A little help about tyre

kosia

Hello forum I want to help about my tyres I want to put pirelli diablo rosso 2 or 3 but 190 in rear wheel what's your opinion on that? Do you have any suggest from other company (Michelin, bridgestone,etc.....)

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 2 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

goloso_b

Many people think that even 180 is too much for the bike.
Personally, I like the confidence it gives as it is. I'm currently using BT016s and they feel great (only tested in dry conditions). I rode an MT07 with Rosso IIs on the back and I liked them too.

Enviado desde mi LG-H735 mediante Tapatalk

kosia

Many people think that even 180 is too much for the bike.
Personally, I like the confidence it gives as it is. I'm currently using BT016s and they feel great (only tested in dry conditions). I rode an MT07 with Rosso IIs on the back and I liked them too.

Well 190 I think will be better looking than other more aggressive more steady more letter and more expensive

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 2 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

goloso_b

I believe the MT has a 5,5 inch rim and you would have to force a 190 tire to fit, changing tire profile. Anyway, there are a lot of discusions out there about 180-190 tires in other bikes and about the same number of different opinions XD

bobh

190 should be OK on a 5.5 inch rim. But check that there's enough clearance to the swing arm, chainguard etc.

There can be quite a bit of variation of width between tyres of nominally the same size from different manufacturers. Recently I did a quick check of my own and various mates' bikes, all fitted with 180/55 back tyres on 5.5 inch rims. IIRC, the narrrowest (and you could easily see the difference by eye) was a Michelin PR4 at 170, Conti Motion and Bridgestone S20 were both 180 and Dunlop D214 was 185. That's just using a steel tape, so not highly accurate, but it gives you some idea.

I agree with goloso, the 180 is more than enough for the MT-07. All the bikes in the width test I mentioned above have a lot more power than an MT-07(Fazer8, MT-09, ZX-6R).

Scim77

If you type "tyres" into the "Search" box you will find lots of information and opinions about tyres and tyre sizes. My own opinion is still that the 180 is already too wide for the MT-07. It creates greater gyroscopic forces than a narrower lighter tyre would do, which subsequently makes the bike feel slightly heavier and more reluctant to turn at high speed. It is also more easily unsettled by tar-banding and irregular road surfaces, sometimes causing the rear end to kick nervously. The 180 looks great but it actually impairs the bikes ability to turn.
I occasionally ride with very fast riders who are on bigger, heavier, more powerful and faster bikes than mine. My little MT looks like a toy by comparison. Their rear tyres vary between 190 down to 160 and they still corner on the footpegs and have loads of grip. Some of them are 1200cc and weigh over 240kg. The 180 rear on the MT-07 is a case of marketing style over-riding function.
Much to their credit, Yamaha have hit a winning formula with the MT-07. It is excellent value for money. The engine is terrific and it is very pleasing to look at, hence it sells like hot cakes. It is a total marketing triumph. They had to decide where to cut corners and where to spend the money. They obviously chose correctly, since their sales have eclipsed other manufacturers for some time. BUT if producing a supremely well-sorted motorcycle had been the priority, then the MT-07 would have been fitted with better suspension and better exhaust, which is why exhaust and suspension are the two most popular upgrades that we owners opt for. BUT it would have made the bike unattractively expensive and impeded sales. So Yamaha went for the bling factor of pleasing the eye with a fat rear tyre whilst using adequate but uninspiring suspension and exhaust etc.
Trade-offs are inevitable when you are selling a product. It is a cunning balancing act of creating the market 'want' at an affordable price. Yamaha have been supremely successful in this.
The 5.5" rim on the MT-07 will accept tyre widths between 170 and 190, but as BOBH rightly points out, clearance might be an issue with the 190.
If you like the 190 appearance above all else then that is your choice. But the heavier 190 rear tyre will further overwhelm the already inadequate standard suspension damping and the bike will handle like a camel. I will be fitting a 170/60/17 rear next time. Rant over!

Scim77

Within the last month I have replaced both front and rear Michelin PR3 tyres. They were on the legal 1mm limit, or just below in places, and had covered 9500miles. I have fitted Michelin PR4's front and rear but opted for the slightly narrower 170.60.17 rear, the narrowest that will fit on 5.5" rims. My first ride-out on the brand new un-scrubbed tyres was very reassuring. The accuracy and grip was still there, despite the tyres being 'green'. I have now covered over 500miles and am delighted with results. The PR4's grip in all conditions and are totally confidence-inspiring. Rolling into bends is a sheer delight and, as I had hoped, the narrower rear tyre is much less susceptible from being thrown off-course by road repairs and tar-banding irregularities. I no longer suffer from the rear end kicking around when honking around bends with poor surfaces, or indeed even in a straight line. I find myself actually seeking out poor bits of road just to emphasise the improvement in rear end control. It is not imaginary.

If you are due for a new rear tyre you should seriously consider down-sizing. The overall circumference is almost identical, so speedo and gearing are unaffected. All clearances around the swing-arm and hugger are fine. The grip is every bit as good but you will benefit from easier turning, plus significant improvements in stability over poor surfaces. If Yamaha had used a 5" rim, I would have changed to 160.60.17 without any qualms at all.

robodene

Thank you for writing that up. Very interesting. I must admit that I like the look of the 180. But an improvement in handling would make me consider a 170 and mine is beginning to square off. As always, for me anyway, I wonder how the insurers would view such a 'mod'.

Scim77

Thank you for writing that up. Very interesting. I must admit that I like the look of the 180. But an improvement in handling would make me consider a 170 and mine is beginning to square off. As always, for me anyway, I wonder how the insurers would view such a 'mod'.
I checked with my insurers first (Carol Nash) and they were happy with my changing the tyre size, provided that it was within the width range that was allowed on the rim. The 170 is approved for a 5.5" rim, although 180 is the optimum. My 170 sits nicely on the rim and does not look pinched or strange in any way. At a glance, you would not notice that it is narrower than the original and it still looks the business. But its profile is more rounded and less flat than the 180, which makes it handle and corner better. I also expect that it will be less prone to squaring off. I'll keep the group posted.