Winter!

Igor

Well winter's here, first snow flakes falling today in Oslo. So I'll be clearing some space in the garage to store the MT up for winter.

I have to admit with my last bike (SV650s) I just parked it in the garage over the winter and did nothing else. she started up perfectly first time when the spring came.

So I was wondering if there are any cold weather country people out there with some advice on winter storage? Reckon I'll at least take out the battery but anything else anyone would recommend?

DeadHead

Polish and protect the bike using your favourite detailer,/wax etc, use scottoiler/acf50 for corrosion protection.
Make sure the tank is full of fuel and add a fuel stabilizer - this will stop the fuel breaking down while in storage. Make sure you run the bike to mix it in with the fuel
You need to elevate the bike to stop flat spot in the tyres, either that or over inflate the tyres an extra 10psi and rotate the wheels on a regular basis.
I've also heard about refreshing the oil before laying it up particularity if you had some a few miles before hand.
Put the bike on a trickle charger like an optimate4 or remove the battery and do it.

I'll be riding my MT-07 through winter(it's not so bad here).....I will be laying up my BMW S1000r through the winter months and this is what i have learnt so far. I hope some of it helps

Ralph

If you connect a charger do it through a timer switch set to come on a hour a day
it will keep the battery charged without any risk of drying it out.

DeadHead

If you connect a charger do it through a timer switch set to come on a hour a day
it will keep the battery charged without any risk of drying it out.
That's what's good about the optimate4, it constantly monitors your battery and tops it up when required there's no need to have a timer it's built in.

Igor

Cheers guys, reckon I'll look into a charger like the optimate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 20

I just charge once for 24 hours, leave the battery installed on the bike and it's then still full some 4 months later.

Igor

Yeah my SV I did nothing, didn't even disconnect and it was always fine but I thought as the MT has a small battery it might a bit of extra care

Boston

Cheers guys, reckon I'll look into a charger like the optimate

I use a Ctek charger like this one for years now and i has done the job just fine. Should be easy to find in Oslo. You can connnect a permanent extender cable to the battery and hide it under the seat cover. Easy to connect whenever needed. I don't disconnect the bikes battery cables and charge one or two times during the winterization.
http://www.clasohlson.com/no/Ctek-Zafir-45-batterilader/36-3762