strong engine. It'll do just about anything you ask it to, commuting/touring/weekend back road blast.

I did find that the riding position was a bit too sports bike for me so I fitted some extended clip-ons to spare my back and wrists and it wasn't as good as the MT in town traffic. The MT on the other hand does feel more gutsy and for me is better as my daily commute involves alot of town traffic/filtering. But really to me the two bikes are so close to each other in the handling/performance department that there is no real world difference.