You know why Aus gets the carp gutless LAMS version?

gregjet

Wonder why Yamaha went to all the trouble to make a special garbage version of the MT07?
It is an insult and a pay back for Casey Stoner flogging them in MotoGp on Ducati's and Handa's. Didn't realize that did you. In Eurpoe they just put a throttle restrictor on, but here ECU specially made so it is a complete pain in the butt to make it into a proper bike. The reduction in capacity ( and resulting compression drop) would be fine but they had to make sure Australians couldn't go too fast because they believe us to be useless riders. Believe it...I do...sort of.

Ralph

Because they wanted a 650cc version so it could be mod'ed for Mini Twin and Super Twin racing
it's a growing class and bikes over 650 are not eligible? if so there could soon be some rather
good tuning stuff out there as it needs about 85 hp to be competitive.

gregjet

In Queensland I fits into the Formula 3 class ( 400cc 4cyl 4st, 250cc 2cyl 2st, 800cc single 4st, 400cc single 2 st, 650 cc 2cyl 4st) as it has a 5% tolerance on capacity. Because of it's low weight it doesn't need as high a horsepower as the other 650's to be competitive. Motors are relatively stock so limited to exhaust and FI mods( power commander etc). That would make the MT very competitive. The bit drawback is you can't change wheels and the rear on the MT is way too big and heavy ( mostly the ridiculous oversize tyre required for the 5.5 rim).

shadowmonkey

I thought it was because Yamaha said Australians had to many castlemane 4x's to be able to ride them, couldn't cope with the power.

Last edited:

tw586

because the biggest market in australia is the learner legal, with a average 10% increase each year from 2008 so its just supply and demand.
the MT07 is selling very well here and most dealers are filling order books out to mid year, its also killed off the Ninja 650 and even its own MT03 and to a certain extent the MT09
most riders wanting to return to the Two wheels are opting for the 07 as well

gregjet

They could have bought both in though preferably with ABS. They already make the proper one... not any extra effort..

gregjet

And another thing. If they went to all the trouble of making a special Aussie model, why didn't they put an Australian size fuel tank on it. In most of Australia it won't even get you to the next big town. When I lived in Townsville, Cairns or Mackay wuld have not been able to be ridden to without refuelling. If you take the plastic off the outside of the tank it really shows how stupidly small it is. Looks like it would suit a Harley. 13litres should be at least 17litres. On our trip to Phillip Island and back Sally's 14l tank meant we had to actually plan EVERY fuel stop from PI to South Aus then back to Queensland. Complete pan in the butt. And The Duke gets better fuel economy than a MT07.

Ralph

And another thing. If they went to all the trouble of making a special Aussie model, why didn't they put an Australian size fuel tank on it. In most of Australia it won't even get you to the next big town. When I lived in Townsville, Cairns or Mackay wuld have not been able to be ridden to without refuelling. If you take the plastic off the outside of the tank it really shows how stupidly small it is. Looks like it would suit a Harley. 13litres should be at least 17litres. On our trip to Phillip Island and back Sally's 14l tank meant we had to actually plan EVERY fuel stop from PI to South Aus then back to Queensland. Complete pan in the butt. And The Duke gets better fuel economy than a MT07.

Even in the UK I have had a few nail biters with the low fuel range, even with the best planning you lads must be way beyond the point of no return at times.

gregjet

NSW along the coast and Victoria and Tasmania are not too bad but even the coast road in Qld often have to fill at every town. The biggest problem is that lots of the small town servos have closed. I have been driving Townsville to Brisbane coast road for over 40 years and there is now LESS service stations than there has ever been. I have been told this isn't exclusive to Aus. The motorcycle manufacturers need to realize that and catch up or motorcycles will become as useless as electric bikes for travelling.